“Wonderful hotel in the heart of the Old City” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   433 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Announcement
Stay Fit & Be Well
Ranked #2 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Newcastle
“Wonderful hotel in the heart of the Old City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is the second time I have booked a Kimpton hotel and chose this hotel based on the very good experience we had when we stayed at The Palomar in San Diego and also because of the trip advisor ratings and reviews that other guests had posted.

This was our first visit to Philadelphia and because we were not familiar with the city we wanted to stay in a hotel that was close to historical monuments such as, Liberty Bell and Independence Hall and having read other guest reviews my husband and I 100% agree that this is a fabulous location. You step out the front door of the hotel and less than 50m away are both attractions, amazing. We felt very safe in this area and prefer the location to further up the street where the other Kimpton property is located.

We arrived by train and it took less than 10 mins to get to the hotel from 30th street station by taxi ($13) and our first impression of the hotel when got to check-in was WOW. The lobby and check-in desks have a very warm and modern feel but with an almost oriental twist. Brian the concierge was very professional and friendly and check-in was very efficient.

Our room was ready for us and we stayed in room 826. The room was adequate in size and the decor is kitsch - blue wallpaper and images of the Liberty Bell, red high gloss drawers and yellow woodwork. If I'm honest it's not my cup of tea, I much preferred the decor in San Diego but I guess it adds to the charm of this hotel. The bathroom was a lovely size and my husband loved the power shower! The only negative I could say about the room is that the vent did not work in the bathroom so the room felt a little damp because of all of the condensation but it didn't affect our stay in the slightest. The bed has to be one of the most comfortable we have ever stayed in and the pillows are fabulous and soft, you just sink into them which I loved!

Wine hour was an added bonus and the tea and coffee each morning in the lobby was a treat although I think facilities in your room should be offered considering this is a high end boutique style property. The hotel bar is very nice and the prices and more than reasonable also but sadly because of the weather on the Saturday night we did not get to visit the rooftop lounge.

There are plenty of bars and restaurants in and around the location along Chestnut Street and Market Street and you must head up to the food market on 11th as there are some wonderful food stalls and the oldest ice cream shop in Philly.

I am really pleased I stayed at The Monaco and would definitely stay here again as it was a perfect vacation weekend in Philly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Liberty Bell or Independence Hall.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jessica L, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Hi Danielle,

I love hearing about guests that seek out Kimpton Hotels. It reassures me that we are doing it right. Glad to hear that you had an amazing stay with us, and you got to take full advantage of our location. I really appreciate your feedback.

Safe Travels!

1,000 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Turkish first
Jacksonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I happened upon this place totally by accident. I was raised in a blue-collar family and am kind of a schlub and this place was totally out of my league -- but they did the best they good for this gavone! The service was stupendous! Location is great! The room was little too small, though. The attached restaurant (part of the property) was OK -- generally good food and service but a bit pricey.

Room Tip: I would upgrade to a larger room with a park view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
We love all our guests equally! Glad you find us and hope you come back to the Monaco next time you are in Philly! I really appreciate you taking the time to post.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We recently stayed on a last minute overnight trip in Philly at the Monaco. I'm a fan of the Kimpton chain so I was expecting the absolute best from this #1 ranked Philly hotel and I was absolutely floored by what I experienced. We were upgraded to a huge suite with views of the historic sections of Philadelphia and it was absolutely stunning. The worst part of the stay was realizing that we were only going to be there for one night. Heck, I can live in that suite!

The building and the decor has such character that the hotel should be an attraction in itself. Since we checked in at around 7:15 pm, one of the desk agents, Christy, very graciously offered us two complimentary glasses of wine knowing that we missed the nightly wine hour. That was completely unexpected and it really reminded me how exceptional the service is at every Kimpton I've stayed at. My usual requested amenity of champagne and chocolates for being an Inner Circle member were also provided soon after we checked in. We didn't have a chance to visit the rooftop lounge so i can't comment on it. It was "happening" the night of our stay.

We have family in Philly so there usually is no need to stay in a hotel but I will absolutely come back to the Monaco should there be a need to stay in Center City. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who values their hotel stay as much as they value their trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sometimes one night just isn't enough, but the good thing is now you know where to find us. Our Inner Circle members are seasoned Road Warriors, so to read your amazing review is like getting an A+ on a final exam. Thank you so much - I'll make sure to share with Christy and the team. Let me know if you need help thinking of an excuse to come back.

Safe Travels!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Quick one night stay for a show at the TLA was awesome. Could walk to Amada, Eulogy and TLA, with a view of the Liberty Bell from our room. Rooftop bar after our concert was much cooler than us. Red Owl breakfast the next morning was maybe the best ever with bottomless bellinis. Thanks, Eric!

• Stayed September 2013
Thanks for stopping by and sharing your experience with us. You nailed it; our location is perfect for any type of trip.

Hope you'll come back next time you're in town.

New Braunfels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

!!!! PARKING TIP!!!! Ok, as far as the hotel, it was great. Same hip and trendy decor that all Kimptons are known for. Use their loyalty program to get free wifi and 20% off your stay. Minute walk to Independence Hall or Liberty Bell. Talula's Garden is a 10 minute walk through the park. Parking was $40 a night with in and out included. Independence Hall parking garage is one block north and never gets full. It was only $18 a night. Will definitely be back here for my next stay in Philadelphia.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
It's no secret....our members get the best treatment! Discounted room rates, $10 to Raid the Bar, free Wi-Fi, and discounted in room massage services to name a few. Thanks for sharing some great local tips and great feedback!

Hope you'll be back soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I hold this truth to be self-evident...the Hotel Monaco is now my favorite hotel in Philadelphia.

The Hotel Monaco (Philadelphia) is located adjacent to Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. It seemed exciting to have so much history right outside the door, and to imagine Benjamin Franklin making dinner plans down on the square. It's easy to walk around old city, and it's close to a number of great restaurants.

As we arrived, the valet taking our car was welcoming and friendly. Indeed, every staff member we met during our stay was smiling helpful. The hotel seemed hip enough to attract young 20-something partiers, yet maintained a comfortable feel for more senior travelers enjoying a night in the city. A wine social from 5-6p, and tea and coffee in the morning, allowed for some mingling and laughs.

We had a corner spa room. What a treat! It had a soaking tub (big enough for two to share) overlooking Independence Hall. The Independence Hall clock chimed 8 times at 8p and reminded us that it was dinner time. The rooftop lounge is a fun outdoor spot to start the evening with a cocktail, or to finish the evening in style.

In the morning, the house-made apple cider donuts available in the Red Owl Tavern were just the right amount of crispy outside, moist inside, and sugary goodness.

We enjoyed every aspect of our stay. If we were going to try to find some downsides we might note the following: a) The hotel's website seems proud of their linens...but we actually thought they were less luxurious feeling than we were expecting. And, b) at the price point (plus, $40 for parking) this seems more of a special occasion hotel than a routine stay hotel - look for some web special rates.

Room Tip: Splurge on the corner spa room if you can.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jessica L, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
It sounds like the Monaco was made especially for you. Everything you described from the staff to the experience is exactly how we want all of our guests to remember their stay with us.

Happy to see that you got to take advantage of all we have to offer on property and locally.

I'm not sure if you've heard of our loyalty program - but if you have a chance take a look, its free to join and you get special member only rates!

Come see us again soon - thank you so much for your feedback.

Paramus, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We are on the 2nd floor, it's 11:00 and there's a wedding on the lobby level. The bass thumping is unbearable. We have to raise the volume on our TV 30 to drown it out. Forget about rest, relaxation and sleep is out of the question. The front desk tells us that we will have to endure this for another hour. $300 a night for this? You have to be kidding me! I have been to hundreds of hotels around the world and this is the worst noise violation I have ever experienced. If you plan to be in your room before midnight, make sure you ask if there is a wedding scheduled for the night(s) you're staying. Trust me when I say that I am not thin skinned nor am I ultra sensitive to loud music, this hotel is not built to host a wedding without disturbing the rest of the guests.

Room Tip: Aim for a high floor away from the noise.
Hi Scott,

I appreciate you reaching out to us. I'd like the chance to talk more about your experience. Please reach out to me when you have an opportunity.

jessica.lavin@hotelmonaco.com

Jessica

Been to Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!