“Monumental hit in philly!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   433 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Book Early And Save
Ranked #2 of 82 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington
“Monumental hit in philly!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Cannot beat the location of this newly opened gem. Located directly across from the liberty bell and independence hall, the Monaco is a stylish retreat

The staff is engaging and friendly. The high design exhibited in the lobby carries upstairs into the hallways and into each guest room

Our queen queen room overlooked independence hall as promised with spacious rooms and nice sized bathrooms with etro toiletries

Nightly complementary wine happy hour in lobby are a great way to unwind after sightseeing

Be sure to check out the rooftop bar/ lounge

Be sure to sign up for the complementary kimpton group guest rewards program online - brings you free wifi and on site benefits

• Stayed January 2013
Sean F, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear GeneDC,

It is so wonderful to read guest feedback and see such great experiences! I am happy you and the fam enjoyed your time with us.

Don't be stranger!!

Best,

Sean Flanigan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Turkish first
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We are two friends who live in different states and chose Philadelphia to meet in the middle for a weekend getaway. We wanted a hotel in a safe location but within walking distance to nearby attractions. One of us had stayed at the Kimpton Hotel in Baltimore, liked it a lot and decided to try Hotel Monaco.

All we can say is "Wow!" The ambiance, decor, cleanliness, service was just over the top. The staff was incredibly attentive ... Roshid, "T" and Jonathan were amazing.

Here's what we loved: free cocktail hour every night, coffee in the morning, pets are welcome.....puppies and wine... What could be better?

Kudos to Kimpton's VP of Design, Ave Bradley for her bold and unique design. Every space entertains and engages.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks SuzanneG!!

We love puppies and wine too! I will be sure to personally thank Roshid, T, and Jonathan for doing such a great job.

Ave does do some amazing work doesn’t she?!

Come back soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for two days. Great location in the historic district. The staff is very friendly and the hotel seems very popular as a meeting place. Like other Klimpton hotels, the decorations are trendy but the room was very nice and comfortable. Would stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear WCHBOS,

Thank you for staying with us! Happy to see you had a great time.

Hope to see you again soon.

Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

there is trendy, and then there is this place. kinda crazy,

I mean its clean and the staff is nice, its just the decor is way too much. The reception desk kinda hurts to look at.

All the important stuff is positive... minus the 40 dollar valet parking. kinda thought that was a bit high... but what can you do?

Room Tip: try the print robes....just to giggle about it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear BrooklynDanNYC,

Thank you for staying with us. I apologize the decor was not to your liking. As they say "Beauty/ Art is in the eye of the beholder.

Jonestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband surprised me with an overnight stay at the Hotel Monaco for my birthday. When we arrived, we were greeted by a friendly staff. Parking is by valet only and we had to do a few laps around the block until we could get close enough to the hotel. Each lap consisted of dodging horses and buggies that were picking up guests around Independence hall.

Upon check-in, we were notified of a 5-6 pm cocktail hour in the lobby consisting of red and white wine and spiked apple cider, free of charge. This was a nice and pleasant surprise. After dinner at Morimotos, we rode the elevator to the 12th floor at the hotel to check out the rooftop bar. It was very loud and crowded, so unfortunately we did not stay long. This would have been a nice lounge if the weather was warmer and we could have stayed outside longer.

The hotel was very nice and decorated in the "art deco" style. All of the decor was perfectly chosen and not too tacky or over-the-top. Our room was outfitted with a fire engine-red entertainment center, a king-size bed with a padded head board, blue and white patterned wall paper, and a dog-themed lamp and chair. The bathroom had a huge soaker tub and the shower was lined with red, glass tile.

Room Tip: Go for the King spa room. This has the awesome soaker tub!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Shakepaws,

Happy Belated Birthday! I am happy to see you guys had a great time with us.

Hope to welcome you back in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Just got back from a Saturday night stay at the Hotel Monaco Philadelphia. The hotel is amazing. We moved to Washington, DC from Philly before it opened and were very impressed by the renovations. The decor is great, very clean, and everyone is friendly. We have stayed at many Kimpton hotels, but I think that the two Philadelphia Kimpton properties might be their two best.

The Red Owl Tavern we tried for brunch and also got dessert there on Saturday night. It was really good and the staff was really friendly.

The only negative aspect to the hotel is their rooftop bar. I almost took a star off for this, but the room and the rest of the experience was perfect so I kept it at 5 stars. Basically what makes Kimpton great is that you can get an excellent experience with friendly and welcoming service. This was not the kind of feeling we got when going to Stratus, the rooftop bar which does not have any views of the city. They seemed to be trying to create an exclusive club feel and the doormen at the hotel entrance at night and the bartenders did not make us feel welcome.

So I would skip Stratus, but other than that I would recommend everything about the hotel. Also love the location: even better than the Palomar's Rittenhouse Square location in my opinion.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks Mateo1380!!

Happy to see you enjoyed your time at Hotel Monaco and in Red Owl Tavern! I am sorry to hear about your feeling towards Stratus and I will be sure to share your feedback with them.

Best Regards,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This was an excellent stay in Philadelphia, my hotel stay felt "great" with a little extra.

First, the staff were outstanding. Warm, friendly, responsive and helpful. True to the "Kimpton" logo, they made me feel cared for and welcome. The door man was over the top, I was greeted with a warm and welcoming smile. Each time I exited or entered the hotel he found the perfect balance between being very friendly (welcoming me back and making sure I know where I am going), but not overbearing. The front desk staff were welcoming, and the servers at the wine social hour were also pleasantly friendly and warm. Everything was perfectly run by the staff.

Second, the decor was fun, whimsical and elegant at once. Not your standard cookie cutter hotel decor, but with a style and distinction of its own. I liked both the decor of the hotel and my room. The bed was fantastic, top of the line comfort of bed and linens. And the view from my room was unbeatable. I could see Independence Hall, lit up, front and center as a dominant part of my window frame, even when propped on my bed reading. It was really a prime view of historic Philadelphia. The room was quiet, the internet fast, lighting good, work desk comfortable and large fluffy towels. I was sorry I did not spend more time in my room (I had business to do).

Finally, I love all the little extras one gets at the Kimpton. Water flavored with fresh fruit (choice of berries or orange) in the lobby. Social wine hour that actually serves surprisingly good wine. It is rare one experiences something fun and upbeat (even the elevator music was upbeat), yet with 5 star service and efficiency of management and staff.

They are doing something right, this is now my favorite hotel in Philadelphia, out of quite a few that I have tried.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, as the views can be great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you Peerster!

I greatly appreciate all the wonderful comments!! I am happy you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and we are your new fav in Philly!

Come see us again soon :)

Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!