“wonderful christmas break in Philly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   433 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Book Early And Save
Ranked #1 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sheffield
“wonderful christmas break in Philly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

My wife and i had a king room for the duration of our 5 night stay. The rooms are spacious, spotlessly clean, comfy beds with funky furniture. The location is good opposite the Liberty bell, you are close to the historic district and some great bars and restaurants but be aware it is a good walk to the Rittenhouse shopping district. some minor cons include that fact that there is no shower gel in the rooms only soap, generally the staff were very friendly and provided an excellent concierge service. the hotel has a wine evening between 6-7 nightly. the hotel is pet friendly. The breakfast from the attached Red owl cavern was enjoyable and the staff friendly. The bar had very friendly bar tender who knew his beers!!

when in Philly you must visit the reading terminal market!! and have a philly cheesesteak at Jims on South.
A great Trip at Christmas

Room Tip: ask for a park view room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jessica L, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
It sounds like you may have found a new holiday ritual! I'm happy to read that you had a great time in Philly. I'm curious to know if it was one of our staff members that recommended Jim's to you....it is definitely our favorite place for cheesesteaks! Next time you stay, we'd be happy to have shower gel placed in your room; we have it available upon request.

Thank you for sharing your experience!
Jessica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Probably the most important aspect of how awesome this hotel is lies with the staff. They are all so friendly and helpful. Their dining and “to see” advice was great.

I also loved so many aspects of the hotel’s design. It’s the Lafayette building, which was once a bank, but it seems to work perfectly as a hotel. (I’m sure this transformation cost a pretty penny but it seems to be well worth it.) I love the unique entrance, the Living Room (lobby), and the rooftop lounge. I loved all the design details like the furniture, lighting, and artwork throughout the hotel. During our stay I kept noticing more and more—my husband probably got sick of my exclamations but I used to work at an architecture firm so I really couldn’t help myself, as I’ve never before seen a hotel with so many cool details (despite how many hotels I’ve seen). For example, I loved the vintage photos/postcards on the first floor (Lobby floor) and the oversized armoires in the lobby, which conveniently is where the complimentary morning coffee/tea is and where the wine is served at wine hour (5 pm, all Kimpton hotels). Note: coffee/tea is put away at 9 am so don’t dawdle! (Some Kimptons leave it out longer.)

We were lucky enough to book a corner one-bedroom suite and I was truly impressed. In my book, it’s completely worth the extra money, especially if you like a big tub and shower. And oh, the view. So good. Again, I loved all the interior design choices in the room and the colors are my favorite: light blue and yellow. I was also pleasantly surprised with how quickly the heating/cooling works in the room.

We ate breakfast in the restaurant downstairs one day and it was so good. The Healthy Benny is great if you’re traveling on a calorie budget. I don’t entirely recall the menu, but they had a great selection of fruit available through room service, so that’s probably in the restaurant as well. There’s a Chinese place down the street called Han Dynasty that has a few healthy options too.

We weren’t there on the appropriate days, but the hotel does have two fitness classes offered at 6:30 am on different days, which I’d LOVE to try. One’s called Lithe, which I hadn’t heard of until our trip but it sounds like an aerobic class that draws upon cheerleading and the other class is cardio boxing. It sounds a little like boot camp and that you’ll burn some major calories there! If you miss the classes like me, you can always put the yoga mat in your room to use with a few sun salutations or what have you :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Jessica L, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Hi Nicole!

WOW! Thank you so much for your amazing review of your stay with us. I'm so glad to see that you had a chance to experience everything about the Monaco. I can't think of anything you missed! Well maybe the wine cellar which used to be the vault when the Lafayette biding was a bank. I hope you get to check it out the next time you are in town.

Come back soon!

Roma, Italia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Good as usual in each Kimpton Hotel I visited. I stayed two nights with my family (wife and two sons, one of them 15 months old) on july 2013. Perfect location, nice hotel, wonderful design, exceptional restaurant (Red Owl Tavern)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I'm so glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

Best Wishes

Long Island City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by the size of our room-the Double Queen Deluxe. The decor was trendy and comfortable. I think the room could have been a little cleaner. During our stay we found a shot glass used by the last guest.
The location of the hotel could not have been better! The Liberty Bell, Independence Hall were right next door and the Mint was a short walk.
The valet staff was very friendly and helpful. Be aware that parking runs about $50 per day.
We had a delicious breakfast at the Red Owl Restaurant in the hotel.
While I would recommend the Monaco, I will be trying another hotel next trip to Philly.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay. I hope you had a great time in Philadelphia. Don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Best Wishes,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We reserved this hotel based on the reviews here on tripadvisor and we were not let down. The hotel was in the most ideal location in Philadlphia, across the street from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. The rooms were clean and the hotel in general was very modern. The staff was also very friendly and inviting when approached with questions. Do not hesitate to stay here!

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
I believe that everyone remembers their first Kimpton Hotel and the fact that yours was the Monaco Philadelphia is even more special. I'm glad you found us and even more excited that you about the review that you shared. I hope you'll keep looking for Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants.

Best,

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We visited Philadelphia for only two days/one night and wanted to see the essential landmarks by just walking. This hotel is perfectly located right in the middle of everything you'd want to see on a short or first visit.

The hotel itself is beautiful, different than most hotels out there (in decoration), and just fun to be in. We couldn't believe the wine happy hour was actually full of guests (and their adorable dogs). The restaurant on site is very good and convenient to have there. The room was spacious, very clean and nicely decorated. And we loved our perfect view of Independence Park.

We loved our stay and would definitely stay there and any other Kimpton in the future.

• Stayed December 2013
Even thought it was a short stay, it sounds like it was a memorable and more than you expected. I hope you'll check out some of our other Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants. And make sure to come back and see us.

Happy New Year!

Southport, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed here because our son's wedding was here and thought it would be convenient. The bride's parents were able to get a special rate for rooms and parking due to the fact that the wedding was taking place at the hotel. Our rooms were large, very comfortable and very clean. Beds were extremely comfortable as well.They have a free wine hour each night from 5-6 which we enjoyed too. The Red Owl Tavern is attached to the hotel and we had a lovely brunch there on Sunday morning after the wedding. The wedding itself was very good. Cocktail hour and reception itself were very enjoyable. The food and service could not have been better. We would recommend it to anyone wanting to get married or have a big party in Phila.
We would stay here again and tell our friends and family to do the same.

Room Tip: Park view is lovely.Do not book a room on the 10th floor under the outside bar. Way to noisy late in...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
I am so glad that we were able to be such a memorable part of such a special weekend. It truly sounds that it was an amazing weekend for everyone, Thank you for the wonderful feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Happy New Year!

jessica.lavin@hotelmonaco.com

Been to Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!