“Best hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   433 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Best hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This hotel was updated two years ago and is awesome. Clean, stylish, comfy bed, great shower. $10.00 off of mini bar or for dining. Very knowledgable and friendly staff. Free coffee and tea in lobby from 6-8 am. Free newspaper. Worth it to upgrade to park view...beautiful. Free use of yoga mats and bikes. Great, free wifi. Make sure to sign up for their free amenities . Centrally located. Two blocks to La Scala for best lunch/dinner.

Room Tip: I loved the park view room on a pet free floor. It rained hard one night and I read next to the win...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
SGTAS -

Hard to believe we have been open for almost two years. Even harder to believe the love that was poured into restoring this old vacant office building sitting on Independence Mall. Well...that part was easy. The fact that it was vacant is the hard to believe part. And in even better news, the coffee and tea are available until 9 AM! And if that is too early or too late for you, we also offer coffeemakers by request 24 hours a day.

Best -

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Turkish first
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

In short? GORGEOUS! Perks. Extras. Amazing beds. Friendly, accommodating staff. Pet friendly. Amazing location if you are there to see the historic area. The only hotel on the Independence Mall. Choice of room sizes/design to suit your needs. "Trendy" hotel with music always playing and a "trendy" roof top bar.

The longer version?

Keep in mind I am rating this for what it is (amazing), but this is not a full - serice "resort", so therefore I would not grade it against a resort which may have a swimming pool, tennis courts, etc. And .... Go!

From the start, Hotel Monaco / Philadelphia was impressive. I found it here on Trip Advisor and the high ranking got me to look further. From the first photos, I was hooked as I found it very appealing, not just some bland walls - it had life to it.

I was heading to the city on a "working vacation" with my family, dropping one family member off for a summer college program and this trip happened to overlap with a birthday of one of my children - so we wanted to make the most of this necessary travel, not just settle for "a place to lay our heads", yet I was also on a budget due to the unexpectedly high last minute expenses of the college program that was over twice what they said it would be.

Coming in on the 4th of July, a "busy" time for Philadelphia when some prices are higher than average, I was still able to get a good rate using Triple A.

There were supplies needed for the college program yet the college would not allow us to ship anything in advance. Priya, one of the managers at this hotel, allowed me to ship to Hotel Monaco. She stayed in touch with me, tracked the FedEx numbers, and stored the packages which arrived earlier in the week that we arrived. She was extremely accommodating, friendly, and answered all questions that we had regarding all aspects of our stay.

I found every staff member we encountered to be helpful, friendly (extremely so) -- genuinely warm and nice. We had fun speaking to everyone we encountered from the outside (doormen) in. There was not one unpleasant attitude. We got advice on places to eat, safe transportation, where to see fireworks and more.

The hotel is a Kimpton property, surely you know, and as such, there are perks.

It is free to join the Kimpton loyalty program online, which earns you points toward stays, allows you access to free Wi - Fi on the property, and ten dollars toward the mini bar.

It was 8 dollars for that bag of gummy bears by Kimpton ... Let's just say, it was 8 dollars of credit well spent. :)

The mini bar has candies, snacks, etc. & mini fridge is stocked with beer, soda, and small bottles of liquor. I don't consume alcohol, so that had to all come out to make room for our healthier choices that needed to stay cool.

We were over-charged by about 6 dollars for our 2 purchases, but I don't mind - a small price to pay for what service we received.

We loved our room, 430, a standard double queen which gave us a park view and view of Second Bank, and to the right, we could see Independence Hall. We had 3 goldfish in our room upon arrival (something you can request at Kimpton properties). Believe it or not, it was the decor of this property and the GOLDISH that sold me! Traveling with kids, I knew they'd be thrilled - and they were!

Big hit.

Although "Goldie, Koi, and Shale" have probably been re-named by someone else's children, we took good care of them during our stay. The property keeps fish in a large tank and a professional comes to care for them. Fish water can be changed upon request as there are no air filters in the rooms for the small tanks.

The room was not enormous but suited our needs with double queen beds, a desk and chair. There are larger rooms available if needed. Soaking tubs in larger rooms, but we had a regular tub and shower which worked well.

The bathroom was quite roomy and plenty of counter space!! The sink here is inside of the bathroom. I love the wallpaper. I wish my bathroom at home looked like this one!

Kimpton also has a large amount of items you can use free of charge, if needed. I called for a flattening iron, but they were out and brought me a curling iron which actually worked well for the "de-frizz" purposes I wanted the flattening iron for.

The room does not have a coffee maker unless you request it, which we did, and they brought up a Keurig and some coffee k-packs. Although there is free (and yummy) coffee bar every morning so my husband didn't end up using the Keurig at all.

There is also a wine hour every evening at 5 in the pretty lobby, and lemonade for the kids.

The lobby is always stocked with fruit - infused ice water, as well, to keep you hydrated.

Free bikes to use - first come, first serve.

The closet in our room held a kite, an iron, a yoga mat, even an umbrella in case it was necessary to use one -- There are also robes to use, which can also be purchased, and different animal prints. I mentioned, before the trip, that it would be my daughter's birthday and that she liked animals so there was a leopard print robe in the closet when we arrived.

These small touches are really nice and not ones I am accustomed to, even at other properties where I have paid the same or even more.

WE LOVED THE DECOR. I can't say enough. Some folks say they wouldn't want to LIVE in it, well, I would. I thought it was all fantastic (barring the wallpaper in the room and certain historic themes - I would choose something else, but, loved the colors, the curtains, just loved it -- the furniture -- inside and outside the rooms.

I was so worried that getting a double queen standard room, our decor wouldn't be as cute as the pictures I saw on the internet which show more of the larger rooms and suites. But it was still great, I still had the quite - lined wallpaper in the closet, the dog lamp -- I just loved it. Every nook and cranny, I just loved.

Central AC worked well - no complaints or issues at all there. Being from muggy south florida, I like a cold room for sleeping - no problems.

The mattress is amazing. I just purchased a mattress at home, same brand, but obviously not the same mattress. They are made by the same company specifically for Kimpton hotels and cruises, etc. It is nothing you can find in a retail outlet, trust me I called the company AND the area that makes the beds. They use different materials, etc. HOWEVER, you can order the bed online!! It's not costly, either. I emailed the hotel manager who sent me the link to the Kimpton Plush beds. I slept SO well there, no aches or pains upon waking which I do get at home.

I don't want to go on forever, but I don't want to miss anything, either.

Morning paper at your door every day, 24 hour room service available, cabs always there ready to take you where you need to go, concierge to assist, tickets can be purchased to certain attractions and more.

Also, when booking online, we mentioned it was my child's birthday and it was noted in the reservation. When I contacted the hotel before arriving, everyone knew why were were coming in - the occasion, and about the birthday. It is very personalized that way with the ability for everyone to see the notes taken.

For the birthday, they brought up a little card, 2 bottles of root beer and 2 chocolate mousse desserts from their Red Owl Tavern.

For an overnight stay if I were passing through town, I would not choose this property. I would not have the time to enjoy the service and explore, as we did, finding all of the little hidden gems. But if you are in town to visit, this property is awesome. They also have an on site gym that is GREAT! Nice equipment, even televisions in the cardio machines. A little mini fridge with water bottles and cool towels, even a bowl of fruit.

Super awesome.

Again, the little touches - like the bowl of fruit and cool towels, I was loving all of it.

Throughout the hotel along the walls are photos from old parades - some dating back to the 1800's. Amazing costumes and fun to look at.

Also, enclosed in glass and on display along the walls are some old postcards and other memorabilia. You just have to stop and look.

Behind the hotel, through the back exit, is a food court type mall and some gift shops. There is also a breakfast buffet that I don't recommend. But there is a food cart with Philly soft pretzels that I TOTALLY recommend! Yum!

Note: You can exit through the back doors, but there is no re-entry. You must walk to the front where a friendly doorman will be waiting there to open the door for you. :)

BONUS - during the right months, the parks across the street have fireflies. I live on the coast and don't have fireflies in my home area, so this was a huge bonus to my kids who don't get to see robins, fireflies, and the bats that chase them. We skipped 4th of July fireworks (and 5th of July fireworks!) to lie on our backs and watch the small bats swooping to eat the fireflies.

You are steps from Independence Hall (free), Liberty Bell (free) and other attractions. One block from Duck Tours, visitor center (where you get Liberty Hall tour tickets), horse carriage rides are right there ...

Great place to stay if you are with family coming to visit the historic sights.

Also, you can use the PHLASH bus to get to and from the main tourist spots at a much less expensive rate than a tour bus. This property is an easy walk to a PHLASH bus pick up / drop off location.

Anywhere else we went was just a 6 or 7 dollar cab ride -- so the location really was (is) great.

There are a large number of homeless in this city - it was heart-breaking. In the direct vicinity of the hotel I only saw one person asleep on the sidewalk across the street the whole time we were there, where some other parts of the city there are many people in sleeping bags, some who are drunk, etc. I don't claim to know the circumstances of these individuals, but it is uncomfortable to some people so I thought that I would mention it. There is a higher concentration of homeless in more of the downtown areas.

There is also a subway, buses, and taxis -- no need to bring a car to Philadelphia. Parking is always a concern, I was told before my stay, and we had no issue getting around on foot or via taxi cab when necessary.

This property is NEW, 2 or 3 years old, lovely, and warm and attentive staff. When we needed towels, they were delivered promptly and - for the rest of the stay, we found we had extras. We had a rip and they brought us up a small complimentary sewing kit.

I didn't want to leave, and wish the designers would come directly to my home and make it feel as lush as this property.

PS - My artsy child, there to attend UARTS, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED the property, as I thought would happen. LOVED the decor. So lively, colorful, bold - and now I have so many decorating and painting ideas for my next home!! :D

LOVED IT. One of, if not my favorite, hotel of all time. It's not enormous, but it has everything you need and has plenty of room, SUPER fast elevators (6, you never have to really wait) and CrAZY fast Wi - Fi (videos were uploading as I watched -- amazing) and charm, charm, charm.

I will always look for Kimpton properties because of my outstanding experience with Hotel Monaco.

Room Tip: Speak to in - house reservations to talk to someone on the property, itself. Some rooms face Indepe...
Green Features: I know they have environmentally friendly practices, but what they are were not made clear to me. I didn't see anything in the room that explained it.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
TheWanderer305 -

I am speechless...and seriously humbled at the love and time you took in providing such comprehensive feedback. A thousand thank you's for that and for choosing the Monaco. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to host your family again and again.

In service -

Eureka, cA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stayed in a double queen room with my daughter for 4 nights. Customer service was fantastic. Staff went above and beyond. Love the restaurant and the evening wine service. The decor is stylish and fun, and our room was big and comfortable. Couldn't have asked for more.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
VJF57 -

Thank you for sharing a weekend with your daughter at the Monaco. Don't be shy about asking for more - we're happy to aim higher!

Cheers -

Robinson, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

The location is PERFECT! The staff was the most friendly we have ever encountered, and we travel a lot! Our room was spacious, well decorated, and the bed was very comfy! It was our first time to Philly, first time at a Kimpton. Won't b the last!

Stayed July 2014
Hhoke7 -

Welcome to Philly! Can't wait to welcome you back! Of course you don't have to come here to experience Kimptons. Chicago has some great ones, as do 20-something other cities across the country.

Thank you for staying with us.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This hotel is in a great location & has very funky decor but it is seriously pretentious! Not a very relaxed or comfortable feel about the place. Some rooms may have good views but ours looked onto a roof top & brick wall. Pretty disappointed overall. Wouldn't return.

Stayed July 2014
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
SSime1980 -

That's seriously disappointing to hear. We expect our team to be as approachable, comforting, and as friendly as humanly possible. Don't let the bowties on our front desk gentlemen, they're super-nice and love talking to our guests about their stay and offering their own best way to see the city. Agreed that not all of our rooms overlook the Liberty Bell, if only they all could! If you change your mind about returning, ask about our Parkview rooms.

Happy travels -

Thousand Oaks, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We enjoyed three days at the Hotel Monaco. The location was perfect and the value was ideal. Our only complaint was the room was relatively small. I thought the bathroom was also a bit small but my wife enjoyed the large bathtub. The complimentary wine hour at 5 pm was a nice touch. The staff were also friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
janavratil -

Thank you for choosing the Monaco! Given the historic roots of our building, there were a number of structural elements we built around that lead to a lot of room layout variability. Additionally we have a number of different room types that can provide more space (suites or spa rooms for starters). Happily your wife was happy which I think we can all agree is the most important thing.

Hope to see you again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This wast first visit to a Kimpton property, but based on my experiences it won't be my last. Every mark of customer service
and hotel quality was "spot on". All staff excelled at making me feel welcome, safe and important. Upon arrival, I was greeted by Brad who escorted me into the hotel, made sure there was no delay in connecting with registration staff and offered assistance with getting around the city. Rashid in guest services is a "rock star", going beyond expectations to offer extra touches to help start the day. Solomon patiently greets each guest and is a great listener. The time he spends to acknowledge people is quite special. The location, service quality and genuine sense of hospitality sets this property in a class onto itself!

• Stayed July 2014
GetsMyVote -

You met some of our rockstars to be sure and I'm especially happy to see you got a chance to meet Solomon! He works silently (often times) on the overnight, but I think you described his style to a "t". He is a tremendous asset and we are truly appreciative of his service. And we appreciate you choosing us as well.

Regards -

Mark

Been to Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!