“Delightful” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Vernick Food and Drink is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 3,786 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bistro
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 20th
Transit: Broad Street Line: Walnut-Locust station Market-Frankford Line: 15th Street station
Description: Located at 2031 Walnut Street in the Rittenhouse Square area of Philadelphia, Vernick Food & Drink is an inviting neighborhood bistro. Chef Gregory Vernick focuses on using extraordinary regional products to create a menu of approachable, globally-inspired dishes. The "Drink" side of Vernick Food & Drink features craft cocktails, as well as careful selection of domestic and imported wines and beers. Since opening, Vernick Food & Drink has earned accolades from Food & Wine, Bon Appetit, James Beard Foundation, StarChefs and more.
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Delightful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Had an excellent dinner here, seated at counter watching activity of the kitchen (looked so fun that we asked to move there from the table that we had reserved). Staff was very helpful and fun to talk to, food was very nicely done, and out of the ordinary. Would love to return here again.

Visited May 2013

Vancouver BC
“2nd choice a nice selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I am in Philly for a few days and tried to get a table at Vedge but couldn't secure a reservation. So I chose Vernick based on its Tripadvisor rating.
We had an early seating ( 630pm) and the bar was already full as was most of the tables upstairs, where we sat. The room was very well staffed and we had attentive servers filling water, bringing cocktails and clearing plates. I enjoyed an Old Cuban cocktail which was lovely- a tight cocktail with flavor but not sweet- a great intro to a meal. I started with the grilled octopus which was the highlight of my meal- it was charred to perfection and perfectly balanced with the acidity of the salad of green tomatoes and fennel. My dinner companion raved about her creamy mozzarella and rhubarb plate. For mains, I had the halibut which was steamed and in a broth. It had a sweetness I couldn't define and although cooked perfectly lacked a bit of depth. My guest had the veal on lentils and really enjoyed it. I ordered the parfait for dessert which was amazing- olive cake layered with marscapone and berries in an old fashioned mason jar. I had to finish is despite my fullness- it would be best shared! Dinner for two with 3 cocktails, 2 starters, 2 mains, one dessert and one espresso rang in at $125.00. Glad I tried it while in a food city with many choices.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Northern Virginia
“Great Small Plates Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Despite Open Table saying the restaurant was booked, two of us dropped in on a Saturday for an early (5:30 pm) dinner. We chose to sit at the bar, since we suspected that even though there were empty tables, they were likely reserved.

Service at the bar is a function of how busy the bartender is with drinks service, and this one was very busy. So we cut him a bit of slack for that. All in all, the service was just fine.

The food, on the other hand, was a cut above just fine. It was superb. Beef tartare was served on grilled bread that was excellent. Grilled asparagus, Hamachi with ruby grapefruit and jalapeno (yes, it sounds weird, but it works) and crispy potatoes were all first rate.

So don't be put off by Open Table telling you the restaurant isn't available. First off, Open Table doesn't get all of the tables, so even when OT says it's booked, the restaurant may tell you otherwise. They didn't this evening, and despite that, we were able to sneak in and enjoy a very nice dinner.

If you are lucky enough to actually book a table, be advised there are three separate rooms. The ground floor has the bar area, which has some tables, along with a cozy room in the back that has the kitchen and a few tables. One more room upstairs. If you have a small party (I didn't see any large tables in the back room), try to get the back room with the kitchen. It's a bit warmer there, but the aromas are intoxicating.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, OH
“Service was the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We made a reservation based on Open Table and Trip Advisor. The menu is interesting-a mix of sides, small plates and large plates. We shared several of the small plates. They were all very good! The best thing we ate all night was the parfait for dessert-don't skip. It was amazing!

Service was amazing-our server did a great job. We asked a lot of questions and asked her recommendations and she was spot on. Several of the wines I didn't recognize-and she went through each one. I wish I could remember her name-she was fantastic. But everyone did a great job.

Def a must visit!

Visited May 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“WOW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Met up with a few dear friends I have not seen in a while. When Vernick was suggested I did not know what to think but this evening turned out to be a wonderful experience filled with great food, wine and atmosphere. We sampled a few of the toasts and it was hard to pick a favorite. The crab was sweet and tasty, the avocado and the peas and bacon were simply wonderful. Dinner was delicious and was more than enough to satisfy. Each side dish ordered was better than the next although the roast cauliflower was my personal favorite. We were lucky to sit on the second floor where we were able to enjoy our company and never felt rush. What a wonderful night!

• Visited May 2013