“great Cuban food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alma de Cuba

Alma de Cuba
1623 Walnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)
215-988-1729
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Alma de Cuba is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 3,843 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Latin, International, Eclectic, Cuban
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: Between 16th and 17th
Transit: Take the Broad Street Line to Walnut-Locust Station. Walk 2.5 blocks West; The 42 Bus Route Runs on Walnut Street and Locust Street. 17th Street stop.
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“great Cuban food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This is an excellent restaurant, with really good Cuban food. Be warned, though - the food is very, very filling and you'll find yourself full after the appetizer. I dined with a colleague and we both ordered the black bean soup as an appetizer. It was absolutely delicious, but the portion was large and to save room, neither of us finished the soup. She had the roast chicken and I had the roast pork (lechon). My lechon was beautifully, perfectly prepared, and if I had room I would have had more than about 4 bites! The portion was huge, too. Dessert was not possible, we were so stuffed. So we both went home with substantial leftovers. Next time, I will fast until dinnertime, and only order an entree, so I can finish it all while I'm at the restaurant!

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Madrid, Spain
“Beautiful restaurant, but the food is not my type”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

This is a great restaurant to visit because of its decoration, but do not expect too much from the food, unless you are a cuban food lover. Service is normal and the food I believe is too heavy. You really need to like to eat anything, considering you are able to know what you are eating.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Delightful and delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Best mojito in town!
You've got to try vaca frita -- simply delicious. Ceviche is outstanding. Not a big fan of the desserts though.

Visited December 2013
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Perfect evening out with my lovely wife!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Just a few short blocks from our Hotel Palomar, we found this very romantic destination for dinner. The minute you walk into Alma de Cuba your transported to Cuba's heyday, as the worlds entertainment and dinner destination. Decorated with comfortable white leather chairs, soft red lighted accents, and subtle flashes of pictures from Cuba, you feel as if your enjoying the same atmosphere hollywood stars of days gone by use to escape to Cuba to enjoy. Thank you Alma de cuba for bringing Cuba to life in this one of a kind unique restaurant. The food in not your normal american fare, but it's rich in flavor, with excellent presentation, proper portion for the price and well worth your time. It was a perfect combination to our Theatre experience in Philly. I love fried plantains, they know how to do them here. GREAT SERVICE! Don't miss the Alma de cuba when your visiting Philly.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good food and servers who are proud of their restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

This is the second time I have eaten here, and a first for my husband. Our server meticulously described each appetizer, entree and drink with a sense of pride. He said he has been with the restaurant since it opened. I had the black bean soup as an appetizer then as an entree, the scallop dish and my husband had the Vaca Frita, Both were excellent and we had half the dish to take home, portions are large. And the mango martini was terrific.

• Visited November 2013