“Great new farm-to-table dining (BYO)” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Russet is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #580 of 3,720 restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Continental
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between 15th and 16th
Philadelphia
“Great new farm-to-table dining (BYO)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This was our first visit to this newish restaurant. I was struck by how busy it was with a variety of diners, many on the young side. The menu was a bit limited, but everything was excellent. The farmers who provided the evening's food also received credit on the menu. The service was just right and the small dining room was never too noisy. I highly recommend the duck, but it might not be on the menu when you go. This is a great place for couples and for business guests. The fact that it is a BYO makes it even more accessible.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
TLV
“The veg dish was bad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Very dark (you need your cell-phone to read the menu.
I order the only Veg dish that they offer.
Not tasty. Some roots and vegetables floating in water.
It costs 28$ per dish. I did not enoy it and I remained hungry.
- - - - - - -

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia
“One of the Best BYOs in Philly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

A dining experience not to be missed in Philadelphia if you are into the BYO experience. The menu is small, creative, and changes weekly. Food is extremely well prepared, using local ingridents whenever abailable. Wait staff is knowledgable and attentive. Steps from the Kimmel Center, and a great choice for pre-theater dining.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Haverford, Pennsylvania
“Almost amazing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Great find just a block from the Kimmel Center. My wife and I went for brunch before a show, and when we arrived at 11 o'clock we were the only ones there! It was great, because it can be hard to find seats for great brunch in the city. By the time we left at 12:30 it was pretty packed. As others have said, very limited menu, but honestly, I don't mind a small menu. If all the dishes are excellent, then does that matter? My wife is from Northern California and the Woods (married chef/pastry chef) really bring a lot of their experience from the California area to the restaurant. It's a good foray into the trendy locally sourced, farm to table eating experience. We didn't have a bad dish, from my wife's goat ricotta omelette to my chestnut crepe with prosciutto and maitake mushrooms. The potato soup with watercress/bacon was also quite good. We tried the chestnut cake which was good, but not great. Overall, it's really close to being amazing. We are certainly going to head back to try their dinner menu and give an updated review. Only thing I would mention is our service was quite slow considering we were the only patrons in the whole restaurant. If you're looking for an open table for brunch on your way to the show, definitely consider Russet, you'll enjoy it.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, PA
“Worth a Try, Great Concept”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Kudos to the ownership of this restaurant for its focus on sustainable, organic and local foods. I must say I am very biased toward this type of endeavor and so very much want to write a glowing review, but I can't. Understand that you will pay a little more for sustainable and organic foods (unless you consider your drug and hospital costs down the road, in which case this food is an amazing investment in your body) and you typically pay a little more for a "bring your own bottle" as the house doesn't have the opportunity to make profit from booze. That said, we thought the pricing was a little on the high side relative the portions and the overall taste of the food underwhelming. We have been to other sustainable restaurants in Phila and otherwise and have had more flavorful meals.

I started with the house cured pancetta which was disappointing to me, and not because it wasn't delicious, it was. The pancetta was served in bacon strips meaning one has to spend a lot of surgical time removing fat to get to the minimal meat. I thought it would be served more in a block so that one could slice of the meat sections and have a more substantial taste of this well prepared meat. If you are an affectionado, go for it. If not, pass on this one as you will have minimal meat to eat, althought the accompanying salad greens were super fresh and tasty. My partner had house-made parpadelle which she thought was good but a very minimal serving. The appetizers run from $11 and up.

I thoroughly enjoyed my brisket which was served with deliciously braised cabbage and some root vegetables in a very nice reduced sauce. The meat was well prepared and tasty. I would order this again in a heartbeat. My partner was not thrilled with her salmon, which she thought tasted only so-so, but she too enjoyed the accompanying vegetables. Entrees ran imainly between $25 AND 35.

We had a 3 selection cheese plate for dessert which was also so-so. The smokey blue was delicious and different, but the other two were undescribable. The cheese plate was served with some hard cracker strips. I would suggest that you hold on to your bread, we had multi-grain which was delicious, and use that for your cheese plate.

All in all, we do not regret trying this restaurant and suggest you do too. That said, it didn't give us anything in particular for which we want to return. The menu is limited with about 5-6 selections for appetizers and entrees but the selections are varied and include reasonable options for vegetarians. We commend the chef and owners for the efforts and wish them well with this venture.

• Visited February 2013