“Great Location! Terrible Valet (Lost License Plate)” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   433 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Book Early And Save
Ranked #1 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington, DC, United States
“Great Location! Terrible Valet (Lost License Plate)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed in the Hotel Monaco on Saturday and enjoyed our stay. The wine Happy Hour from 5-6pm was great and guest service brought up hypoallergenic pillows upon request. Everything was great until we checked out and the valet brought around our car. The front license plate was sheared off the front bumper. We called the hotel from the road and asked them to find it. We did not call to find the culprit but merely to find the front license plate so we can remount it and avoid going to the DMV and paying $135+ for replacement plates. We were promised a callback, but nobody ever called. Having booked the room through Priceline for $100+tax, the replacement of the license plate will cost more then a night in the Hotel Monaco.

Room Tip: Pick a room facing the Liberty Bell
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful stay here this weekend! The staff were very accommodating and responded to our requests. The hotel is beautiful and the kids loved all of the fun details. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The Hotel Monaco is not a stereo- typical hotel. The rooms are beautiful. The Hotel Monaco is in a great location. It is right across the street from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. All the historical attractions of Philly are near the hotel. The service is excellent! The valets were super nice and remembered our names. The front desk was also very helpful and friendly. The hotel restaurant was very good. Overall, The Hotel Monaco was very nice and a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay the hotel is in a great location in Old City Philadelphia; walkable to most historic sites. We also loved the hotel itself from the fun decor, wine hour and friendly staff I would definitely return. Also liked the Red Owl tavern attached to the hotel food was good and they offered a good beer selection.

• Stayed August 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

First a quick overview of my stay:

When I booked it, I booked a Corner King Spa Room for not only the great tub and shower combo but also because their website promised great views of the independence hall area.

When I arrived at 5pm my room was still not ready. After about 5 minutes of the staff trying to decide what they were going to do they upgraded me to a one bedroom suite. Hurray me!!! or so I thought.

The one room suite I received room 301 had the view of the back of the front entrance and the tips of trees. The view of independence hall and the park across the street was completely blocked.

Also every hour the bell at independence hall rings and it does this all night long. So if your a lite sleeper this could give you problems. They did offer to move me but I declined thinking it wouldn't be that big of a problem.

The restaurant they have the Red Owl Tavern is subpar at best. The prices are extremely high for the quality of food and service. One morning I ordered an egg white omelet that was huge. Unfortunately it was 80% vegetables 15% cheese and 5% egg.

Pros:
Great location
Hotel Staff is awesome
Rooms are clean and large, at least the suites are
Hotel reasonably priced for area
Fitness center is larger then most hotels
Tub/shower is awesome
free yoga mat in the rooms
roof top bar

Cons:
Blocked view in room 301
Ringing Bell every hour, not their fault but still annoying
Restaurant staff is slow and food is subpar
minibar prices are insane, $8 for M&Ms
elevators are super tiny you can get about 4 people in them.
only one window in living room area and then a giant curtained wall

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Had a hard time choosing between this property and the one in Rittenhouse District. BUT...I am so happy I chose what I did! Hotel located in old city which was busy with tourists but so beautiful to walk through in the morning before it got super busy. From the front door men to the front desk staff, I felt recognized and taken care of. The Red Tavern was a great place to grab some food and/or drink. My son thought the burger was DELISH!!! The rooms were quirky in decorations (sort of an Alice in Wonderland theme?) but I have NEVER slept on a more comfortable bed- EVER! Bathrooms set up interestingly- free standing tub and separate shower in a 1/2 glassed off part of the room- water splashes from shower through the 1/2 open section onto rest of bathroom floor- need to put towels down- no vent in bathroom to release steam either (hard to do hair/makeup for us ladies) but very cool design none the less. I must also give GOLD STARS to the housekeeping staff we had on the 6th floor and the 9th floor. The rooms were spotless, the do not disturb signs respected (even when we got a late start, rooms always fixed up by time we returned), nice thank you note left for us after leaving our daily tip for them (very sweet) and just overall professional service...with a smile! It really made a nice impression on us. Loved the wine social hour- good group of friendly people..nice way to start an evening- Overall I can't say enough great things about this place and seriously can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: One bedroom suite had great extra space
Green Features: Seem to make a point to recycle (different trash cans in bedroom) and notices in room regarding towels and how to keep them from being washed everyday
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel was recommended to me by my boss who attended a convention recently in Philly. He said, no doubt, I will love the place and he was right. The price was reasonable and the front desk was immensely friendly and helpful every day we were there. What I loved best was the view. We had a room on the ninth floor that faced the park where we could view the Visitor Center (it's new), the Liberty Bell Center (that looks like it just opened up a few months ago), -- and the piece de resistance: INDEPENDENCE HALL. I could have tossed a baseball to whomever was in the bell tower of the hall -- not that anyone would be allowed to go up there (unless, of course, you are Nicholas Cage in NATIONAL TREASURE, the movie). Hotel Monaco was the closest hotel to Indepence Hall's entrance. So close, that my husband decided instead of using the public restroom of the visitor center, he'd just take a quick couple minute jaunt back to the hotel room, then meet us at the security entrance to the hall. Love it!

We were only a couple blocks from Benjamin Franklin's final resting place and a couple blocks beyond it is the Philadelphia Mint where almost every coin we use is made there. The teens actually enjoyed that self-guided tour! If anyone visits Philly, this is the hotel I'm recommending over and over again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!