“This is a keeper” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Buddakan

Buddakan
325 Chestnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19106-2614 (City Center East)
215-574-9440
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Buddakan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 3,785 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Asian, Seafood, Eclectic, Pacific Rim
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th on Chestnut
usa
“This is a keeper”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had a weekday lunch, and got the bento box combination of 3 dishes for each. Only cashew chicken was disappointing, we loved everything else. Edamame ravioli are amazing. I liked the tuna tataki as well, it had a very fresh taste. We also added the eggplant dish which was big and very good. We got the dessert "bento box" - a combination of 6 pieces. Some of them were great, some just fine. I imagine that this place might be pricey and noisy at dinner time, but we were very much satisfied with ambience, service and value during our lunch and plan to come back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

South Jersey
“After So Many Rave Reviews, Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Buddakan is THE one place in the city that I have been wanting to go to for years. It's a bit pricey, and being a mom on a budget, I can never afford just to go there whenever. So I figured trying it during Center City Restaurant Week would be a good deal.

I'm not sure if it was the CCRW menu or what, but I was not impressed. Don't get me wrong, our meals were good and the service was excellent, but it was not amazing as people say that it is. The spring roll appetizer and chocolate lava cake dessert were tasty, and the pork entree was mediocre. We also ordered a pitcher of the Zengria, which was weak.

I was also surprised at the space. It was much smaller than I had imagined; it appears huge in photos.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Media,PA
“Birthday dinner and we'll go back before next year”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

It was a great night out. We had reservations (but we always do when we go into town.) The food was amazing and even though we sat right next to the bar area it was till pretty private.
Our waiter was efficient and super informative. I'm a vegetarian and he made a few recommendations that was amazing! It was loud but so aren't most restaurants.

My husband we isn't a drinker usually had there specialty drink "Enlightenment" and LOVED IT!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sewell, New Jersey
“My favorite dinner spot in Philly!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I have probably dined at Buddakan 15 times. If you love Asian-Fusion food, then you will love this place. This place has a very zen yet chic feel. The ambience feels like a nice hug to me.
The hostess is quite pleasant. There is a huge 2 story Buddah against the wall overlooking the entire space. Adding to the ambience is the long, illuminated 'communal table'. It probably seats 30 -40 people. I threw my husbands 40th birthday party here and it was fabulous!
Every single thing that I have ever eaten in Buddakan has been beyond delicious! The food is served family-style (to be shared amongst your party if you wish)(or you can gobble it all up yourself). Heck, even the brussel sprouts are great! Make your way to Buddakan and make your mouth happy! Oh, and make reservations at least 2 months in advance for weekend reservations!

Visited January 2012
Eastern Shore, Maryland
“A True Standby”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is our 5th or 6th visit to this trendy hotspot... and is was 'hot' when we were there on a Saturday night recently. It was part of my wife's birthday week-end in Philadelphia. We booked Buddakan because we knew we could eat a little lighter at some very reasonable prices.

When you walk in you're greeted by a pounding of human and musical energy. It's decor is trendy Asian and it's atmosphere is all chic. But... the service is down home, so you shouldn't get intimidated by the place.

We ordered an Asian Caesar, pork dumplings and scallops... and shared each dish... which is the best way to enjoy Buddakan. All the courses were backgrounded in an nice spice that left our mouths slightly tingly after we finished each of them. And we finished off our evening with a complimentary birthday tasty.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere