“Great service - Delicious food” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #652 of 3,786 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Thai
“Great service - Delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Roe is a "go to" Asian restaurant in old city for both me and my wife. The service has always been tremendous and the food is delicious. We always stuck to the noodle dishes (the drunken noodles are my favorite) but this time we went with their sushi and were not disappointed. The staff is always super friendly. There aren't many tables so seating could be a problem on a really busy night, but we've never had a problem. Roe will definitely satisfy your appetite and not hurt your wallet.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Great food, reasonable value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Having just come back from this restaurant my girl-friend were both thoroughly impressed with our sushi. Though we used a Groupon deal, I would still disagree with the above post regarding overpricing. Though not cheap, I believe the price is warranted as the food was excellent. I will definitely recommend this place to others passing through the area.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good Food but a Little Pricy Even for Old City”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I hate giving an "average" rating to a restaurant with good food, but the quality is negated by the price and the fact that the food didn't "wow" me for what I paid. I'm getting ahead of myself though.

First, I ate at Roe, a Thai-Japanese fusion restaurant in Old City Philly for lunch with a friend. Lunch consisted of a Thai-styled Iced Tea, a Coke, Beef Teriyaki, A Thai Beef and Ginger Salad of some type, some assorted sushi and the ubiquitous miso soup for both of us. Keep mind that this is from the actual lunchtime menu. All of the food was good though the teriyaki tasted a bit, well, Kikkoman store sauce like. My friend liked his salad and we liked the sushi but didn't love it.

Now, for price. Lunch cost without the tip nearly $70. The nearby Cuba Libra, a good yet notoriously expensive place in Old City (which I DO recommend) would have been less for more, similar or better quality food. That is completely out of line for the quality of the food we had.

The proprietor, the staff and the atmosphere were all excellent and I did in fact like the place. I just can't justify ever eating there for dinner when lunch prices were so high. In their defense, they DID have some cheaper "specials," but I want what I want, not what's recommended as cheaper.

• Visited October 2012