“as good as its reputation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   433 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Parking Package
Ranked #2 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“as good as its reputation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Philadelphia was not at its best for our visit with lots of rain and the government museums and attractions closed by the strike. Our hotel became more important give these other negatives and it did not let us down. we had a room overlooking Independence Hall and The Liberty Bell and were able to observe fellow tourists standing wet and mournful outside both at all hours morning, noon and night.

The hotel staff were enthusiastic and knowledgeable and despite being very busy remembered our requests and details. Early morning coffee, and importantly for my wife tea, were available from 6am and were very well presented in the reception area. The complimentary happy hour from 5pm was well attended and lively and served much better wine than is usual on such occasions.

on joining the guests club were were offered $10 complimentary drinks from the room bar which was a nice touch and very unusual.

Room Tip: must overlook Independence Hall
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jessica L, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Even though the government had a few days off, our team was on the top of their game. We wanted to make sure everyone got the best of what Philadelphia had to offer. So glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and felt at home at the Monaco. I hope you'll come back to see us.

Best,

1,037 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

First time in Philly for a conference. This has to be one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at, No.1 on Trip Advisor for a reason and was the basis of selecting this specific hotel in addition to the fantastic rate they offer.

Rooms are well decorated, very bright and modern with a twist, rooms are clean as you wwould expect from anywhere. Nice touch from house keeping leaving a 'enjoy your stay note' by my pillow.

The hotel is in a fantastic location if you would like to see the Liberty Bell, with the hotel being located in the 'Old Town' district with many Independence tourist attractions close by.

Well worth a stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hi Jay,

As you can attest to, our housekeeping takes pride in the job that they do. They act more like a family than co-workers, and they treat our guests like one of their own. Thanks for the love. Come back anytime!

Devonshire Parish, Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My first impression of this hotel was "What a great welcome!". The doorman immediately opened the door to my cab and once he realized that there was a puddle hear the curbside door he moved around to the other side of the cab and opened up that door for me. The doormen and front desk employees were very engaging. The doorman walked me to the reception area and then he informed me that I had arrived in time for the free wine hour in the lobby. When I told him that I did not drink wine he offered me either a glass of regular water or fruit water - how special!
Then the front desk employees were very friendly.

NOTE: After I had booked this resrvation I signed up for the Kimpton loyalty program which allowed me to have free WiFi service in my room (Yipee) plus I got to take advantage of their "Raid the Bar" offer. This offer affords loyalty members the opportunity to take $10 worth of items from their nicely organized bar without getting charged for them. Also, I learned that any stay that I had had at a Kimpton hotel in the year that I first became a loyalty member could be added to my points tally - this is fantastic!

My first impression of the room was “Soooo this is what a Kimpton hotel is like - I really like this!!!!” :)
I felt like I was in a really nice upscale hotel. The room was spacious and vibrantly decorated with a mix of colors and patterns on the walls and a red Asian inspired TV armoire. The rug had huge yellow flowers on it. The bathroom had a nice size counter area and a huge shower.

This hotel is relativity new as it opened up one year ago in Oct 2012. In my experience the energy level of the staff members in newer hotels always seems so much higher - the employees tend to be very engaging and attentive.

The gym in the hotel was not super big but it was adequate. It has glass windows on one wall which allows you to look out over a park area as you work on on the aerobic machines. The gym provides free headphones to use with the individual tvs that are connected to each piece of aerobic equipment. They also provide free fruit and a daily selection of newspapers

The only complaint about my stay at this hotel was that there was an issue with the supply of clean wash clothes - on the 1st and 4th night I had to call Guest Services to ask for a wash cloth because there were none in my room and on the 3rd day the maid did not remove the wash cloth that I had used in the morning.

All in all, I really liked this hotel and I will stay here again. It was very conveniently located to where I had to attend a business engagement plus it was not very far from shopping areas.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
It sounds like we have found another loyal Kimpton fan. I'm so glad that you've found us. After a year our staff is still rocking & rolling and loving every day. They continue to surprise me with their creative and caring ways of raising the level of service. Thank you so much for stopping by!

Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our shared birthday weekend in Sept. The hotel was packed; they had three wedding parties staying there, one wedding and a bar mitzvah during our stay and somehow we didn't feel like the hotel was packed due to the attentive staff (and we somehow didn't get woken up by an revelers!). Really comfy bed. Loved the hotel; eclectic but beautifully decorated. Good size room, and we had a beautiful view of Independence Hall. The service was great too. And the free wine hour was really a great perk (as was the lemon/lime and strawberry infused water always available in the lobby). The rooftop bar area is really pretty; we were only up there briefly because it was closed earlier in the evening for a private party while we were out to dinner. The only con was I felt the room was a little too wild; I sort of had a headache from all the competing bright colors and fabrics. But, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We faced Independence Mall/Independence Hall on the 9th floor; quiet and a really lovely view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Birthday, wedding, anniversary, bat mitzvah...there is always a reason to stay at the Monaco! I love to see that you had an amazing weekend celebrating with your husband. Anytime you need a good night’s sleep away from home, you know where to find us!

Thank you!

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I was there on July 4th with couple friends. A lot of places were closed because of the holiday but we still took the advantage of the location. The hotel is in the heart of the historical area so you can walk everywhere. Hotel is very nice, pretty and fun feeling, staff are very helpful. Highly recommend it!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for remembering us Claire and showing us some love! Hope you got to catch some of the parade - it was a really fun day.

Safe Travels,

Maplewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed at the Monaco for two nights. I have traveled a lot and have never come across a more friendly front desk staff. The hotel is in an excellent location in the old city. Nice touches are coffee and delicious mini doughnuts in the morning and wine in the early evening. For less expensive parking ($18/day) park down the street at the Constitution Center.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We really do have the best lobby: smiling faces, fresh coffee, and those fresh cider donuts. Well the smell alone is intoxicating. Hope you will come back!

Boston MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Why would you stay anywhere else in Philadelphia?. As a veteran Kimpton guest, this hotel exemplifies the Kimpton tradition. This hotel is well maintained, eclectically decorated and well managed. The service from the valet, car service, front desk, concierge, room cleaning was A+. The staff are all friendly and professional. Room was lovely and the beds are the kind that you can sleep in comfortably and perhaps wish you had at home.
We had drinks at Stratus Lounge which is a must visit. It is a beautiful lounge with, again, excellent service and fab drinks. Breakfast is delicious with a varied menu at the Red Owl Tavern. Also the doughnuts baked fresh every day are delicious.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm glad I’m not the only one asking that question, but really...why would you stay anywhere else? Hope we're now on the top of your Kimpton favorite list. You are welcome here with us anytime.

Thanks Alyce!

jessica.lavin@hotelmonaco.com

Been to Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!