“First rate hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   433 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Book Early And Save
Ranked #2 of 82 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chambersburg
“First rate hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

It is so refreshing to stay at a property that is so well-rounded and capable as Hotel Monaco in Philadelphia. From the moment of our arrival by car, we were made to feel welcome by a staff that is obviously well-trained and enjoys their job of taking care of guests. All of the amenities have been mentioned by other reviewers but I will say the fresh fruit flavored waters in the lobby as well as the wine and coffee bar. Our meals at the Red Owl Tavern were excellent including the Valentine dinner. The only problem we encountered was with another thoughtless, rude guest who had brought a dog that barked incessently day and night but we were assured that there were pet-free floors available of which we will avail ourselves next trip. The biggest plus for Hotel Monaco is location as it is literally across the street from Independence Park, the Liberty Bell, Constitution Hall, etc. so most of the major Philly freedom attractions are within easy walking distance. But if you are up to a carriage ride or want the touristy double decker bus thing, that is also just across the street. All in all a 5 star stay.

Room Tip: If you are not into sleeping in a kennel, be sure to request a pet-free floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean F, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear ChambersburgParagon,

Thank you for staying with us on recent trip to the City of Brotherly Love! Happy to see it was an enjoyable one, minus the barking dog of course.

We will see you next time on a pet free floor.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Turkish first
Wayne, PA.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Yes, that describes the Hotel Monaco! I stayed there one night with my girlfriend and found that this hotel was a former office building and it just opened in October. So yes, it's new and very clean (and being 'dog-friendly' the 'clean' part was a concern...just hoping it stays that way!)

The room was neat as a pin, warm and cozy. I stayed on the 9th floor and it was very quiet.

I do not understand some other reviewers' concerns here about the 'half-door' shower: Very little water splashed onto the bathroom floor--no issues there.

There are some kinks that they need to work out; mainly some of the service in the Red Owl Tavern but this hotel should be a great choice for anyone visiting the Independence Hall historical area (it's right across the street from the hotel!) or folks wishing to explore the city. Definitely consider it--I know I will be back again!

Parking tip: The hotel offers valet parking service at $40 per night per car and there is in and out access. One option (if you plan to leave your car and walk most places) is to park in the garage lot in the Bourse building--it's right next to the Ritz movie theater and around the corner--a two-minute walk: It recently cost me $25.00 to park on a Saturday at 3pm leaving Sunday at 11:15am.

Hi Gus64,

Happy to see you had a good time with us. I appreciate all the feedback and great comments. I will be sure to share this review with the team at Red Owl.

Thanks again!

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Great location,modern,comfortable rooms,great front desk staff. Our room looked out on independence hall. Afternoon wine reception very nice extra, roof top lounge is must see. Only disappointment was red owl tavern on first floor, seemed overpriced & service was inconsistent.
Walk to all historic area venues,very knowledgeable concierge. Don,t miss jewish history museum a block away,5 floors of american history in one spot.

Room Tip: Ask for parkview room
Thanks Bulldog64!

Thanks for choosing the Monaco on your weekend getaway. That’s great to hear you had an enjoyable time.

Hope to welcome you back soon!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at hotel Monaco in Center City for one night. We had plans for dinner with family. It was fabulous. The staff was pleasant, public areas and rooms clean, and the little extras appreciated. From the evening wine reception, and morning coffee - both complimentary, to free WiFi (you need to join the rewards program, but that is free and simple to do) and well outfitted, clean workout facility we were impressed. At a time when most hotels are sneaking fees at you for the basics this is a great deal. We will return and try Kimpton's in other cities, as we travel often.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Sean F, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thanks Gina P!

Happy to hear you guys had a great time with us! Wine hour is my favorite time of day to relax and get to know our guests.

Best,

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We decided last minute to do an overnight in Philadelphia on our way to NYC. Since we are staying at Ink48 in NYC, we decided to try the Hotel Monaco here in Philadelphia. That turned out to be a fantastic decision. Upon arriving by auto, I was warmly greeted at the curb and my bags were brought inside. I spend 5 minutes talking to the doorman. He answered all my questions. What a greeting. Next was check-in. I had called ahead to see if I could check in an hour early. When I arrived at the front desk, I gave them my name and was told a room was already reserved for me. My wife arrived around 5:30pm, just in time for wine hour. We hung out in this fantastically decorated lobby. Comfortable and unique is the only way to describe it. You need to spend time just looking around and taking it all in. The rooms are equally unique and well decorated. The colors are fun. In the morning, while my wife was sleeping in, I hung out in the lobby enjoying free coffee and doing some work (they had the most unique working chair and I sat there trying to figure out how to take it home without anyone noticing). I got to meet various members of the staff, and each one was more pleasant than the next. This is a fantastic hotel, the décor and staff were wonderful and made for a fantastic stay if only for a night. Will need to come back to Hotel Monaco and spend time exploring Philly.

Thanks Happyrocks!!!

I am so excited to see you had such a wonderful Valentine's Day with us! That writing chair is pretty cool right? I hope you had fun at our sister hotel in NYC.

Weston, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I cannot say enough for our weekend experience at The Kimton Hotel's Hotel Monaco Philadelphia. The Hotel has not been open long but we wouldn't have known it. Any "kinks" were ironed out, or if they weren't, staff response was so exemplary we didn't mind. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms elegantly funky and comfortable. All the staff we encountered was customer-focused. On a slightly negative note, we were less than impressed with the restaurant. We found the food to be average and the prices too high.
This is the second Kimpton Hotel I have visited and have had such good experiences that I will always check to see if there is Kimpton Hotel where I visit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thanks Padlyn!

I am happy to see you had such a great experience with us, thank you for all the wonderful comments. I did take note about your comments about our restaurant, I will be sure to share your review the team so that we can work to make it a better experience!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

My name is Mrs.Harriott , and I spent three wonderful nights here the staff was wonderful . I was very impressed with valet even though I've stayed a five star hotel with lower valet rates ,they make up for it with their service. Also Roheim was excellant from the front desk .and the concerige was helpful. I'm a native to Philly and don't visit often but this place makes me want to come back more often .

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Mrsqiana,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to tell others about your experience. I am very happy to see you had an excellent experience, and will be sure to thank Roshid for providing exceptional service!

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Best,

Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!