“New chic in old town” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   433 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Early & Save 10%
Ranked #1 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York
“New chic in old town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

Another great Kimpton hotel has landed on the best piece of real estate in Philadelphia. Hotel Monaco, like its counterpart in Portland and other cities, is a quirky, modern hotel that feels boutique-y but has the perks of a chain. The bold, contemporary (I'd even say loud) decor of this PA location may not be your personal taste, but it's perfect to enjoy for a night or two. Before you go, sign up as a Kimpton rewards member and you'll get a mild room upgrade, free wifi and $10 off anything you want from the minibar. Rooms were small compared to the big suites I've stayed in at other Monaco's, but enough room to get work done or relax.

Now lets talk about the location. Amazing! Literally across the street from Independence hall and the Liberty Bell, along with all the other great historic sites, Monaco is your chic, modern home base to your walk through time. And you've got great restaurants within walking distance as well, including Buddakan a block away.

Bottom line - if you like contemporary decor, attentive staff and little perks - all combined with a prime location, don't pass this hotel up.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sean F, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Jim H,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments! Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we get the chance to see you soon.

Don’t be a stranger!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Turkish first
old forge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Beautifully designed hotel. Swarovski lobby chandelier, winding hall to living rm with fireplace and multi sitting areas with comfortable inviting vibe. Don't miss the complementary wine nightly. The room is beautifully furnished. Nice bar choices and cute rocky robe. Red owl tavern quaint and so is rooftop bar. Love this new boutique hotel overlooking independence park! Shout outs to bell staff... especially James and Shawn...really nice accommodating guys! It's the real deal here! Will be back!

Room Tip: Independence park view upgrade not much more$ and worth it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello Ofdevils,

Happy to hear you have a great stay with us! James and Shawn are both fantastic guys and it is terrific to see that you had the chance to connect with them and create a memorable experience for you.

Come back and visit us again soon!

fairfield county
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This new hotel is very fresh and clean with the usual amazingly helpful Kimpton staff who did all they could to make our weekend stay special. The free wine reception featured excellent wines and the event was well attended in the trendy and beautifully appointed living room. The roof bar is so popular there are red ropes outside to hold those waiting to enter. We didn't check out that scene but surmise it is quite popular. Our room had a park view which was nothing special, but at least we weren't looking out on another building or the courtyard which sounded rather bleak from the description given during our booking. Valet parking is $40/night, but we used a local garage about 2 blocks away and it was $18/day (but no in and out privileges). The beds and pillows are fantastic and the bathroom has a nice long counter so we can all put our cosmetics out without crowding. Our 8th floor room meant we could hear, not too distinctly, the music from the 10th floor bar. Don't stay on the 9th floor unless you like to party! Great location for historic district (Liberty Bell, Independence Hall) and great restaurants, as well as metro stop.

Room Tip: don't go above 8th floor to avoid bar noise, and 7th floor would be safer choice. Nice to overlo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear EJ,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to the City of Brotherly Love! Happy to see you enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best,

Highlands, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I started by making an on-line reservation telling the hotel I would be celebrating my birthday and that I liked purple flowers - that was the beginning of a wonderful experience. When I arrived at the hotel a few hours later, Nassir checked me in and he was amazing. Darnell was fabulous as he chauffeured me through the beautiful lobby up to the 8th floor where I was pleasantly surprised; there was a birthday card signed by the employees, my favorite purple flowers, and fruit. Rashid personally came back with a slice of chocolate birthday cake that was delicious. I took a walk up to the Stratus and then back down to the lobby -- I honestly did not want to leave the property it was so beautiful. Who gets a copy of Alice and Wonderland in their room with peacocks watching over their bed and panoramic views of Philadelphia all in one package? The checkout experience was over the top with a personalized birthday CD from Rashid who made this birthday special and is an asset to the Monaco. This is a "must see" and "must stay" property. Thank you to the entire staff for making my birthday special which I celebrate all month - so I probably will see you again. You can find more pictures on my travel blog jdrolle.blogspot.com Sincerely, Dr. J. D. Rolle

Room Tip: The Parkview room was definitely an added value to the experience
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the hotel over the Thanksgiving holiday and were wowed! I had booked even before the hotel was open and got a great rate, but frankly the level of service we experienced made me feel like we should have been paying at least twice what we did. The rooms are new and neat (we had two adjoining rooms). The real superstar of this hotel, however is the staff. Like many of the other reviewers, I had excellent service with every employee I encountered, from the front desk to housekeeping. The doormen ("T", Darnell (I hope that is his name..I have a terrible memory) and the other gentlemen) made us feel like VIPs recognizing us coming up the street and always grabbing the door, and even when I left the hotel at 4:30am there was a doorman outside, grabbing my taxi and wishing me a safe flight home. Kimpton hotels has a convert in me! I will not hesitate to return or recommend it to anyone. Simply fabulous

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sean F, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Stasi74,

Happy to hear that you had a fantastic visit! T and Darnell are true assets to this hotel and I will be sure to thank them for a job well done.

Come back and see us again soon!

Director of Making Our Guests Feel Like VIP's
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We decided to add a couple of days to a NYC trip and saw that Kimpton had a new property in Philadelphia. We are big supporters of HRC and so are they so the choice was easy. From check in to check out the staff was fabulous. They upgraded us to a room with a view of Constitution Hall and made great suggestions for all of our meals. Don't miss the rooftop bar and lounges where we enjoyed meeting other guests. This is a beautiful hotel and the staff really understand hospitality and customer focused service.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Keith D,

That’s wonderful to hear that you had a great stay with us! Thank you for sharing your experience and I appreciate the kind words about the team and the property.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Happy Holidays,

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just returned from my birthday trip to Philly and am really disappointed in Hotel Monaco.

Here are my thoughts:

Positive:
-Beautiful, new, clean hotel. The styling is fresh and quirky.
-Room service was quick and delish! We had chicken pot pie and bone marrow, both were top.
-Check-out was seamless and the 12pm check-out time is amazing.

Negative:
-When we arrived via taxi a Hotel Monaco employee opened our taxi door and proceeded to watch us get our luggage out of the taxi. There were five additional Hotel Monaco employees in front of the hotel and they all watched my mother and I struggle with our luggage. Furthermore, no one said hello or directed us to the lobby.  They seemed way more interested in servicing a Bentley that pulled in behind us...
-This was not an isolated incident. Every time we would leave or enter the hotel, it was a boys club of Hotel Monaco employees we had to politely ask to move to the side so we could get through.  Sometimes doors were opened for us but most of the time they weren't.
-Before a bday dinner at Amada, we swung by Red Owl for drinks. Unfortunately, after waiting for twenty five minutes to get the attention of the bartender we left and went to Buddhakan for cocktails.
-My massage was decent but the cd kept skipping and it was hard to relax when the masseuse had to repeatedly attend to the music.
-The last straw was when we asked for a taxi and were directed to a Lincoln town car.  The driver was clearly hoarding fast food in the front seat and he kept belching as the bellhop actually opened the door for us.  The smell that wafted out of that car was insane and I'm from NY and take the subway everyday.lol The driver kept telling me he knew seedy places if I was interested and he could drive me to NY .  Very scary.  Put me in a Philly taxi or be able to vouch for this random town car.

Overall, a lot of the Hotel Monaco employees seemed more focused on the rooftop lounge than the guests. Additionally, many stood around without offering us any help.

It makes me sad that we had such a horrible experience because the hotel is beautiful and the location is amazing. I've read a ton of the reviews and most say the service is great, hoping this was just a bad weekend.  I have to return to Philly at the end of the month and will definitely stay at the Sofitel.  Not taking any chances.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sean F, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Nique_NY,

I am terribly sorry to read about your recent stay with us. If you would be so kind to contact me directly at 267-386-9462 or at sean.flanigan@hotelmonaco.com it would be greatly appreciated.

Please know I will be addressing the problems you experienced with the appropriate departments to ensure this doesn’t happen in the future.

Again my deepest apologies, and thank you for the feedback.

Warm Regards,

Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!