Simply put, this is one of the finest dining experiences I have ever had...and I have been in the restaurant business for over 30 years. A lot goes into a statement like this! The simple truth is there are many good restaurants that hit on one, two or three aspects of a great dining experience. The tuna was fantastic, the beef tartare was out of this world, our pasta with duck was fresh, tasty and a huge delight and the brussell sprouts were simply the best I have ever had. Vernick Food and Drink hits on all of them.
1. Food - can't say enough about our experience of the food. From the knowledgeable waitress, to the proper and exciting description of the items, to the presentation and finally to the flavors. Wow ! Fresh ingredients, expertly put together, creative presentation and just really wonderful tastes.
2. Service - from the inquiry over the phone to the hostesses to the waiters and waitresses, hands down this was pne of the most pleasant aspects of this business. Oh yes, this is what so many people who open up restaurants forget...they are running... a business. Vernick's gets it; customer first, be professional and pleasant, train everyone to perfection and be passionate about customers and what you do. Our waitress was a lovely young woman who knew everything about the food, presented it in an unpretentious way and was delightful. Other waitresses attened to our table during the veening because they all cover each other's backs and even took the time to say goodbye. Bingo; Vernick has it.
3. Ambiance/Atmosphere - the interesting thing about Vernick is that it appeared t me that anyone could feel at home here; hispsters, a work crowd, parents, grnadparents. They seem to be able to make a seamless blend between having energy but not have it take over the place. Kudos to having a beat and some funk but not to the point of being deafening!!! Also the feel of the restaurant is upscale, comfortable. It makes the perfect coupling to a fabulous meal.
4. Price - what I so appreciated about the restaurant is they have not gotten out of control with their pricing. The cost for the meal is very reasonable and that ingratiates a business to repeat customers.
5. Portion Size - most restaurants today are turning out monster portions of really bad food or tiny portions for crazy sums of money because they believe it's the in thing to do. Vernick gets the idea of making great food at reasonable prices and creating a portion size that allows you as a diner to experience the greatness of this chef without feeling overloaded.
6. Ownership - any owner who is still walking the floors of the restaurant with a baby about 2 weeks away!!! really cares about her business. She stopped by our table and within seconds we felt like old friends. We were so happy for her and her husband; the chef and told them they easily rival the great restaurants of New York.
This is a great restaurant. Treat yourself while you are in Philly!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.