“Would be the best meal I ever had for $100 but it cost $200” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vetri

Vetri
1312 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)
(215) 732-3478
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Vetri is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #126 of 3,786 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: 13th Street
Transit: SEPTA routes C, 27, and 32 stop at Broad and Spruce Streets. SEPTA route 23 stops at 12th and Spruce Streets. PATCO High Speed Line stops at Broad and Locust Streets as well as SEPTA's Broad Street Line. Regional Rail stations are located at Market East (11th and Market) and Suburban Station (16th and JFK).
Newton, Mass
“Would be the best meal I ever had for $100 but it cost $200”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

The tasting menu exposes you to many original, inventive, ambitious dishes in very manageable proportions, expertly described by the waiters, in a lovely setting, beautifully presented...but it simply wasn't great. It was good. For both the wine pairing and the food, there were lots of hits but also several misses. (Others have mentioned the caramelized onion dish as a hit; add me to that list, and the desserts were among the best I've ever had too.) It was also too eclectic; there wasn't a theme. I wasn't transported to a region of Italy, or even to Italy, really. Especially the wine pairings. The wines came from all over Europe. One strong recommendation: unless you are a major oenophile with a high tolerance, one $135 wine pairing is enough for two people, especially because the courses and pairings arrive at a fast pace. They thoughtfully allow you to share one pairing, and no one can accuse them of skimping on the pourings. A funny anecdote: one red smelled and tasted like tobacco and leather. However, by announcing this to us in advance, the sommelier attempted to turn this bug into a feature. Feature or not, if I wanted things to taste like tobacco, I'd smoke.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Philadelphia, United States
“Veni, Vedi, Vetri”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We dined with friends who are real food lovers and they are still raving about Vetri. If you are looking for a special, elegant and deliciously memorable dining experience, then Vetri is the place. The chef's seasonal menu was a delectable sequence of food choices that began and ended in perfection. We opted for the wine pairings and appreciated the thoughtful selections and enjoyed several different wines we had not previously encountered. The ambience was perfect for such a gastronomic adventure, Vetri actually plays music that enhances your dining experience. I cannot say enough about the staff. Very attentive and professional and beyond that, particularly knowledgeable about each serving of food and selection of wine.

Visited May 2014
Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
“Always a great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

This was our fourth visit to Vetri, second since they moved to the all tasting menu. Amazingly, the experience keeps getting better and better, and this remains for us the best dining experience to be had in Philadelphia. The food across the board was superb with particular standouts including the sweet onion crepe and the salt-baked quail. We chose to get both wine pairings, and each selection was carefully matched and perfectly complimentary to the dish. Service was outstanding, with Bill and Bobby making us feel both welcomed and well cared for, generously offering an extra "splash" of prosecco at the start of the meal or espresso at the end. We will of course be back.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Not as Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

This use to be the finest restaurants in Philadelphia. Perhaps we had a bad night, but we ate here in April and it was not as good as in the past. I actually had to return 2 dishes because of they were too salty. At these prices I expect the food to be exceptional.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Five star experience... one of the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I was skeptical if a meal of that expense could ever be worth it, but I had such a great experience I would definitely go back in a heart beat. The food couldn't have been better; everything was beautifully presented and out of this world delicious. It's definitely a great special occasion venue, but I can't lie that if I had deep DEEP pockets I would be there all the time. The staff are so knowledgeable and courteous and really tried to make sure we had the best meal possible. I would't recommend for someone who is going to be comparing the price tag to other meals the whole night. You have to be able to come to terms to what you're spending and just relax and enjoy the meal. Leave your frugal, uptight and complain-happy loved ones at home; you need to be able to savor and enjoy every bite!

• Visited February 2014