“Wanted to write a good review but couldn't” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Melograno

Melograno
2012 Samson St., Philadelphia, PA 19103-5517 (City Center West)
(215) 875-8116
Good for: Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center West
Merion Station, Pennsylvania
“Wanted to write a good review but couldn't”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The food was excellent, staff very good, but the restaurant was so noisy that our group of six had to yell to be heard (and we are not that old :) By the end of the evening my throat was sore and my experience ruined. To the restaurant, could you do something about the sound? It was a Sat. night, maybe during the week it is not such a problem. With so many great byobs in Philadelphia, I don't think I will go back.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
“Nice atmosphere and Tasty Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Had a nice dinner here with another couple recently. The atmosphere is very nice. The staff is friendly and attentive. I ordered the Pappardelle Tartufate (wild mushroom, walnuts, truffle oil, pecorino), which was absolutely delicious. Highly recommend this restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Succasunna, New Jersey
“Excellent BYOB”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful anniversary meal here. We brought a special bottle of wine and had a lovely evening.

The interior is plain and old fashioned with wide plank floors and wainscoting that is meant to look old. There is some exposed brick on some of the walls. The decorations are simple tea lights. It is noisy, but not a problem. We could hear each other fine at our table, but if you lifted your head you would hear the happy chatter of the other patrons. I find this typical of most city restaurants.

We had delightful, fresh salads. My husband's was a tossed salad with pomegranate reduction and mine was spinach with calamari and cannelloni beans. The greens were all crisp and fresh as if picked that day.

For entrees we chose the New York strip and risotto with shrimp. Both were cooked to perfection with nice portions.

We had tiramisu and an eggless custard with fresh berries for dessert. I was delighted the tiramisu came in the bowl it was prepared in instead of a cut piece. We have a friend from Northern Italy and this is how he prepares his version. Both were very good.

Our waitress was very good. Everything was delivered to the table at the right time. We never felt rushed or sat for too long between courses.

The rest rooms were clean and are obviously checked through out the night.

Estes Park, Colorado
“BYO & Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I went here with a group to celebrate a friend's birthday. All of the food was good. The service was attentive but not over bearing. They brought out dessert with a candle for my friend. We split a number of appetizers - the meatballs were my favorite. The appetizers were small. Just two meatballs in the order. My pasta was delicious. The dessert was the only disappointment. I split the molten chocolate cake, but it was overcooked and therefore not molten, just cake.

Sitka, Alaska
“Average, But Used to Be Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I travel for a living, and Philadelphia is a foodie's paradise. I have eaten here 4 times in the past 18 months and have always been fairly satisfied with the service, and very happy with the food. I took new friends there Saturday before 5May, and were seated promptly, although in the center of the room by hostess station. No problem, we had no reservations. We were early, 6 pm. The waitress, whom I have seen but not had the displeasure of dining with, was borderline rude. We had to ask for bread about 15 minutes after we were seated, and then waited another 5 to get it. Our entrees arrived quickly and were not cooked well. The three of us made up for the lack luster service by enjoying the wine we brought, BYO, no corkage (yay). Well, dessert plates still sitting there when we were asked by our waitress to leave. What? We ignored that and continued to finish our wine. Then the hostess came by and told us that people with reservations were waiting for our table. There was an empty 4 top behind us, an empty duce in the other room, and no one outside waiting. I have never in my life been asked to leave a restaurant. We were not loud, we are women in our 50's, very respectable. Needless to say, although I like the food, the no corkage fee on my own wine, I will not return. And since I work for an airline, I see hundreds of people every day, I will not recommend this place ever again. Too many other great BYO Italian places in this city to put up with rude service.

• Visited May 2013