“Fascinating flavor combos in comforting food” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Vernick Food and Drink is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 3,843 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bistro
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 20th
Transit: Broad Street Line: Walnut-Locust station Market-Frankford Line: 15th Street station
Description: Located at 2031 Walnut Street in the Rittenhouse Square area of Philadelphia, Vernick Food & Drink is an inviting neighborhood bistro. Chef Gregory Vernick focuses on using extraordinary regional products to create a menu of approachable, globally-inspired dishes. The "Drink" side of Vernick Food & Drink features craft cocktails, as well as careful selection of domestic and imported wines and beers. Since opening, Vernick Food & Drink has earned accolades from Food & Wine, Bon Appetit, James Beard Foundation, StarChefs and more.
Mahwah, New Jersey
“Fascinating flavor combos in comforting food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

As you can read from other reviewers, there is much to rave about here. It has a casual Brooklyn-esque feel to the place and we were seated promptly for our 9 p.m. reservation. We were perfectly happy about this, but you should note that the pace of service is attentive but deliberately relaxed - this is not a hurry up and order sort of place.

We chose to make our dinners out of small plates. A truly nice and notable element of this experience was that after we each chose three small plates plus a veggie to share, the server offered to sequence our "courses" for us and we were very glad he did. So many times when you order a collection of small plates at other restaurants they get all squirrelly and random about when to bring them. He and his colleagues delivered our plates where each of us got one of our selections at a pace and order that really made culinary sense - almost like a tasting menu that we created ourselves. Another really nice element was that my hubby who can't drink could order some nicely crafted non-alcoholic cocktails. At one point the server suggested letting the bartender create something for him and he said it was very delicious.

And then there is the food itself. Bottom line: super deelish! You kind of have to try one or two of their "toast" options as a starter. Basically they top a nice cut of grilled country bread with yummy stuff and cut it into three little sections. I loved the avocado and pickled radish and hubby was happy with his crabmeat topping. Other highlights were the grilled romaine wedge stuffed with melted cheddar and slices of fresh fig, the pork belly and pear salad and the tiny Brussels sprouts with an ancho caramel glaze (you eat them with a spoon). All of the savory dishes were simply spectacular. I wasn't super thrilled with my Meyer lemon pudding with pistachio meringue - as expected it was kind of like a cold soufflé but I just didn't love the flavors. My hubby did love his small cherry brownie with chocolate gelato. Even my cup of decaf coffee was well balanced and full flavored which was truly notable towards the end of dinner service around 11 p.m.

The staff all seem really engaged with the food they're serving and are truly happy when you enjoy your experience. All in all we both felt that hands down this was the best meal we've ever had in Philadelphia over the years we've been visiting here.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Really??”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were really excited to try this restaurant and we left incredibly underwhelmed and disappointed. The restaurant looks good from outside and inside it has a really good vibe.

The service is attentive but strange. We seemed to have 4-5 different servers over the course of the meal. We couldn't really figure out the roles of each. They were each very nice but one or two lacked the professionalism one would expect at a restaurant of this caliber.

The menu and food were the most disappointing. The menu is rather limited and a bit odd. The whole fish of the day special was 62.00 which is a bit steep for any type of fish.

Each of the items that we ordered was extremely salty. The pasta dish and potato dish were so salty they were terrible.

The snapper was good but not outstanding.

Maybe it just wasn't their night, but, our experience at vernick was nothing like we expected it would be.

Visited February 2014
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Awesome on all accounts!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Made first visit to Vernick for a first date! My dinner companion is vegan of which I had advised the restaurant in advance. When making the reservation, they not only informed me that they were happy to accommodate his dining needs, but also reaffirmed this upon our arrival. The service was impeccable and the atmosphere was very comfortable and conducive to conversation (we sat in a window upstairs on a very cold night and they happily made adjustments to the air system so we were warm!). I had the chicken and cannot wait to go back for it. I noticed many people around me also ordered it. They created a vegan dish for my date which he still talks about to this day! I only wish we had room to eat more!

I choose this location because of tripadvisor reviews and could not have been more happy. Thank you tripadvisor! T

• Visited January 2014
Winsted, Connecticut
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

My boyfriend and I just HAD to make a reservation at the #1 place in philly while we were visiting. We were definitely not disappointed. We were surprised to see that the place was much less pretentious than we had been expecting, with some people dressed up, but nothing too fancy. The inside was beautiful and we were sat at a cute table on the 2nd floor. We ordered an array of small plates and were immediately presented with a small taster compliments of the chef. It was a corn chowder and absolutely fantastic. We tried the sea urchin in the warm scrambled egg. Although I discovered that sea urchin is definitely not for me, the scrambled egg was light, fluffy and delicious. The toast small plate topped with cherry was my least favorite. I found the toast slightly soggy and the whole dish to lack flavor. However the braised rabbit with peas and pasta was by far my favorite meal on this earth so far. The rabbit was unbelievably tender and delicious. The pork dish and potato side were also cooked to perfection. Finally, the blueberry pie dessert was absolutely heavenly!! I would drive across the US just to have it again! The prices were not bad. I would definitely recommend this place. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited August 2013
Washington Crossing, Pennsylvania
“Deserves the top spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We have been looking forward to trying Vernick for some time, and were lucky enough to get an 8 pm res on a Sat. night. The restaurant lived up to our high expectations. The food was outstanding - we tried to sample a range of small plates and large plates. The oysters, octopus and tagliatelle were all delicious, as was the perfect roast chicken! Fantastic! And the desserts - we wished we had ordered more! Can't wait to go again - and bring friends!

• Visited January 2014