“Hotel is fine but Red Owl Tavern steak cooking needs some improvement” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   433 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Parking Package
Ranked #1 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Irvine, California, United States
“Hotel is fine but Red Owl Tavern steak cooking needs some improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Location cannot be beaten, and the hotel and the service is fine, but Red Owl Tavern's steaks need a lot of improvements. I ate steaks from many different restaurants, and their steaks are not up to par. Red Owl Tavern interior and service are fine. Note we only tried steaks, not other menu.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sean F, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Webattorney,

Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco on your recent trip to the City of Brotherly Love! I was happy to see that you enjoyed your stay but did take note of your comments in regards to the steaks at Red Owl and apologize it wasn’t to your liking. I will be sure to follow up with our Chef so we can improve. Thank you for sharing as we greatly appreciate all feedback to become better.

Hotel Manager

1,025 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I just returned from a wonderful visit to Philadelphia where I stayed at the brand new Monaco Hotel. The hotel's decor is bright and vibrant. Everyone I encountered from the bellmen to front desk staff to housekeeping and the bartenders (at Stratus Rooftop Bar) were extremely friendly, personable and happy. They all seem to genuinely like their job and enjoy interaction with guests. I felt like I was at home, despite being 2500 miles away from my real home!!

The rooms are comfortable, spacious and well-suited for business travelers, as well as those there for leisure. My trip was a combination of both as I was able to work and relax in my room. I always enjoy staying at Kimpton Hotels as they truly have exceptional service and make their InTouch members feel special. Free wifi, complimentary mini bar goodies and a complimentary wine hour in the lobby are just a few of the perks I enjoyed during my stay.

The hotel is conveniently located across the street from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell and a few blocks from the National Constitution Center, National Liberty Museum and other fun and touristy places to explore. I travel quite frequently for business and pleasure and I hope to stay here again soon and I will definitely recommend to my colleagues who travel to Philly.

Room Tip: I highly recommend staying in a king spa corner room (such as 602 and 702). They have incredible vie...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Alysa32,

WOW an A+? That is music to my ears!! Thank you for all the amazing comments and for staying with us.

Hope to welcome you back soon. A+ will be tough to beat; does your grading go up to A++?

Director of Getting Straight A's
Bear
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We loved our stay here! The decor was amazing and service, phenomenal! There were attentive doormen, everyone greeted us as we came through the lobby; There was even someone to call the elevators and hold the doors for us! The staff made us feel like ROYALTY and the room was a delight. Quality complimentary bath products (one I like so much I am going to see if I can purchase more online lol) and gorgeous design. Would highly recommend!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Lynette T,

I love hearing about our guest’s visits and I am excited to see that you enjoyed everything about the Monaco. I will be sure to personally thank the team for making you feel like royalty as every guest is when they come here.

See you soon!

Director of Making Every Guest Feel Like Royalty
west chester pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at the new Hotel Monaco in Philadelphia recently with some friends for a belated Christmas celebration. I am a big Kimpton fan and stay in their hotels whenever possible. This Kimpton is exceptional. First of all, it is only a few months old so everything is in perfect condition. There were no signs that this hotel is new when it comes to service. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable and professional. Our room was spacious and comfortable -- and had the wonderful eclectic decor for which Kimptons are known. One of the best things about the hotel is the "living room" -- or lobby which is comfortable and inviting - especially during the free wine reception.

We got a special weekend rate which made it a great value.

I have stayed in Kimptons in Boston, Cambridge, Salt Lake City, New York, San Francisco and Portland and this was the best.

If you are visiting Philadelphia, don't miss the Hotel Monaco!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Nickymart,

Happy to see you had wonderful time visiting us for a belated Christmas celebration! Thank you for being so loyal to Kimpton and for staying with us.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again.

Best,

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

... and after all of that running you are sure to relax, relate and release. The Philadelphia Monaco, with all of its dazzling, well-appointed bells & whistles, is a swanky new showstopper and the place to be. The views of the Independence Park and the surrounding area reminds me that "location, location, location" can elevate a great place into the Stratosphere. And speaking of awesome words that begin with "S", the rooftop hotspot Stratus is absolutely the crown jewel as a "place to see and be seen" without being utterly pretentious. Plenty of open areas and quiet cubby holes to enjoy a proper cocktail or 3.

The welcome reception and checkout staff were warm and gracious. And my corner suite with standing tub ... well, I almost didn't leave the room! Great staff, location and an all around fantastic stay. I hate to tell everyone but this delightful secret is too good to keep to myself! Visit often. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Corner suites ... must experience. Gives new meaning to room with a view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Profgonewild,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! What a great review! I greatly appreciate all the wonderful comments and happy to see you had a terrific time with us.

Don’t be a stranger and see us again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I had a great time. This was our first time staying there and I can wait to go back. Our room was perfect, the soaking tub was my favorite. The colors and the details of the room were fun and interesting. All the staff from the front desk to the doorman running down the street to give us an umbrella in the rain was perfect. Couldn't have asked for a better time. A great value compared to it other competition. We had the Spa king room and loved it. Can't wait to go back. Thanks again.

• Stayed January 2013
Sean F, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thanks Musselman123456789!!!

Happy you had a great time with us! Of course we would run down the street to give you an umbrella we don’t want any of our guests getting rained on!

Come back soon.

Umbrella Police
West Chester, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My husband and I recently enjoyed a lovely two night mini get away at this hotel. From the greeting on arrival at our car, to the assitance and send off when we left...we had nothing less than a delightful time. The hotel is a refreshing change of pace from so many cookie cutter hotels. Eclectic and whimsical with surprises in decor around every corner. The room was extremely comfortable. I had mentioned in the reservation that we were celebrating by husband's birthday...simply because there was a question about the reason for the visit. I had no expectations of anything special. At check in (easy, friendly, warm)...I was presented with a lovely 'welcome" note...and when we arrived in our beautiful room with a stunning view of Independence Park, awaiting our arrival was a huge piece of birthday cake with Happy Birthday written in icing on the plate, a bottle of wine and two glasses and a lovely birthday note to my husband.

I recommend this hotel without reservation (wait...you do need a reservation!!)...it felt almost as if we were being welcomed home by family...and the send off was just as warm and friendly as the welcome. We really did not want to leave and Hotel Monaco is without doubt our hotel of choice in Philadelphia!

Room Tip: As we've been only one time..I cannot say for sure. But our room on the 7th floor, overlooking...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bsashore!

Happy Belated Birthday to your husband! Thanks for picking us to celebrate.

Come back home we miss you two already!

Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!