“I wouldn't go back” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Karma Fine Indian Cuisine

Karma Fine Indian Cuisine
114 Chestnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)
(866) 906-3173
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Karma Fine Indian Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #283 of 3,843 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Portland, Oregon
“I wouldn't go back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

The food was really mixed - some good some not so great. the lighting was terrible and depressing, the wines expensive and not that great. I don't know, it just wasn't great overall. I'd say skip it.

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Stay away”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

This place had a very disgusting smell when we walked in . Do not recommend food was horrible. We just took one bite and left it was very bad.

Visited January 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Best Indian food in the city - hands down!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

Karma is hands down the best Indian restaurant in the city. My husband and I eat Indian food a couple of days per week as he himself is from India and misses the food if he hasn't had it in a couple days. We have brought his family from India to eat at Karma and they absolutely love it.
The service is average and I would agree that it's good to get a table in a spot where you are visible from the bar where the waiters seem to congregate. What Karma lacks in service it makes up for with the food. Karma has a lunch buffett on weekdays and on the weekends which is very reasonably priced. It's good, but I like my food a bit more spicy so I prefer to order off the menu instead.
The food is the kind of authentic Indian food you'd get if you went out to eat in India - not like home cooking, it's a bit more rich. Portion sizes are nice and the dishes are not too heavy on the cream. If you order one entree it will come with rice and it is enough for 2-3 meals for me, more like 2 meals for my husband. Our favorites are the lamb roganjosh, chicken or lamb korma, and chicken saag. Let me tell you that anyone I've recommended the chicken saag to has come back to tell me that they found it to be absolutely to-die-for. Order it slightly spicy at least and get it with some raita and roti and you will not be disappointed. If you're into the heavier breads go for the onion kulcha or garlic naan. They are awesome as well. Enjoy!

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Five star service and food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

A group of friends, who happen to be vegetarians, came to visit. I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy -- so I was at a loss as to where to go to meet everyone's needs. They suggested Indian, so went to Karma. When we walked in the door, we were greeted by a friendly, but quiet, host who made great eye contact and flashed us a great smile. We felt at home being seated in an over-sized, plush, comfortable booth in the back of the restaurant -- which was large enough to accommodate our party. The booth was great as the adults could have "grown-up" discussions on one side of it, while the kids entertained themselves at the other end.

My friends ended up finding 7-8 various appetizers and main courses to satisfy their needs. They were thrilled (especially the kids). I sampled their dishes that featured flavorful potatoes, cauliflower, naan and other vegetarian goodies. Everything tasted great. When it came to my own dish, I ordered the Chicken Tikka. The meat came out steaming hot from the kitchen. It was perfectly cooked! It was attractively set on a plate with potatoes. The meat itself was expertly seasoned and tender!

The servers that helped us were incredibly patient and attentive. We never had to ask for water refills. They brought us ample sauces. They returned quickly when we ordered more bread. They made great recommendations to accommodate everyone's needs. Most importantly, they made us feel like we were the only one's in the restaurant.

The service was five star, as was the food! The decor and atmosphere were great too! If you can, check out Karma. Karma also has a great buffet during lunchtime.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
West Hempstead, New York
“That was so tasty!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

Just checked out a great Indian restaurant, Karma. The restaurant had all the right elements.
1. Great food- All my dishes were spiced just right and cooked to perfection.
2. Superior Service - From the moment I walked the staff took care of me. The waiter filled my glass every time it was low, reviewed the specials with me, explained what each dish was, and checked if I needed anything else.
3. Price - The price was just right!

• Visited July 2011