“Upscale Chinese Dining” 4 of 5 stars
Review of CinCin

CinCin
7838 Germantown Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19118 (Chestnut Hill)
215-242-8800
Neighborhood: Chestnut Hill
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Upscale Chinese Dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I frequently go to Cin Cin, partly because I'm close and because for a little more money than other Chinese I can get a more upscale dining experience. Their seasonal specialties are always good and their Chinese New Year's Banquet is terriffic.

Visited October 2013

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Fine Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I recently visited Cin-Cin again. My memory was again renewed. It is not adventurous and maybe not Chinese. The food does not resemble food found in other Chinese restaurants. But it is good and probably a fusion of Asian and European tastes. I went there with my friends because I heard they now had a Chef's Surprise Menu. This sounded appealing to me and my friends thought it would be worth a try if we could ask some questions of the waiter. The waiter immediately cautioned us against this option. I was going to go for it anyway but my friends were scared off. Too Bad! Why offer a Chef's Surprise, if the wait staff is not in favor of this "surprise" ?
Maybe I will visit again if I am in the neighborhood and order the Chef's Surprise.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
philadelphia
“Be wary of a Saturday night visit--way too noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I reluctantly returned to this place on a Saturday night because friends wanted to meet there and while the food was delicious, there were two things that occurred that would make me think twice about a return visit. The first was that we were all interested in the "chef's surprise". When we asked the waiter, he said "don't get it--I wouldn't eat it myself." One of our friends said this was the strangest thing he ever heard a waiter say. We had a discussion and decided not to get it. After we ordered we all reported our dishes were delicious. That being so, how could the chef's surprise be bad? It would have been a much better bargain in the long run since we paid as much for an appetizer and main dish and the chef's surprise included soup, appetizer, main and dessert. Was that the reason he discouraged it? That's my assessment. In the middle of the meal a group of a dozen young people were seated at the table behind us (we were a group of 6). The decibel level of the room rose to an unbearable level within seconds and we were driven out because we couldn't stand it. In my opinion a restaurant should not accept reservations for large parties unless they can seat them in separate areas of the restaurant. This is only greed.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Macon, Georgia, United States
“Superior Chinese restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This outstanding Chinese restaurant is located in the Cherry Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia on busy Germantown Avenue. Parking can be found on side streets in case the parking lot is filled. The menu is rather large but all of the dishes that I have had here have been outstanding; this opinion is based on my visits to Philadelphia for the past 20 years. 5/5 Service is friendly, courteous and prompt. 5/5 Ambience: Beautiful, quiet despite the crowd. Rating: 5/5. Value: 5/5 $$-$$$ Would I return? Absolutely, and I have for 20 years! (I wish we had this restaurant in Georgia!)

Bozeman
“A superior Chinese Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We came early, taken there by a dear friend and long time Philadelphia resident, as one of her favorites. We weren't disappointed. The service was attentive. The food was well prepared and in the new cuisine manner, in large dishes. The only problem was that one of us ordered brown rice, which wasn't available with the rest of our meal because the food is fresh and made from scratch. It was ready shortly thereafter, and taken home instead. Two of us had the crab cakes, prepared tastefully in an oriental style. My wife had the mango shrimp, prepared with large succulent pieces. Our dessert was a delicious, shared mud pie. Down-sides are parking and the high prices.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere