“Great for Restaurant Week!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #88 of 3,484 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Bar scene, Doing business, Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: At the corner of Broad & Chestnut
Description: The Avenue of the Arts is the perfect avenue to dry aged steaks, too. Philadelphia Magazine declared The Capital Grille “a carnivore’s dream.” Top off your fabulous meal with dreamy Chocolate Espresso Cake or Crème Brulée. Then stroll it off on your way to Kimmel Center or the theatre.
Mount Royal, New Jersey
“Great for Restaurant Week!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We made our first trip to the Capital Grille during the second week of Restaurant Week, and we were extremely pleased. We hate when you are treated like a second class citizen when you go during this time, but at Capital Grille, this was not the case.
For our starter, my husband upgraded to the lobster bisque, which he really enjoyed. I had a big caesar salad with fresh parmesan, which was delicious. We each had the Filet Mignon with creamed spinach and mashed potatoes, and it was extremely tender and cooked to perfection. For dessert, I had the creme brulee, which was the best I ever had, and he had a chocolate espresso cake, which he loved.
The service was exellent. Our waitress was wonderful, and everything came out quickly, but not so quick that we were rushed.
My only complaint would be the mass chaos when you walk in the door. It was on a Wednesday night, and it looked like a Saturday night. The place was so packed that it was hard to even get in the door and get to the hostess. The same thing happened on the way out. We had a reservation and were seated very quickly, so it was not a huge issue, and the crowd might have been due to restaurant week.
We're really looking forward to going again!

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“What's not to like”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Great steak, great salads and appetizers, and a great wine list. You really can't go wrong here. Have eaten here many times and see no reason to stop.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“wonderful food marred by atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

First of all...the steaks here are fantastic! My husband and I agreed that we haven't had such good beef anywhere in a long time. Unfortunately, the atmosphere so totally marred our evening that we probably will return to our favorite "other steak place" in the city in the future. The table was very close to others so that we could hear conversations, the lighting fixture above us is cracked creating a scary image of "hope the rest of the glass doesn't fall on our plate", but it was the distinctive dressing down of the other patrons that was especially off-putting. I don't consider myself a clothes snob but really...is it a new trend to make a point of wearing a t-shirt when dropping an average car payment for dinner? It wasn't just one person either...I felt like I was dining at McDonalds. A shame because our service was outstanding and the food wonderful...

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Distinctively Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

OK, so I have to start the review by stating that we visited the Grille during Restaurant Week, which in Philly is when every establishment offers a $35 dinner. The idea is allow people to try the food, and hopefully convert them into repeat customers. We visit the Grille 3-4 times a year, so took the opportunity to treat my son to a good steak. Alas , on this occasion we were let down.

Walking in a few minutes early we went to the bar and were greeted by a rude and grumpy bartender who didn't even make eye-contact. It wasn't just us, if you weren't a known regular you were treated with disdain. Not a great first impression. A Cosmo and a gin and tonic ran to $25 so watch the alcohol orders. After being seated the service was pleasant without being amazingly good. We ordered a variety of appetizers, a soup, a herb green salad and Caesar salad. Each was OK but not great, although its hard to excel on that kind of fare. By coincidence we each ordered the filet mignon, and although perfectly cooked it was disappointing in taste. Yet again the food was good without being great.

To be fair, in the past we have had a five star experience at the Capital Grille, but since my policy is just to rate the most recent experience. I do feel that the restaurant is in a very slow decline. In the past month I've dined at Flemings in Baltimore and Trulucks in Dallas and both offered better food and service at a comparable price. And I didn't feel like I was getting ripped on the booze.

If you want a good steak in Philly you have other options like Barclay Prime, Morton's and Butcher/Singer. This isn't popular wisdom, but that's my opinion.

“great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We've eaten here a few times, the steaks are always cooked perfectly and the seasonings seem to complement the beef without overpowering it. The Kona Rub was a little strong but unexpectedly worked well to enhance the flavor of the steak. For a more private (couples/romance) dining spot, request a booth in the section behind the bar - these are smaller and cozier. The bar does fill up and get quite noisy later in the evening, but the drinks are well made - we especially enjoy the Stoli Doli martini.

• Visited April 2012