“Wonderful Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   433 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Early & Save 10%
Ranked #1 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Eastern Shore, Maryland
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel and were extremely impressed. The staff were very accommodating, especially Rachid with Guest Services. He went out of his way to answer questions, provide information, etc. Our visit included an office holiday party with a sit-down dinner which was magnificent. Everyone raved about the food and service. The decor was truly amazing - very different from your standard hotel designs. I would definitely stay here again when traveling to Philadelphia.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Turkish first
Greenwood, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I am very impressed with the service I received from the staff at this hotel. The atmosphere was very aesthetically pleasing and the design is superb. If you enjoy keeping up to date with your workout, the Monaco’s fitness center rivals many other hotels. I also enjoyed the complimentary wine tasting hour and the free goodies in the lobby. Young or old, this hotel has it! From the rooftop club to the quiet, comfortable room, this well-kept, clean hotel has earned my business for future visits, no doubt.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The hotel relatively new to Philadelphia was full of odd decor, but everyone was more than willing to help me out with a number of requests; from printing out my boarding pass, to offering me directions to attractions in the area the staff truly made me feel welcome at the Monaco. The guestrooms are spacious, the decor again is unusual in nature (but then again this is part of the appeal of the Kimpton brand) - but bright compared to other brands of hotels that could look the same in any part of the world and lack creativity. I had a room overlooking the park which was nice. The only downside to my stay was two-fold; first the shower pressure, I think I took one of my longest showers in my life while there and the bathroom wasn't lit appropriately as the shower was tucked in a corner far from the light. Second, the nearest train station wasn't very walkable with a suitcase in tow (how I came from airport). All in all, I was a very satisfied client for the amount paid and if ever in Philly again I would certainly consider the Monaco again!

Room Tip: Ask to look over the park - the view was pleasant :)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Rochid from guest services and the door staff were AWESOME. They were consumate professionals, on beat and didn't miss anything. Thank you Rochid, Rocky, The General , and the other door staffmen that made my stay very special.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed for one night just to get away and we were impressed by this new hotel. It was SO convenient to Philly attractions. Cool layout, good staff and really funky (and comfy) rooms.

Do not miss the roof top bar!

Room Tip: face liberty bell and independence hall - cool!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I grew up in Philly and have about five family overnights per year there as many of my relatives remain there. I have stayed at all the major hotels in Philly, previously settling on the Sofitel before moving on to the Palomar as our goto hotel. Kimpton is my favorite hotel operator by a mile, and I always try to stay in Monacos and Palomars when I travel for business.

So you can imagine how pleased I was to find out that a Monaco was opening in Philly. I immediately snagged reservations there over Thanksgiving and Xmas. For Thanksgiving we secured corner suite for our family of four and a basic King room for my mother-in-law. The hotel was new, and the restaurant newer, when we stayed over Thanksgiving.

My expectations were high, and they were exceeded. The Philly Monaco is now my favorite Monaco (Baltimore, of all places, and Portland are now runners up). It is also my favorite hotel. Period.

Design: Like other Monaco's I've stayed in, the building is landmark-esque and has high ceilings. As per the Monaco brand I guess you can call it maximalism - flamboyant yet classy, modern yet warm. The pictures capture the gestalt of the design but not the quality and distinctiveness of every piece of furniture. The lobby is wonderful and very chill. It’s a good place to read the paper, get some free morning coffee, or meet up with others before going out.

Rooms: Wow. Even my hard-to-please, design-obsessed mother in law was blown away. Our suite had one nice touch after another, so much so that it’s hard to pick favorites. The sectional white leather couch, half of which opened up into a sofabed, and the adjacent comfy white leather chair, was mine. The bathroom with soaking tub my wife’s favorite.

The location is ideal even if you’re not a sightseer. The area west of Broad Street (which is about seven blocks up) has better shopping but is more 'generic city,' while the Society Hill area in which this hotel is located is distinctively colonial, charming, and rich with history. We managed to spend some in-between time throwing a football right in front of the hotel, in the expansive independence park, with the liberty bell on one side and independence hall on the other.

View: We had a direct view of Independence Park, with a view of Independence Hall (where it all began) if I were to sit in the comfy white leather chair in one corner of the room. I think that some reviewers who complained thought that they’d be gazing directly on Independence Hall.

Service: Check-in was very smooth. That evening the ‘turndown specialist’ came up within minutes of our requesting to have our sofabed made up. She couldn’t have been more personable, professional, and efficient.. The real test came at checkout. The hotel was very crowded (Black Friday), we had lots of baggage to load into two cars, and we had to transfer a large rug between the cars before departing (long story). They handled it all perfectly, and with a smile.

Amenities: the fitness room is brand spanking new with good equipment, TVs, and peaceful view with the occasional passing horse drawn carriage. We did have an unfortunate experience with room service , and service at the restaurant, but I’m chalking that up to the newness of the place (even relative to the hotel), but in the spirit of the holidays I will give them a chance to redeem themselves over Xmas, after which I’ll submit a follow-up review.

In sum, the Monaco has the coolness of the coolest design hotels without the pretentious and indifferent staff that sometimes comes with the territory. It adds to that the grandeur and elegance of a luxury hotel, but without the stuffiness.

Our family can’t wait to return over Christmas.

Room Tip: Try to be on the west side of the hotel. South seems fine too. You don't need a high floor to...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Monaco is the place where you want to be when you visit beautiful Philadelphia. Their super friendly staffs made me feel at home from the very moment I walked into the lobby. Everyone (and I say everyone) I ran into, from the doorman (James) to the front desk managers (Rob and Jonathan) and the concierge (Nasser) had smiles on their faces. I went up to my room and found another very pleasant surprise. A lovely welcome note from Casey in Guest Management was waiting for me on my desk. What a way to end a crazy day and a two hour car ride in foggy and rainy weather. And by the way, the hotel is just stunning from the sumptuous and charming lobby to the splendidly decorated guest rooms; I adore Kimpton because they love to please and pamper their guests and always go out of their way to exceed your expectations. I travel a lot and stay in many beautiful hotels around the world but Kimpton will always have a very special place in my heart. Thank you Rob, Jonathan, Nasser, James, Casey and all the staff at the Monaco for my wonderful stay and for making me feel so special. Keep raising the bar for the rest of the industry because they still have a lot to learn from you. Outstanding job and once again, thank you Monaco and Kimpton! Have a wonderful Holiday Season!
F C

Room Tip: I am sure all rooms are spectacular but if you can get one with a view of Independence Hall go for i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!