“"Morimoto is a Must!"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Morimoto

Morimoto
723 Chestnut St, Ste A, Philadelphia, PA 19106-2301 (City Center East)
215-413-9070
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Morimoto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 3,786 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Eclectic, International
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between 7th & 8th on Chestnut Street
Transit: Route 47 bus – Chestnut Street stop.
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“"Morimoto is a Must!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Morimoto has become our birthday dinner destination and it is always worth the hour drive from our home. Our teenager had Duck, Duck, Duck, my husband enjoyed his meal prepared in a stone bowl at our table, and on this evening I ordered sushi. Combine great food with fabulous cocktails and a beautiful ambience and you have Morimoto.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Urbana, Illinois
“Outstanding experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Yes this is the famous Iron Chef Morimoto. His first independent ownership after serving as chef at NY Nobu. An absolutely outstanding experience! The tasting menu is the way to go - there are two levels. The more expensive gets you items like Kobe beef and Maine lobster. Since I spend time in Maine each summer and good steak is easy to find in the midwest - these were not real attractions (there may have been other differences though), Going with the "less expensive" tasting was a great choice. Sake, or drink parings are also possible and a good choice. At any rate - bring your wallet! But it is definitely worth the price in terms of presentation, flavors, and fusion!

Visited February 2013
Aliquippa, Pennsylvania
“Best Birthday Dinner Ever.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I had the $100 sushi 7 course meal.
Amazing, each course was paired with a different cocktail. I have never had better or fresher sushi in my life. I recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants a fine meal in an amazing restaurant, the light show is fantastic.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Enjoyable Evening Out But Not The WOW I was Expecting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and another couple enjoyed an evening @ Morimoto's last night and must say it is a definite restaurant to try if you're in the Philadelphia area but can't say it was over the top in all aspects of a true "world class" dining experience from someone who some consider to be the greatest chef in the world.

We started upstairs in the lounge and quite honestly, if it were just my wife and me, probably would have enjoyed just staying up there for the meal since it was very comfortable, had excellent more personable service and was quite a bit quieter than the main restaurant area. We started with a unique tequila based drink (only tequila based drink on the menu, I believe) which was delicious and made with grapefruit, jalepeno and a dash of japanese soy based milk. This had nice heat on the tongue so if you don't enjoy jalepeno, you may not enjoy this drink but overall an enjoyable elixir.

The staff upstairs was very engaging and attentive to all questions and the space wasn't overly crowded. Good place for a couple or friends to come in to have some drinks along with excellent sushi/sashimi.

Once downstairs for dinner, I realized that the restaurant was very relaxed and somewhat loud. Surprised to see some diners in blue jeans and sneakers but hey, who enjoys a stuffy restaurant. The wait staff was very prompt, attentive and courteous while first describing the menu items before taking orders then explaining the dishes as they were served. There's was no sense of rush, which was a relief for a Saturday night and full restaurant.

The dinner started with a beautifully presented, eye appealing, delicious selection of sushi and sashimi ($60), a perfect amount for 4 people. A little pricy but well worth the indulgence. All of the pieces were extremely fresh and of the highest quality.

We moved on to a soup course which the staff was kind enough to split down two orders of the miso soup with clams to four individual servings. The broth arrived piping hot laden with 5 or so plump sweet clams per individual serving.

The entrees selected were enjoyed by all to include black cod, wasabi salmon (my wife truly enjoyed this), wild striped bass (very good but not the greatest) and something I've never seen before and prepared @ the table in a hot stone placed on the table in front of you, Ishi Taki Bops w/yellowtail tuna. You can select wagyu beef or tuna for this preparation.

Believe me, the meal was thoroughly enjoyed by all but didn't have the WOW factor you would expect from Morimoto. Our dinner host for the evening tried a unique soba based beer which sounded interesting and explained to be slightly hoppy. I'll certainly try next visit but @ $15, only one will be consumed.

My wife and I will certainly return later this spring. But honestly, I believe this would be a great stop on any evening restaurant tour in the city for just a drink or two along with a selection of sushi/sashimi enjoyed in the lounge area then move on to a different restaurant for entree and dessert. Maybe the omakase next time to try the real experience?

Enjoy!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Durham, North Carolina
“Must do the Omakase”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We had a terrific meal We did the Omakase at the mid price point and truly enjoyed the experience. Other than the table lamps that look like they belong in a bed side table. The staff was amazing. We went on a Wed evening, it was slow, and we had exceptional service. The wait staff even shared the correct way to eat certain dishes that were unusual, to ensure we had the best experience.

• Visited January 2013