“Perfect Weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   433 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Book Early And Save
Ranked #1 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Perfect Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Monaco to attend my son's wedding weekend. We had a totally positive experience. The rooms are wonderfully whimsical in decor and the service from staff impeccable.
We loved how accommodating everyone was and made us feel as if we were guests in a friend's home.

I would highly recommend the Monaco to anyone staying in the heart of Philadelphia and, when the occasion arises, I will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for room with larger window.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Sean F, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you Barbara R!

Happy to hear you had a great time during your son’s wedding weekend, and congrats to you and the family!

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Turkish first
Oakland Park, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The hotel, the physical space is wonderful, they did a great job using an old building and making it work..... but as far as the service goes and the employees..... really, some of the rudes hotel staff I have ever encountered.... and the staff in the Red Owl Tavern...... was just horrible.... plus the food for brunch was very bad, but then you know what they say about hotel resturants..... don't think I will go back there any time soon, and will tell other about how bad the service was..... it is a shame, but then Kimpton Hotel's have another property in Philadelphia, and the service there is just as bad..... REALLY

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Frank,

It is really unfortunate to read your review about the hotel. Would you mind contacting me directly so we can discuss. I checked our records and dont see a past reservation with your name, is it possible it was under a different name? You can contact me at 267-386-9462.

Parsonsfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I had planned a long birthday weekend stay months in advance with a special Kimpton In Touch rate for my partner. We had no idea we would be fleeing from the biggest snowstorm of the year as we live in Maine. We arrived in Philadelphia just past the snow/rain line in NJ and were welcomed with open arms to the Monaco Philadelphia early on a Friday afternoon. Upon check in we were informed of our complimentary upgrade to a one bedroom corner suite overlooking Independence Park and the Liberty Bell. Since I am originally from the Philadelphia area, the Bell is no big deal, but the suite we were in was the best room we have ever stayed in. There was a huge living room with four large windows, a large white sectional sofa, desk, great flat panel TV, and other graphically beautiful furnishings. Whimsy abounds in every nook and corner of the Monaco. The bedroom had a King bed with another TV. The bathroom had a huge soaking tub with open concept shower and really nice toiletries from Etro. Over the three days that we stayed at the Monaco. we did have a few missteps, including one day we had been out all day to return to our room that had not been made up. A quick call to the front desk and the room was immediately taken care of along with a bottle of wine and some snacks. Thank you, Hotel Monaco. We were treated with great service from all employees we encountered. Everyone was pleasant without being overbearing. The decor of the hotel may not be everyone's cup of tea. I find it refreshing when everywhere I look, I see something fresh and new that makes me smile. I really can't say enough about the rooms at the Monaco. We felt so lucky to have gotten our upgrade and I thank everyone who helped to make our weekend in snow-free Philadelphia, a weekend we will remember for quite some time. As to the parking situation, we parked in the public parking lot underneath Independence Park right across the street from the hotel for $18.00 a day.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room, they have tons of natural light...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean F, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Hello Robertwcook,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your visit. I am happy to hear your experience was wonderful!

We hope to see you again soon.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Recently stayed for 3 nights, total of 5 people in 3 rooms. All 5 of us, different ages, tastes, pickyness etc, thoroughly enjoyed the hotel and it would be the hotel of choice for us in Philly. As outlined again and again in every review, the Hotel is beautifully and expensively decorated. As it is new, everything is in tip-top shape, and it’s also obvious the cleaning staff does a very good job. Rooms are comfortably appointed. The beds are very comfortable, the bathrooms are nice – the water spilling from the shower was not an issue for me, neither was low water pressure.
The windows in non-park view rooms are tiny and make the room seem very dark and small, if natural light is important to you-upgrade. I also found the thumping bass from the rooftop bar - 4 floors above- interfered with my sleep two nights in a row. We also had issues with check-in (not getting into our rooms until 5:45pm on a Thursday..), misplaced luggage, slow luggage delivery, mis-charges from the minibar etc. All things that can be worked out in the first few months of opening I suppose.
Best parts about the hotel: Beautiful rooms, clean and quiet, comfortable beds, amazing location (could see Liberty Bell from my room), fantastic staff (everyone was so helpful and friendly), good room rates, and little things like Happy Hour from 5-6 and coffee and tea in the morning contribute surprisingly well to enjoying the hotel and the people staying in it – I’ve never hung out in a hotel lobby purposefully before, and I was very surprised that I actually ended up getting to know people – in a hotel!
If I come back to Philly, I will most definitely be staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TXWORLDTRAVEL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Hotel Monaco provided a peaceful respite convenient for on-off freeway on my trip. The staff went out of their way to ensure I was comfortable (late night arrival / early departure) and had everything I needed to get a good night's sleep and be on my way the next day. Kudos to Bellman (Brad?) for his attentiveness around getting my car as quickly as possible in order to get me on my way.

Will absolutely return! Love Kimpton properties!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thanks TXWORLDTRAVEL!!!

Happy you chose to stay with us during your trip. I will be sure to thank Brad for providing exceptional service and anticipating your needs.

Don’t be a stranger and come back!

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I had not stayed in a Monaco for some time and this one really knocks it out of the park on several fronts. The decor is wacky, wild and wonderful. You'd never want this in your house but for a couple of days, it's just fun. It's not traditional, colonial American that's for sure. The location is awesome. Staff were very attentive and helpful on every front.

Did have problems twice with their new key system, which was a little annoying (having to go back down to the front desk to get a key that actually worked for the elevator or the room).

The restaurant has so much potential but of the dinner and the breakfast we had there, only the pork chop was memorable and a few things like the breakfast potatoes and pickled vegetables need to be completely rethought (read: barely edible).

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Herculepoirot,

Thank you so much for staying with us! Happy to hear this Monaco knocked it out of the park.

Certainly is a beautiful property with an outstanding team. I greatly appreciate the feedback about Red Owl and will share your review with them.

Hope to welcome you back soon.

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Kimpton hotels are always fun and stylish and this one was no exception. The oversized patterns, bright colors and touches of whimsy subtly evoke Alice in Wonderland, and lo... there was a copy of the Lewis Carroll classic in my room. The rooms are a riot of bold wallpaper and carpet and bright lacquered colors. It might not be what I choose at home, but for a hotel stay it was fun and it worked. At the same time, everything is comfortable - plush bed, luxurious walk-in shower, good temperature control. The complimentary evening wine hour and morning beverages (and good newspaper selection!) are nice touches. We enjoyed a good and timely room service dinner from the Red Owl Tavern. We also checked out the rooftop bar/lounge, Stratus. What a cool space! Definitely worth a return, especially in warmer weather. The sunny restaurant looked very pleasant, and I regretted not being able to sit and enjoy breakfast there. If you are a member of Kimpton InTouch (just sign up), you get not only free wifi (and really, it irks me that all hotels don't offer this), but also a $10 credit towards the minibar/fridge selections. Talk about a kid in a candy store!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks Elyn!!

So happy to see you had some fun during your stay! Thanks for the 5 stars!

We can’t wait to welcome you back.

See you soon.

Director of Fun

Been to Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!