“Disappointing!” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Stella Sera is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #744 of 3,720 restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Bethleham Pike
Description: Stella Sera offers customers real Italian meals, specialized in a variety of homemade pastas and dessert. We also offer the freshest seafood, milk fed veal, free ranged chicken, etc. that is sure to satisfy your appetite. All of our dishes consist of locally grown fresh ingredients.
philadelphia
“Disappointing!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Although we live in the area we had never dined at Stella Sera. We often said we have to try this place as we walked by the restaurant front many times and so finally we did. Disappointed to report that we haven’t been missing anything.

The set-up is nice with linen draped tables and napkins, but the food doesn’t stand up. The Fradiavolo entrée was served with tough eggplant and a bitter flavored sauce. The grouper entrée was dull and lacking in flavor as well as the sides that accompanied the fish. Dessert was a pear tart that was stale and served ice cold. It was not fresh and obviously days old.

I cannot recommend this restaurant even if it is a BYOB, the prices are very high for the quality of food. In the end a bad meal and big bill.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
“A crowd on Saturday swamps the kitchen.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Previous weekday visits were very gratifying, but a recent Saturday meal was disappointing. Service was slower than usual, probably because of the number of customers.

The minestrone soup was delicious as was the arugula salad. Unfortunately, the Caesar salad dressing was too thick and heavy, overwhelming the lettuce. Our child's simple pasta with butter was overly dry, possibly from sitting under a heat lamp too long. The grouper filet was a bit past it's prime judging from a slight medicinal note. The veal paillard, pounded very thin, was surprisingly chewy and bland.

We skipped dessert.

Visited October 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“This place is excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Great Italian food and variety of menu. Great service, amazing desserts. Good for romance or special occasions. Small place, great bathroom (you gotta see it). BYOB, which is nice. They also give you a 10% discount if you pay with cash.

The only mark against this place is the sound carries and bounces off the narrow walls/ceiling. Some sound dampening might help. We don't get here often enough, but it's a treat when we do.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Worth going to”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Really nice. Terrific service. Branzino and gnocchi were great. The bread was heavenly. There was a live guitarist who played pop and a little classical-- made for a very elegant evening.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tuross Head
“A Gem in Chestnut Hill”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I spent five nights in Chestnut Hill recently and had dinner at this restaurant three times. It was that good. Although it's only small the service is first class. The waiters remembered me the second time I was there. The decor is very relaxing but you need to know it's BYO which I didn't. There's a bottle shop just across the road with an excellent selection of wines.

The menu is not large but quite comprehensive. The bread is delicious and meals are quick to arrive. The food itself is outstanding and well presented. The pasta is home made and cooked just right. I had steak the third night and it melted in my mouth. My friend who I took there was very impressed. She hopes to take her husband back there as she lives not far away. The fettuccine with crab meat, asparagus and sun-dried tomato all complemented each other. Desserts were superb. I had Mojito sorbet the first night. I would have been happy with two scoops instead of three. And I shared a raspberry cheesecake with berries with my friend. Very happy I stumbled on this.

• Visited June 2013