You added Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   433 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Early & Save 10%
Ranked #1 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
arizona
“Love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is a great hotel. Excellent service, fabulous location, reasonably priced (for the area) and interesting decor. I must have gotten a newly renovated room because everything in the room is sparkling clean (I love that in a hotel). The decor is bright and eclectic...I wouldn't chose to decorate my home this way but it's kind of fun to live in for a day.

Pros: Great location (across the street from the liberty bell), excellent customer service, reasonably priced, close to some great restaurants, clean and comfy beds. Free wifi for Kimpton members.

Cons: Valet parking was $40 for 24 hours (ouch!).

Bottom line: If you're touring downtown Phili, this hotel is a great choice. I totally recommend it!

Room Tip: Sign up for Kimpton rewards and you'll get wifi for free.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Turkish first
Santa Monica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Great location and beautiful hotel in an old building across the street from Independence Hall. Walking distance from South Street (and Jim's Steaks) and all historic attractions. Also near subway and buses. Incredibly accommodating staff, no problem getting connecting rooms with our kids. Brand new and fun, great Kimpton Hollywood Regency style. Great beds. Nice wine tastings every afternoon, coffee in the morning in the lobby (no coffee maker in rooms). Really good restaurant, Red Owl Tavern, with a great happy hour and bar, and full of locals.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
East Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

What a surprise. A boutique type with vey eclectic interior design. Happy Hour wine bar in lobby. Loved the location across from historic sites of Philly. the Stratus on top of hotel was very cool. the staff was very nice and helpful. the restaurant was excellent with a urban feast kind of menu.

AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I'm generally a Kimpton fan, with some noticeable exceptions (NY, for example) and this is a great member of the brand. Great location, very nicely appointed small rooms, free wifi for Kimpton members. This one has a very welcoming staff and a terrific cafe attached (and there are literally hundreds of great restaurants within walking distance.)
My only quibble was that I could not get hot water at night, which is often a problem in hotels, which turn off the boiler in the evening, completely eliminating that nice hot bath or shower at the end of a long day.

Room Tip: I got a corner room with nice views but it was quite tiny.
St. Louis, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is one of many hotels I have stayed in Philly, including their sister hotel, Palomar. First impression: it's around 3:30 and my room is ready, my sister's is not. No biggie, we put our luggage in my room and go to the adjoining tavern for a beer. Front desk says it will call her cell when the room is ready. We are told that the guest before her "didn't want to leave" which fills our heads with impressions of someone sick or drunk who can't leave...

About 4:30 after a beer, we still haven't heard from front desk so walk on over to check. We wait for about 10 minutes, then we are told her room is ready. Everyone very friendly and smiley, but no real apology.

My room is beautiful. Overlooking Independence Hall, bright and light. Her room across the hall is very dark and has a view of another wall. I feel slightly guilty as I had e mailed that since she got a better rate, I hope I would get a better room since we are so competitive. I sure did.

I love the kitschy décor, the extra outlets on the desk, the shower curtain that bows out, the fun robes. Hate that the bathroom has no fan, and the sliding door is loud.

See a wedding party in the lobby... uh oh. They had fun... lot's of fun. I was awakened many many times far into the night and morning with drunken screeches and partying. Just when I started to call down to the front desk the group would quiet. I would fall asleep, then the next wave would come. Not restful at ALL.

Breakfast at adjoining restaurant was delicious, very affordable. Very friendly staff.
Dropped by the front desk before going out for the day to ask a question. They asked about the stay so far and we told them about the noise. They said we should have called down (true) and that the party was checking out today. Very smiley and friendly. Get's me wondering why they would put regular guests on the same floor as wedding party guests.

Wine happy hour very crowded as a good portion of the lobby is under renovation and curtained off. We were asked by someone serving how are stay has been. Told her again about the noise, she apologized and comped us breakfast for the next day. Very nice gesture.

That evening we went to the rooftop bar. What a cool place, love it! Also crowd was very diverse, we were afraid it would be all spiked nude shoe wearing 20 somethings, but was not the case.

Also appreciated the elevator security where you must swipe your room card to stop on the hotel floors.

My college son bailed on staying a second night at the hotel as he said he needed sleep! I returned to the room looking forward to a restful evening. Then I discovered: The clock on top of Independence Hall is LOUD. And it bongs every hour on the hour... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. Not the melodic, church bell rings of Italy, but startling deep bongs. Certainly not in any way the fault of Hotel Monaco, but light sleepers should not sleep on this side of the hotel!

Also, just a weird thing, but many times the doorman and bellman were clustered together talking and did not grab the doors for us coming or going or ask if we needed a cab .

So, would I stay here again? Probably not as I love Rittenhouse and Four Seasons, and would choose Palomar over Monaco in this price range due to the quiet factor and my personal preferences. Would I recommend? With caveats. The location is fantastic, especially for first time Philadelphia visitors.

Room Tip: Light sleepers should not choose a room overlooking Independence Hall!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Alameda, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed at the Hotel Monaco for a few day visit in Philly. Very well trained staff. Very friendly, welcoming and helpful...really genuinely nice people. The hotel has the best location for visiting the Independence Hall area, it's right cross the street from the Independence Hall! You can walk to many of the attractions and shopping areas. The decor of this hotel is very eclectic and fun. Clean room. Very comfortable bed. I usually have a problem sleeping well the first night at a hotel but that was not the case at the Monaco. Complimentary fresh fruit infused iced water in the lobby all day as well as coffee and tea in the morning and an hour-long wine tasting in the afternoon. They really know how to take care of their guests! The Red Owl Restaurant was excellent for breakfast. Solid food that was reasonably priced and a great way to start the day. Love this hotel!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park with the Signer statue, the front of the hotel. I had a room facing t...
Mount Vernon, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have now stayed at the Hotel Monaco 3 or 4 times this year. It's in an interesting part of town, diagonally across from Independence Hall. The building looks to be an early 20th century office building, creatively converted into a hotel. The decor is bright and whimsical, appealing to youthful spirits. I am a 59 year-old businessman, but enjoy a change of pace at the end of the workday. The staff is attentive and helpful. I had one disturbing experience when the housemaid cleared out my room while I was away during the day and threw out prescription medications, books and other personal items. The hotel management went out of its way to make things right. I ended up feeling much better about the hotel, if not the housemaid.

Room Tip: I would steer clear of the top floor, because of the folks getting off the elevator to climb the sta...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!