“Much More than a Bar, Creative Cusine in Stylish Surroundings” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Owl Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #205 of 3,785 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Corner of 5th & Chestnut
Transit: Market East Station - When exiting the station walk East on Market Street until you reach 5th street. Make a right onto Chestnut St. For additional directions please see http://www.monaco-philadelphia.com/map/index.html
Mount Vernon, Maine
“Much More than a Bar, Creative Cusine in Stylish Surroundings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

A lot of the reviews on this site make the Red Owl Tavern sound like it is mostly for breakfast or drinks. But I have had dinner there 3 times and have really enjoyed myself each time. The cuisine is distinctive, particularly strong with regard to meats. My favorite items were the house-made sausages (an appetizer), the pork confit (an entree), the lamb shank (also an entree), and the venison with dried fruits and port wine-braised cabbage (again, an entree). Also worth noting are two of the salads, one with port wine roasted pears and the other a frisee. My only complaint is the wine list, which compared to the food is pretty unimaginative and a bit overpriced.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hey JPTOM,

Thank you so much for your review and comments about our dishes! I love the lamb shank too- it just falls off the bone- YUM! We hope to welcome you back soon for an even more delicious round 4!

Sarasota
“Haven for travel savvy diners/drinkers.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Since I was traveling solo, the Red Owl Tavern became my welcome sanctuary for 3 nights of my business trip to Philadelphia.
Happy hour my first night gave me a well priced way to sample a dish I love from my days living in Paris: roasted marrow bones. It sounds awful but it is a treat to savor. The presentation was new and exciting and the taste was great. I am a fan of craft IPA's so I had a good pairing.

I am also a Slow Food enthusiast and locavore. I enjoyed the selection of quality ingredients.

The next two nights I had chili and a burger and some other artisan beer choices from the draft menu.

All around, I was made to feel welcome, recognized upon my return and recommend Red Owl Tavern. Located along side the Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, it is worth checking out.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Hi Sarasko!

I am so glad to hear that we made you feel welcome on your business trip- a little home away from home! Chef Guillermo Tellez does an amazing job with our bone marrow- I am so happy that it brought back memories of life in Paris. We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back when you're in Philly again!

Sayville, New York
“relaxed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This restaurant in our hotel was very welcome and convenient for
breakfast to start our day. The food was average and perfect for
what we were looking for. Not expensive good food to get you started. To be fair we only ate breakfast here. The staff was lovely and efficient. We had breakfast here every morning of our
stay because we knew it was not expensive, it would always be good and we could get out and start our day quickly. The menu
had many fine choices - something definitely for everyone. If not,they surely would accommodate you.

Visited April 2013
Dear Jane O,

Thank you for starting your days off with us while staying at the Hotel Monaco! I'm so happy that we could be your consistent go-to for breakfast- they do say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day! We hope to see you again soon!

Hillsborough, North Carolina
“breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Had afternoon drinks there, nice bartender.

Breakfast there was.....well.....a regular breakfast. Hard to mess up, couple of scrambled eggs, house fries, and bacon.

Basicaly, coffee cup and oj glasses were kept full, the meal was fine and the bill was in the $40 range for the two of us.

If you are wanting to get a head start on the day, if you day includes Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, and the other spots around "old city" the location of this would be ideal. Set in the lobby of the Hotel Monaco, it's literally across the street from Independence Hall and The Liberty Bell. We got there a little after 8 a.m., no crowds at all, and we were in and out in no time. It was starting to get a lot busier as we were leaving.

Came in from a show at Wells Fargo around 11'ish on a Saturday night and the place looked pretty busy however.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Natalie P, General Manager at Red Owl Tavern, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Hey Fortunes_Formula!

Thanks for starting your morning off with us at the Red Owl Tavern! I'm glad that we could provide you with a yummy breakfast before you saw all that historic Philly has to offer. Please stop by next time you're in town.

Cheers,
Natalie Pineda
Dansville, New York
“For lunch, a beer and Red Owl Chili are hard to beat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My wife and I stopped at Red Owl Tavern for lunch while sight-seeing in the National Historical Park section of downtown Philadelphia. We both ordered the Red Owl Chili. I told our waiter it was about the best chili I've ever had (and at 76 I've eaten a lot of variations on chili!). If you're from Texas you probably won't want to touch it. If you think chili should blow your ears off, bring tears to your eyes, and burn both entering and leaving, you will think this chili is wimpy. But if you simply appreciate expert seasoning and a perfect blend of ingredients with a nice spicy "bite", then Red Owl chili is perfect for you, as it was for us. Add a nice local beer of your choice, and you have a lunch to remember. We were there an hour or so past noon-time lunch rush, and the service was quite prompt. Our chili was hot (temperature-wise). Our waiter was polite and helpful. This was the best of our lunch experiences during our three-day visit to the Philly area.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Hi Larry H,

Wow- the best chili you've ever eaten?! We are so proud of what our executive chef Guillermo Tellez is doing in the kitchen and I am so thrilled that you think so too! Thank you so much for choosing to dine with us on your trip to Philly and we really hope to see you again soon!