“Wedding Weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   433 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Book Early And Save
Ranked #1 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Wedding Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Our daughter and new son in law were married this weekend in Old City Philadelphia. We had 80 of our 200 guests stay the weekend at the Hotel Monaco. From the day we made the first reservation Nikoletta Fotiadis and Carrie McGeehan could not have been more helpful. The entire staff was very accommodating starting with Sean and his wonderful welcoming personality , at the front door as well as Rocky, who handled all the bags and packages. The front desk staff was friendly, professional and accommodating. You even get a great history lesson from Andrew. Happy hour in the lobby every evening was a nice surprise. Our guests loved the beautiful rooms and the suites were the perfect size for the bridal party preparations. The day of the wedding the bridal party had hair and make up done in the suite with a beautiful view of Independance Hall. We finished the weekend Sunday morning with a delicious brunch for 80 in the beautiful ballroom, again with views of Independence Hall. Sasha Bharat did a great job helping us plan for the brunch. Once more the staff was wonderful. We had a visit from the banquet manager , Michael Kaitz, to see if they had met our needs. We could not be more pleased with our choice of the Hotel Monaco for the wedding weekend.

Room Tip: Corner suites and rooms with a view of Independence Hall are great.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear MBMMW -

I think you might have met everyone on staff. I'm thrilled that everything went off without a hitch. And now you can think of it as not losing a daughter but gaining a favorite hotel (and son-in-law). Hopefully we'll see you many more times in future.

Congratulations!

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Turkish first
Montclair, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We were visiting Philly for the weekend to celebrate a birthday. Overall, the stay was quite good and we will most likely return to this hotel, but there were some service issues with stay.

The Good:

The location was perfect for us in Old City. We are not familiar with the city and found it perfect for our 'newbie' visit to the city.

The decor is quite and nice and appears to be well maintained (not sure if new or not).

The room was perfect (see 'not so' note below) - well designed, good furniture, comfortable bed and wonderful view of Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell outside our window. In general a very nice, welcoming room.

The Not-So-Good:

When we go to the room we discovered that the garbage cans had not been emptied from the previous tenants - while getting drinks downstairs housekeeping cleared them out. We hadn't noticed before, but when retiring for the night we found a dirty towel in the shower and we were missing hand towels and wash cloths. At that point we decided to just go to bed (it was late).

I will note that on the second day housekeeping seemed to do a perfect job on the room.

There two small issues with bathroom, but very minor - one of the lights kept going out. At first we thought it was a bulb, but it would turn on every other time you needed it. The other was the hair dryer had a broken handle - again, very minor points but may color your impression of the hotel.

We had ordered breakfast in our room on the last day before heading home - this was a big mistake on our part. Once the time for the meal had come and gone we called down to find out what the delay was. The impression on the phone was they misplaced our order. They were very apologetic and gave a discount on the order and rushed it up as soon as they could (~15 minutes). Unfortunately it was not our full order. Another call, another apology and our full order was finally delivered about 45 minutes late.

The staff I interacted in this case took responsibility for this mistake, were polite and professional. We were quite satisfied on how they handled the issue (although we would have preferred our meal on time).

Finally - the valet service. I would advise not using it. This may just be a pet peeve of ours, but the whole experience was not good. They have texting service where you text your ticket number and they will have your car 'waiting for you' in 20 minutes. This service just returns an error message to your phone (there were several people in the lobby with the same issue). After requesting our car, we watched party after party request and get their vehicles while we waited. Our '20 minute' wait was over 45 minutes.

Upon entering our car, the radio had been changed and it was obvious that someone had been hanging out in the passenger seat. Again - pet peeves, but when paying $40/day for parking we like think some basic courtesy for the car is in order.

In general - we felt the staff were very courteous and friendly and will most likely return to this hotel in the future.

Dear BenMc_44

A belated Happy Birthday! I wish there had been fewer surprises with your stay - at least fewer in the form of poor valet service, housekeeping issues, and spotty room service. All of those are surprises to me as our staff is capable of delivering a much better experience than this. I assure you that next time you stay there will be much more in the good column than the not so good one.

Thank you for choosing Hotel Monaco.

Regards,

Peekskill, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

This hotel has so much character & detail! I loved staying here. I have no complaints. Everything was great from the service to the decor and location. During my stay I was looking to get something specific for dinner and I called the front desk and they weren't sure where I could find what I was looking for, so instead of just telling me that they couldn't help me they called a couple of places and helped me find exactly what I was looking for. As far as location nothing was hard to find and a lot of activities and restaurants are close by. The people who host the wine hour are very friendly! This hotel has a great design and I will be visiting again!

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Kayla M -

There must be some dust in my office as my eyes teared up when reading your story of tracking down thecheesesteak served in a garlic butter pretzel roll (I can only assume that is what you were searching for). In all honesty, that is why I love working for Kimpton and with this team. Thank you for sharing and thank you for choosing us.

Happy travels,

New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I try to stay at Kimpton properties whenever I travel for either business or leisure -- the service is typically attentive and efficient, and the properties are exceptionally well-maintained. My recent six-night stay at the Monaco exceeded my expectations; the hotel proved to be an oasis of exceptional service during a trip to Philadelphia in which most merchants seemed either unwilling or incapable of providing good service.

Due to some rescheduled business meetings, I arrived early, and was graciously accommodated with an early check-in; receiving exactly the room type (Parkview King) and location (high floor) I requested. I returned late that night to find a complimentary fruit plate and handwritten welcome note. Throughout my stay, the housekeeping staff kept my room immaculate and were always helpful -- great ambassadors for the hotel.

The spacious desk was a great place to complete work, and everything in my room, from the bed to the linens to the lack of noise, was perfect. Moreover, the trademark funky style of Kimpton properties sometimes misses the mark, but the Monaco's style does not seem contrived. The wallpaper and furnishings are bold, to be sure, but very relaxing and comforting.

I will definitely return to the Monaco next time my travels take me to Philadelphia

Room Tip: High floor rooms are quiet, and the Parkview rooms offer a superior view of Independence Park.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Jessica L, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I hope that every guest gets to experience the Monaco they way you did. You're one of the family now, so I gope you will come back and see us.

Safe Kimpton Travels!

Jessica Lavin
Hotel Manager
jessica.lavin@hotelmonaco.com
Stillwater, nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Soup to nuts solid with some shining moments sprinkled in. The welcome is fantastic, specifically if you're lucky enough to be greeted by "T". He is the warm smiled gentleman out front arranging your flawless valet experience and generally handling all that there is at the door. Inside you'll find design whimsy and structural beauty in the lobby and throughout though not to a grandiose level. This is more of a multigenerational design inspiration, with elements from the seventies on up till right now. Hospitality and professionalism with personality appears to be the rule here and the staff is allowed to shine individually without handing out the premeditated menagerie of answers about the neighborhood, city and the hotel itself. Any of my questions seemed to be answered candidly and the responses were always gracious, nothing seemed a bother for any of the staff in my experience. Matt at the front desk was especially accommodating and knowledgable about the hotel, dining options, crowd trends etc, and was very helpful in general. We were very lucky to have the spacious king spa room with the huge soaking tub and fantastic shower space. Really nice room, although with wasted space in my opinion, but unfortunately no view except for the other windows of the hotel. I thought we would have some view for the cost however this is a major city with very close buildings so obviously the urban layout is of no fault to the hotel. The gym is boss for a hotel and is 24 hours for you protein gulping beasts out there looking to rage out whenever you so desire. This was a Christmas gift to my lovely bride who has stayed in many, many a hotel far more expensive than I will ever be able to bring her to. That being said, she commented numerous times "this is the best day of my life", and the Monaco is partly to thank for that. If you've got the scratch and love American history and fantastic dining options, this is your place. One more detail, the location is ridiculous!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
It really makes me smile knowing that my amazing staff has helped to make such wonderful memories come to life. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your amazing expereince with us. I have already shared it with the team, and Matt and T say hello. I hope you will come back and create many more happy memories.

Happy New Year!
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for four nights for a conference. I stayed at two other Kimpton hotels before and this hotel is in the same class: people are extremely friendly and service-minded, it just has a great atmosphere. What other hotel offers you free wine in the afternoon and coffee in the morning. Wifi is also for free if you are a Kimpton member (for free).
Other hotel chains can learn from this.
One thing I found a small minus: the gym is rather small; it's not minimal, as in some other hotels, because the machines are brand new, work well etc. but the selection is small, so I was done after thirty minutes of cross machine.
Door to bathroom is a sliding door: efficient space wise, but could be unhandy if your partner is sensitive to noise during the night and somebody has to make a restroom stop.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
I love getting to read reviews from Kimpton Fans! Thank you so much for sharing your comments with us, they are very helpful. I will make sure the engineeres bring some WD-40 with them when they do room inspections. We don't want any lost sleep.

Thanks again!
Hopatcong, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We just stayed at the Hotel Monaco for a wedding with our two Rhodesian Ridgeback mutts. There is no extra fee for your pets and no restrictions! The staff was more than accommodating and friendly. Every nook and crany of the hotel is unique and beautiful, you feel like you are in an amazing please touch museum! The Stratus rooftop bar is super cool at night too. I can't say enough good things about our stay and it is now our go-to hotel for Philadelphia, with or without our dogs! We are currently planning a week long trip to another one of their locations with our dogs to make a vacation based on the hotel chain! It was really that amazing. A huge shout out to the wonderful staff in Philly and to the incredible concept of the Hotel Monaco.

Room Tip: Get a view facing out towards the city rather than on the inside of the building. The views of Phil...
Hi Julie!

Thank you so much for your amazing review! Some people say we take better care of our 4 legged guests than our people guests, but I'm not too sure. We love having both! I'm so glad that you found us and Kimpton. You're in for a great vacation!

Come back anytime!
Jessica

Been to Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!