“Very good food, outstanding service, idyllic location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lacroix at The Rittenhouse

Lacroix at The Rittenhouse
210 W Rittenhouse Sq, Rittenhouse Hotel, Philadelphia, PA 19103-5726 (City Center West)
215-790-2533
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Lacroix at The Rittenhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 3,786 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: 19th & Walnut
Transit: PHLASH
Description: Located in the prestigious Rittenhouse Hotel, gazing over downtown Philadelphia's most elegant square, Lacroix has become a landmark in its own right. Romantic and evocative, our dining room beckons with the luminous glow of candlelight. Indulge your palate in our world-class menu, composed of the freshest ingredients.
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Very good food, outstanding service, idyllic location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

The restaurant is located on the second floor of the Rittenhouse, on the square. We went there for Sunday brunch; the welcome was outstanding, the restaurant's General Manager was at reception welcoming guests, which boded well for the future.
Our waiter (Mark) gave us an introduction of the buffet and explained the proceedings: starters are close to the entrance, main courses are...in the kitchen and the dessert buffet is in the middle of the restaurant. The trip to the kitchen for the main course was, in my opinion, worth the visit alone.

The food was outstanding throughout, which makes one wonder why this restaurant is ommited from the michelin stars. We've eaten at star restaurants in other US cities and Europe and the food here was definitely on par. My preference in starters went to the sausage and buttermilk beignets and the scallop sausage for the main dishes. In case you're a chocoholic like me, there's dark and milk chocolate fountains and various exquisite desserts.
In terms of drinks, the mimosa and the spring garden cocktails were outstanding.
Even though the place was crowded, our server took the time to cater to our every wish, in a very professional and unobtrusive way. At the end of the meal, I asked for matches (for future use) and they were brought to us by the GM himself, who had earlier stopped at our table to enquire how we were doing.
In short, if you want a slice of extra-good on your plate and in terms of service, visit the Lacroix.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sylvain B, General Manager at Lacroix at The Rittenhouse, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear Nicolas_Kar,

Thank you for your warm review! We truly strive for excellence at Lacroix. I look forward to making your next experience another pleasant one.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Anniversary delight”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Took my girlfriend there for our anniversary. Ambiance is excellent! The only downside the view was of the parking lot. Food was exquisite and the waiters were very professional and courteous...It is pricey but for a special occasion it's well worth it...don't take a first date there...that would be a bit much.

Dear DeuceZ,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Lacroix. I am elated you truly enjoyed your anniversary dinner. We look forward to having you and yours again.

South San Francisco, California
“very good food and excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Top-notch service. The staff was very friendly and patient with our group, which had a few older members who walk and/or sit slowly. We were impressed by how any member of the staff was able explain all the courses and how they were made. The food was also beautifully presented and overall quite good, and the wine pairings very interesting. We did the $120 Chef's Tasting, which included an amuse-bouche, 6 small entrees, and 2 small dessert courses. All courses were at least very good, and some courses were even spectacular, especially when they were perfectly matched with the wine. We were especially surprised but pleased to receive sweet-ish wines like sherry and gewurtztraminer that we usually associate with dessert alongside earlier courses. I asked ahead for the restaurant to do something nice for my mother's birthday, and they complied with a small cake with a candle for the birthday "girl". She loved it. Dining here definitely made for a memorable evening and an excellent way to celebrate a special birthday.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear nlgenxer,

Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to hear we made your mothers birthday, a very special one. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Phenomenal wine paring event”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had been to Lacroix before and loved the food and the views of Rittenhouse Square but this was special: six courses paired with wines (and Cognacs for the desert course) plus an hour-long reception with cocktails beforehand, all for $195. (Per Se in Manhattan is now $295 PLUS wines so this seemed like a bargain; and it was.) First off, some interesting cocktails made with Belvedere Black and a variety of hors d'oeuvres, the most outstanding of which (all were great) was a tasting spoon with edamame humus, tuna tartar (yellowfin?) and pickled jalapeno. I have stolen the recipe for my Christmas party. First course: "live" scallop with cranberry ponzu, shisho and cucumber. A fascinating combination that paired perfectly with a Veuve Cliquot, Rose, NV. I normally love the Widow's orange label, but the rose had just enough extra to punch through the ponzu's mild acidity. Second: my least favorite course was an attempt to reimagine buttermilk fried chicken. Nice effort and not bad but not spectacular. However, the pairing was worth it: Ruinart, Blanc de Blanc, NV. This 100% chardonnay Champagne is from one of the oldest (possible the oldest?) estates and was sublime, although it suffered slightly from following the rose. Third: a cannelloni filled with a rich mix of manila clams, escargot, parsley root and Meyer Lemon. Excellent. The wine was a Sauvignon Blanc, Cloudy Bay, Marlborough, New Zealand. I started out with a negative bias because I find most NZ sauvignon blancs to be too grapefruitty; this wine from one of the pioneer NZ houses was above average for the genre. Fourth: smoked duck breast with maitake mushrooms. Solid performer again. It was paired, however, with a wine that blew me away: Numanthia, Termes, Toro, Spain. I had never ben a huge fan of Tempranillo but this 100% version was incredibly rich with forward black currant dominating; the dry climate of Toro made the grapes work hard and dig deep and the result was spectacular. Fifth: dry aged beef (by this point they could easily have made the portions smaller) very well prepared with a Cheval de los Andes, Mendoza, Argentina. This is a collaboration between Cheval Blanc of Bordeaux and local producers and is a blend of the region's most recognized grape Malbec and Cabernet Sauvignon. Another winner. Finally, a trio of deserts were accompanied by another trio: Hennessy Black, VSOP and XO. All were good, the XO was exceptional. Service was impeccable, especially with the whole restaurant seated at once. The view of Rittenhouse Square was enhanced by Christmas lights. The sommelier was constantly on the move discussing the wines (this was a production with Moet Hennessy) and the Sous Chef even came out to chat at the end. A final note on service: my wife looked chilly to one of the servers (the windows on Rittenhouse are floor to wall) and so he brought her a cashmere stole for the duration. Get on their email list for announcements of any upcoming wine pairings! But don't wait, try it any time for a regular lunch or dinner. It is located in the Rittenhouse Hotel; so book a room and do not plan to drive home.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear Australopithecus1,

Thank you for your review. I am elated to see you enjoyed your experience with us. And we look forward to your next visit.

Phila
“Not worth it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

My lunch bunch group chose this for our holiday luncheon. I was not impressed. The setting was beautiful, however, the menu was very limited. I had a hard time choosing something. When it arrived, the presentation was lovely. I suppose the food was good, what there was of it. The portion could be considered miniscule. After lunch, the fun continued. I got to wait around 45 minutes in lousy weather for the valet to bring around my car. And spend more than $20 for the privilege of parking there. Never again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear Lindabu,

Happy New Year to you and yours, and thank you for your review. At Lacroix we take the time to carefully craft a special dining experience for each and every guests. I truly apologize that your experience for your Holiday Lunch did not meet your expectation. We would love a chance to make it up to you and yours.

Upon your next visit, please ask for me - personally. I will see to it that your experience is a riveting one, looking forward to hearing from you.

Sylvain