“outstanding stay in Philadelphia” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   433 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Parking Package
Ranked #2 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“outstanding stay in Philadelphia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Monaco is the place where you want to be when you visit beautiful Philadelphia. Their super friendly staffs made me feel at home from the very moment I walked into the lobby. Everyone (and I say everyone) I ran into, from the doorman (James) to the front desk managers (Rob and Jonathan) and the concierge (Nasser) had smiles on their faces. I went up to my room and found another very pleasant surprise. A lovely welcome note from Casey in Guest Management was waiting for me on my desk. What a way to end a crazy day and a two hour car ride in foggy and rainy weather. And by the way, the hotel is just stunning from the sumptuous and charming lobby to the splendidly decorated guest rooms; I adore Kimpton because they love to please and pamper their guests and always go out of their way to exceed your expectations. I travel a lot and stay in many beautiful hotels around the world but Kimpton will always have a very special place in my heart. Thank you Rob, Jonathan, Nasser, James, Casey and all the staff at the Monaco for my wonderful stay and for making me feel so special. Keep raising the bar for the rest of the industry because they still have a lot to learn from you. Outstanding job and once again, thank you Monaco and Kimpton! Have a wonderful Holiday Season!
F C

Room Tip: I am sure all rooms are spectacular but if you can get one with a view of Independence Hall go for i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

1,099 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Turkish first
Colorado Springs CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We spent three nights at the Monaco while in town for the Army Navy game. Let's just say they had me at the absolutely stunning ship chandelier displayed above the entrance! Seemed only fitting for a NAVY win.
We enjoyed socializing with fellow fans during the evening wine hour and morning coffee/tea/hot chocolate in the living room. I particularly enjoyed the pinot grigio they served at wine hour.
Be prepared for bold decor the likes of which I have never seen at any Kimpton and I have stayed at several! We were placed in a parkview queen queen room with great views of Independence Hall. I loved the spacious bathroom with its navy and white wallpaper and the beds were super comfortable.
We enjoyed walking to dining and shoppping, as well as site seeing from the Old City location. On gameday (Saturday), we did experience an excessively long wait for our car to be retrieved by the valet; however, the staff did the right thing and comped the parking for our inconvenience. Should you use the valet parking service, I might suggest calling down for your car in advance.
Sean, doorman, was always at the ready and greeted us with a gorgeous smile and good conversation every time we saw him. Brian, concierge, was warm and pleasant and spot on with dining recommendations which suited our preferences. These included Panorama, fork etc, and Taluah's Garden. The front desk staff also provided true Kimpton service each time we had a request or question. John, Guest Services Manager, was very receptive to my feedback suggesting the need for towel/robe hooks in the bathroom for hanging items up after use. I hope to see this suggestion implemented.
As a new Inner Circle member, I look forward to the surprises that await on my next visit to the Monaco Philly.

Room Tip: Corner room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Wonderful and glamourous hotel. Very chic and contemporary!! From the time we pulled up we were greeted by nice looking men! The hospitality of the staff was excellent. Roshid took care of us and made sure we were pleasantly pleased with our stay. We requested an early check in, when we arrived our room wasn't ready. We were given two complimentary glasses of wine for the inconvenience. There were two problems that I had with the hotel: the amount to park $40 and the water pressure in the shower/sink. Overall, great experience!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We just stayed at Hotel Monaco in Philly and loved it. We were there for the annual Army-Navy football classic and wanted a hip and somewhat upscale experience. The Hotel Monaco delivered! From the helpful staff on the phone before arrival to the smiling doorman, to the efficient check in, to the room, to the experience while there, to the food in the Red Owl Tavern, to the umbrella carrying doorman as he put us in a taxi for our ride to the airport as it was raining. The place really is well run and top notch. The venue is literally across the street from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell, so while you are looking for extra things to do, you are 100 yards from history. And if you walk 1 block you can catch the subway anywhere you need to go ... Made getting to the game super easy.

Thanks to the great staff at The Hotel Monaco ... My team lost the game yesterday, but you guys have gained clients for a long time. Can't wait to do it again ...soon!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New Haven, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Our whole family loved the new Hotel Monaco Philadelphia. Unfortunately, we could only stay one night before having to move to a thoroughly pedestrian hotel in Philly for a work holiday party; what a difference! Our "park queen queen" room had a totally fab decor and a great view of Independence Hall (and park) and the Liberty Bell. The staff could not be friendlier or more helpful. After 24 hours of being greeted and welcomed every time we entered the hotel, it was a stark contrast to check into a more typical hotel and get a more typically indifferent treatment. The Red Owl Restaurant looked very cool, but our family has never been in Philly together before, so we felt compelled to walk a few blocks to go out to dinner and found a great comfort food restaurant very nearby called Jones. Our kids loved our room,, with cool lamps that respond to touch, bold carpet and wallpaper patterns, and a copy of Alice in Wonderland, of which our daughter read the first few chapters. Special kudos to Rashid, the bellman, who dealt with our unusually copious luggage and tried to track down a package that Fedex failed to deliver. It was only when we (very, very reluctantly) checked out that I learned that the hotel had only been open for two months; it was such a well-oiled machine that i would have never guessed. I know exactly where i will be staying the next time i'm in Philadelphia -- definitely the Hotel Monaco.

Room Tip: The "park view" rooms are worth the extra cost. So nice to be in the middle of a city and...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Herndon, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Exceptionally nice, two month old boutique hotel, part of the Kimpton chain. Very interesting, eclectic decor throughout the public areas of the hotel, from the main lobby (with a nice functioning fireplace) to the individual floor elevator lobbys to the elevators themselves. The hotel is a half block away from the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall - an amazing location for historic sight seeing. Very easy, convenient subway ride from the 30th Street Train station via the Market-Frankford Line; $2.00 in exact change or bills, exiting at the 5th Street Station.

The sleeping rooms are an interesting mix of Alice in Wonderland and the Liberty Bell, with bright, vibrant colors, quotes, and designs on the walls and carpet. Very modern, upscale furnishings and decor. I asked for and got a room on a high floor (8) away from the elevators, and it was very quiet all night long. One downside was the size of my room... it was fine for me, but I suspect it would be pretty tight for more than one person. Another negative is there's no coffee maker in the room, but this seems to be pretty standard for the Kimpton chain... there was free coffee service in the lobby in the morning (but I would rather not have to go get it). Also, as more and more places seem to be doing, there was no bill/receipt under the door in the morning, so I had to go to the front desk to check out. I'd prefer not to have to do that.

All staff I encountered, from the front desk to room service, were exceptionally nice, and very competent. For example, upon arrival I just missed the free wine tasting, so the front desk clerk asked (unsolicited) if I'd like to take a glass of wine up to my room.

Room service for dinner from the Red Owl Tavern was good. I had the St. Louis Baby Back Ribs, Roasted Potato Gratin, and Grilled Asparagus.

I would be happy to stay at the Monaco again. I was able to take advantage of an introductory e-mail offer this time; not sure what kinds of rates they charge normally. This is a very nice place.

NOTE - I saw maybe one person my age or older there (I'm 58 years old). This Monaco definitely seems to attract a younger, upscale crowd. It wasn't a problem in terms of noise... I just felt a bit out of place in my business suit.

Room Tip: High floor away from the elevators.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sean F, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Dear Brian_NVA,

Thank you so much for choosing the Hotel Monaco on your recent trip to the City of Brotherly Love! Happy to see that you enjoyed your visit with us. I did take note of your comment about the coffee makers. Although we don’t have them in the rooms we do have them available upon request. Next time you come and visit, be sure to ask for a coffee maker and we will have on sent right up!

Hope to see you again soon.

Cheers,
Sean Flanigan
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

Another great Kimpton hotel has landed on the best piece of real estate in Philadelphia. Hotel Monaco, like its counterpart in Portland and other cities, is a quirky, modern hotel that feels boutique-y but has the perks of a chain. The bold, contemporary (I'd even say loud) decor of this PA location may not be your personal taste, but it's perfect to enjoy for a night or two. Before you go, sign up as a Kimpton rewards member and you'll get a mild room upgrade, free wifi and $10 off anything you want from the minibar. Rooms were small compared to the big suites I've stayed in at other Monaco's, but enough room to get work done or relax.

Now lets talk about the location. Amazing! Literally across the street from Independence hall and the Liberty Bell, along with all the other great historic sites, Monaco is your chic, modern home base to your walk through time. And you've got great restaurants within walking distance as well, including Buddakan a block away.

Bottom line - if you like contemporary decor, attentive staff and little perks - all combined with a prime location, don't pass this hotel up.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sean F, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Jim H,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments! Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we get the chance to see you soon.

Don’t be a stranger!

Cheers,

Sean Flanigan
Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!