“Another fantastic Monaco. Ten thumbs up!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   433 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Book Early And Save
Ranked #1 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York, NY
“Another fantastic Monaco. Ten thumbs up!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I grew up in Philly and have about five family overnights per year there as many of my relatives remain there. I have stayed at all the major hotels in Philly, previously settling on the Sofitel before moving on to the Palomar as our goto hotel. Kimpton is my favorite hotel operator by a mile, and I always try to stay in Monacos and Palomars when I travel for business.

So you can imagine how pleased I was to find out that a Monaco was opening in Philly. I immediately snagged reservations there over Thanksgiving and Xmas. For Thanksgiving we secured corner suite for our family of four and a basic King room for my mother-in-law. The hotel was new, and the restaurant newer, when we stayed over Thanksgiving.

My expectations were high, and they were exceeded. The Philly Monaco is now my favorite Monaco (Baltimore, of all places, and Portland are now runners up). It is also my favorite hotel. Period.

Design: Like other Monaco's I've stayed in, the building is landmark-esque and has high ceilings. As per the Monaco brand I guess you can call it maximalism - flamboyant yet classy, modern yet warm. The pictures capture the gestalt of the design but not the quality and distinctiveness of every piece of furniture. The lobby is wonderful and very chill. It’s a good place to read the paper, get some free morning coffee, or meet up with others before going out.

Rooms: Wow. Even my hard-to-please, design-obsessed mother in law was blown away. Our suite had one nice touch after another, so much so that it’s hard to pick favorites. The sectional white leather couch, half of which opened up into a sofabed, and the adjacent comfy white leather chair, was mine. The bathroom with soaking tub my wife’s favorite.

The location is ideal even if you’re not a sightseer. The area west of Broad Street (which is about seven blocks up) has better shopping but is more 'generic city,' while the Society Hill area in which this hotel is located is distinctively colonial, charming, and rich with history. We managed to spend some in-between time throwing a football right in front of the hotel, in the expansive independence park, with the liberty bell on one side and independence hall on the other.

View: We had a direct view of Independence Park, with a view of Independence Hall (where it all began) if I were to sit in the comfy white leather chair in one corner of the room. I think that some reviewers who complained thought that they’d be gazing directly on Independence Hall.

Service: Check-in was very smooth. That evening the ‘turndown specialist’ came up within minutes of our requesting to have our sofabed made up. She couldn’t have been more personable, professional, and efficient.. The real test came at checkout. The hotel was very crowded (Black Friday), we had lots of baggage to load into two cars, and we had to transfer a large rug between the cars before departing (long story). They handled it all perfectly, and with a smile.

Amenities: the fitness room is brand spanking new with good equipment, TVs, and peaceful view with the occasional passing horse drawn carriage. We did have an unfortunate experience with room service , and service at the restaurant, but I’m chalking that up to the newness of the place (even relative to the hotel), but in the spirit of the holidays I will give them a chance to redeem themselves over Xmas, after which I’ll submit a follow-up review.

In sum, the Monaco has the coolness of the coolest design hotels without the pretentious and indifferent staff that sometimes comes with the territory. It adds to that the grandeur and elegance of a luxury hotel, but without the stuffiness.

Our family can’t wait to return over Christmas.

Room Tip: Try to be on the west side of the hotel. South seems fine too. You don't need a high floor to...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Monaco is the place where you want to be when you visit beautiful Philadelphia. Their super friendly staffs made me feel at home from the very moment I walked into the lobby. Everyone (and I say everyone) I ran into, from the doorman (James) to the front desk managers (Rob and Jonathan) and the concierge (Nasser) had smiles on their faces. I went up to my room and found another very pleasant surprise. A lovely welcome note from Casey in Guest Management was waiting for me on my desk. What a way to end a crazy day and a two hour car ride in foggy and rainy weather. And by the way, the hotel is just stunning from the sumptuous and charming lobby to the splendidly decorated guest rooms; I adore Kimpton because they love to please and pamper their guests and always go out of their way to exceed your expectations. I travel a lot and stay in many beautiful hotels around the world but Kimpton will always have a very special place in my heart. Thank you Rob, Jonathan, Nasser, James, Casey and all the staff at the Monaco for my wonderful stay and for making me feel so special. Keep raising the bar for the rest of the industry because they still have a lot to learn from you. Outstanding job and once again, thank you Monaco and Kimpton! Have a wonderful Holiday Season!
F C

Room Tip: I am sure all rooms are spectacular but if you can get one with a view of Independence Hall go for i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Colorado Springs CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We spent three nights at the Monaco while in town for the Army Navy game. Let's just say they had me at the absolutely stunning ship chandelier displayed above the entrance! Seemed only fitting for a NAVY win.
We enjoyed socializing with fellow fans during the evening wine hour and morning coffee/tea/hot chocolate in the living room. I particularly enjoyed the pinot grigio they served at wine hour.
Be prepared for bold decor the likes of which I have never seen at any Kimpton and I have stayed at several! We were placed in a parkview queen queen room with great views of Independence Hall. I loved the spacious bathroom with its navy and white wallpaper and the beds were super comfortable.
We enjoyed walking to dining and shoppping, as well as site seeing from the Old City location. On gameday (Saturday), we did experience an excessively long wait for our car to be retrieved by the valet; however, the staff did the right thing and comped the parking for our inconvenience. Should you use the valet parking service, I might suggest calling down for your car in advance.
Sean, doorman, was always at the ready and greeted us with a gorgeous smile and good conversation every time we saw him. Brian, concierge, was warm and pleasant and spot on with dining recommendations which suited our preferences. These included Panorama, fork etc, and Taluah's Garden. The front desk staff also provided true Kimpton service each time we had a request or question. John, Guest Services Manager, was very receptive to my feedback suggesting the need for towel/robe hooks in the bathroom for hanging items up after use. I hope to see this suggestion implemented.
As a new Inner Circle member, I look forward to the surprises that await on my next visit to the Monaco Philly.

Room Tip: Corner room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Wonderful and glamourous hotel. Very chic and contemporary!! From the time we pulled up we were greeted by nice looking men! The hospitality of the staff was excellent. Roshid took care of us and made sure we were pleasantly pleased with our stay. We requested an early check in, when we arrived our room wasn't ready. We were given two complimentary glasses of wine for the inconvenience. There were two problems that I had with the hotel: the amount to park $40 and the water pressure in the shower/sink. Overall, great experience!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We just stayed at Hotel Monaco in Philly and loved it. We were there for the annual Army-Navy football classic and wanted a hip and somewhat upscale experience. The Hotel Monaco delivered! From the helpful staff on the phone before arrival to the smiling doorman, to the efficient check in, to the room, to the experience while there, to the food in the Red Owl Tavern, to the umbrella carrying doorman as he put us in a taxi for our ride to the airport as it was raining. The place really is well run and top notch. The venue is literally across the street from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell, so while you are looking for extra things to do, you are 100 yards from history. And if you walk 1 block you can catch the subway anywhere you need to go ... Made getting to the game super easy.

Thanks to the great staff at The Hotel Monaco ... My team lost the game yesterday, but you guys have gained clients for a long time. Can't wait to do it again ...soon!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New Haven, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Our whole family loved the new Hotel Monaco Philadelphia. Unfortunately, we could only stay one night before having to move to a thoroughly pedestrian hotel in Philly for a work holiday party; what a difference! Our "park queen queen" room had a totally fab decor and a great view of Independence Hall (and park) and the Liberty Bell. The staff could not be friendlier or more helpful. After 24 hours of being greeted and welcomed every time we entered the hotel, it was a stark contrast to check into a more typical hotel and get a more typically indifferent treatment. The Red Owl Restaurant looked very cool, but our family has never been in Philly together before, so we felt compelled to walk a few blocks to go out to dinner and found a great comfort food restaurant very nearby called Jones. Our kids loved our room,, with cool lamps that respond to touch, bold carpet and wallpaper patterns, and a copy of Alice in Wonderland, of which our daughter read the first few chapters. Special kudos to Rashid, the bellman, who dealt with our unusually copious luggage and tried to track down a package that Fedex failed to deliver. It was only when we (very, very reluctantly) checked out that I learned that the hotel had only been open for two months; it was such a well-oiled machine that i would have never guessed. I know exactly where i will be staying the next time i'm in Philadelphia -- definitely the Hotel Monaco.

Room Tip: The "park view" rooms are worth the extra cost. So nice to be in the middle of a city and...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Herndon, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Exceptionally nice, two month old boutique hotel, part of the Kimpton chain. Very interesting, eclectic decor throughout the public areas of the hotel, from the main lobby (with a nice functioning fireplace) to the individual floor elevator lobbys to the elevators themselves. The hotel is a half block away from the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall - an amazing location for historic sight seeing. Very easy, convenient subway ride from the 30th Street Train station via the Market-Frankford Line; $2.00 in exact change or bills, exiting at the 5th Street Station.

The sleeping rooms are an interesting mix of Alice in Wonderland and the Liberty Bell, with bright, vibrant colors, quotes, and designs on the walls and carpet. Very modern, upscale furnishings and decor. I asked for and got a room on a high floor (8) away from the elevators, and it was very quiet all night long. One downside was the size of my room... it was fine for me, but I suspect it would be pretty tight for more than one person. Another negative is there's no coffee maker in the room, but this seems to be pretty standard for the Kimpton chain... there was free coffee service in the lobby in the morning (but I would rather not have to go get it). Also, as more and more places seem to be doing, there was no bill/receipt under the door in the morning, so I had to go to the front desk to check out. I'd prefer not to have to do that.

All staff I encountered, from the front desk to room service, were exceptionally nice, and very competent. For example, upon arrival I just missed the free wine tasting, so the front desk clerk asked (unsolicited) if I'd like to take a glass of wine up to my room.

Room service for dinner from the Red Owl Tavern was good. I had the St. Louis Baby Back Ribs, Roasted Potato Gratin, and Grilled Asparagus.

I would be happy to stay at the Monaco again. I was able to take advantage of an introductory e-mail offer this time; not sure what kinds of rates they charge normally. This is a very nice place.

NOTE - I saw maybe one person my age or older there (I'm 58 years old). This Monaco definitely seems to attract a younger, upscale crowd. It wasn't a problem in terms of noise... I just felt a bit out of place in my business suit.

Room Tip: High floor away from the elevators.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sean F, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Dear Brian_NVA,

Thank you so much for choosing the Hotel Monaco on your recent trip to the City of Brotherly Love! Happy to see that you enjoyed your visit with us. I did take note of your comment about the coffee makers. Although we don’t have them in the rooms we do have them available upon request. Next time you come and visit, be sure to ask for a coffee maker and we will have on sent right up!

Hope to see you again soon.

Cheers,
Sean Flanigan

Been to Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!