“More Like 4.5 Stars...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   433 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Book Early And Save
Ranked #1 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Herndon, Virginia
“More Like 4.5 Stars...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Exceptionally nice, two month old boutique hotel, part of the Kimpton chain. Very interesting, eclectic decor throughout the public areas of the hotel, from the main lobby (with a nice functioning fireplace) to the individual floor elevator lobbys to the elevators themselves. The hotel is a half block away from the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall - an amazing location for historic sight seeing. Very easy, convenient subway ride from the 30th Street Train station via the Market-Frankford Line; $2.00 in exact change or bills, exiting at the 5th Street Station.

The sleeping rooms are an interesting mix of Alice in Wonderland and the Liberty Bell, with bright, vibrant colors, quotes, and designs on the walls and carpet. Very modern, upscale furnishings and decor. I asked for and got a room on a high floor (8) away from the elevators, and it was very quiet all night long. One downside was the size of my room... it was fine for me, but I suspect it would be pretty tight for more than one person. Another negative is there's no coffee maker in the room, but this seems to be pretty standard for the Kimpton chain... there was free coffee service in the lobby in the morning (but I would rather not have to go get it). Also, as more and more places seem to be doing, there was no bill/receipt under the door in the morning, so I had to go to the front desk to check out. I'd prefer not to have to do that.

All staff I encountered, from the front desk to room service, were exceptionally nice, and very competent. For example, upon arrival I just missed the free wine tasting, so the front desk clerk asked (unsolicited) if I'd like to take a glass of wine up to my room.

Room service for dinner from the Red Owl Tavern was good. I had the St. Louis Baby Back Ribs, Roasted Potato Gratin, and Grilled Asparagus.

I would be happy to stay at the Monaco again. I was able to take advantage of an introductory e-mail offer this time; not sure what kinds of rates they charge normally. This is a very nice place.

NOTE - I saw maybe one person my age or older there (I'm 58 years old). This Monaco definitely seems to attract a younger, upscale crowd. It wasn't a problem in terms of noise... I just felt a bit out of place in my business suit.

Room Tip: High floor away from the elevators.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sean F, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Dear Brian_NVA,

Thank you so much for choosing the Hotel Monaco on your recent trip to the City of Brotherly Love! Happy to see that you enjoyed your visit with us. I did take note of your comment about the coffee makers. Although we don’t have them in the rooms we do have them available upon request. Next time you come and visit, be sure to ask for a coffee maker and we will have on sent right up!

Hope to see you again soon.

Sean Flanigan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Turkish first
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

Another great Kimpton hotel has landed on the best piece of real estate in Philadelphia. Hotel Monaco, like its counterpart in Portland and other cities, is a quirky, modern hotel that feels boutique-y but has the perks of a chain. The bold, contemporary (I'd even say loud) decor of this PA location may not be your personal taste, but it's perfect to enjoy for a night or two. Before you go, sign up as a Kimpton rewards member and you'll get a mild room upgrade, free wifi and $10 off anything you want from the minibar. Rooms were small compared to the big suites I've stayed in at other Monaco's, but enough room to get work done or relax.

Now lets talk about the location. Amazing! Literally across the street from Independence hall and the Liberty Bell, along with all the other great historic sites, Monaco is your chic, modern home base to your walk through time. And you've got great restaurants within walking distance as well, including Buddakan a block away.

Bottom line - if you like contemporary decor, attentive staff and little perks - all combined with a prime location, don't pass this hotel up.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sean F, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Jim H,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments! Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we get the chance to see you soon.

Don’t be a stranger!

old forge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Beautifully designed hotel. Swarovski lobby chandelier, winding hall to living rm with fireplace and multi sitting areas with comfortable inviting vibe. Don't miss the complementary wine nightly. The room is beautifully furnished. Nice bar choices and cute rocky robe. Red owl tavern quaint and so is rooftop bar. Love this new boutique hotel overlooking independence park! Shout outs to bell staff... especially James and Shawn...really nice accommodating guys! It's the real deal here! Will be back!

Room Tip: Independence park view upgrade not much more$ and worth it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello Ofdevils,

Happy to hear you have a great stay with us! James and Shawn are both fantastic guys and it is terrific to see that you had the chance to connect with them and create a memorable experience for you.

Come back and visit us again soon!

fairfield county
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This new hotel is very fresh and clean with the usual amazingly helpful Kimpton staff who did all they could to make our weekend stay special. The free wine reception featured excellent wines and the event was well attended in the trendy and beautifully appointed living room. The roof bar is so popular there are red ropes outside to hold those waiting to enter. We didn't check out that scene but surmise it is quite popular. Our room had a park view which was nothing special, but at least we weren't looking out on another building or the courtyard which sounded rather bleak from the description given during our booking. Valet parking is $40/night, but we used a local garage about 2 blocks away and it was $18/day (but no in and out privileges). The beds and pillows are fantastic and the bathroom has a nice long counter so we can all put our cosmetics out without crowding. Our 8th floor room meant we could hear, not too distinctly, the music from the 10th floor bar. Don't stay on the 9th floor unless you like to party! Great location for historic district (Liberty Bell, Independence Hall) and great restaurants, as well as metro stop.

Room Tip: don't go above 8th floor to avoid bar noise, and 7th floor would be safer choice. Nice to overlo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear EJ,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to the City of Brotherly Love! Happy to see you enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best,

Highlands, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I started by making an on-line reservation telling the hotel I would be celebrating my birthday and that I liked purple flowers - that was the beginning of a wonderful experience. When I arrived at the hotel a few hours later, Nassir checked me in and he was amazing. Darnell was fabulous as he chauffeured me through the beautiful lobby up to the 8th floor where I was pleasantly surprised; there was a birthday card signed by the employees, my favorite purple flowers, and fruit. Rashid personally came back with a slice of chocolate birthday cake that was delicious. I took a walk up to the Stratus and then back down to the lobby -- I honestly did not want to leave the property it was so beautiful. Who gets a copy of Alice and Wonderland in their room with peacocks watching over their bed and panoramic views of Philadelphia all in one package? The checkout experience was over the top with a personalized birthday CD from Rashid who made this birthday special and is an asset to the Monaco. This is a "must see" and "must stay" property. Thank you to the entire staff for making my birthday special which I celebrate all month - so I probably will see you again. You can find more pictures on my travel blog jdrolle.blogspot.com Sincerely, Dr. J. D. Rolle

Room Tip: The Parkview room was definitely an added value to the experience
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the hotel over the Thanksgiving holiday and were wowed! I had booked even before the hotel was open and got a great rate, but frankly the level of service we experienced made me feel like we should have been paying at least twice what we did. The rooms are new and neat (we had two adjoining rooms). The real superstar of this hotel, however is the staff. Like many of the other reviewers, I had excellent service with every employee I encountered, from the front desk to housekeeping. The doormen ("T", Darnell (I hope that is his name..I have a terrible memory) and the other gentlemen) made us feel like VIPs recognizing us coming up the street and always grabbing the door, and even when I left the hotel at 4:30am there was a doorman outside, grabbing my taxi and wishing me a safe flight home. Kimpton hotels has a convert in me! I will not hesitate to return or recommend it to anyone. Simply fabulous

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sean F, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Stasi74,

Happy to hear that you had a fantastic visit! T and Darnell are true assets to this hotel and I will be sure to thank them for a job well done.

Come back and see us again soon!

Director of Making Our Guests Feel Like VIP's
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

We decided to add a couple of days to a NYC trip and saw that Kimpton had a new property in Philadelphia. We are big supporters of HRC and so are they so the choice was easy. From check in to check out the staff was fabulous. They upgraded us to a room with a view of Constitution Hall and made great suggestions for all of our meals. Don't miss the rooftop bar and lounges where we enjoyed meeting other guests. This is a beautiful hotel and the staff really understand hospitality and customer focused service.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Keith D,

That’s wonderful to hear that you had a great stay with us! Thank you for sharing your experience and I appreciate the kind words about the team and the property.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Happy Holidays,

Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!