“Glorious Philadelphia Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   433 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Book Early & Save 10%
Ranked #1 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Istanbul, Turkey
“Glorious Philadelphia Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Spent a weekend here the first week they opened. I can't say enough about the level of service at the hotel as well as the tremendous value. I am a big fan of Kimpton properties and this is a great addition to their collection of creative and comfortable hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sean F, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear Bzist,

Thank you, Kimpton & Monaco is even a bigger fan of you! Love your loyalty and we hope to welcome you back soon.

BZist #1 Fan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (550)
  • Turkish first
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and enjoyed it very much. The decor and ambiance is fun and a refreshing change from the big chains. The location is right across the street from independence hall and the liberty bell. Service was excellent and professional. Thanks for the great stay!

• Stayed November 2012
Hi DaveB4940,

Happy to hear you had a great visit! We are sad to see you go, hopefully next time we can have you stay with us longer!

Come back again soon.

Best,

Washington,dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This fabulous new Kimpton property is not to be missed. It is chockfull of creative and beautiful style.Enthusiastic staff and a fabulous good-sized fitness room. Rooms are lovely and hotels has all those nice "extra" Kimpton perks! Did not eat in the restaurant-- but looks totally cool!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello LOveOneanOther,

What a great review! Thank you for all the kind comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Director of Hip and Stylish Hotels
Royersford, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Overall, this is a very nice hotel. Staff was nice, Valet was decent (brought the wrong car out the first time we called for it), and the food was good at Red Owl and room service.

Two complaints though....

1: King size beds...not very comfortable. I thought for the price of the rooms, the beds would be very nice. But was very dissapointed in them. Tossed and turned the first night and the second night woke up with a sore back. That might just be me though...

2: I booked a 'Parkview King' room expecting a "overlook Independence Historic National Park" as advertised. Instead I got a view of the building next door. If you looked out the window and turned your head completely 90 degrees to the left you could see this "overlook Independence Historic National Park," as promised. Very Very dissapointed. Felt a little ripped off, should of booked the King Deluxe room and saved money, the view would of been the same. (We were in Room 1019, by the way)

Everything else was pretty good, great location. Everything is within walking distance. Overall, I'd say its a good hotel, but just came up well short of what I was expecting when I booked it/what I paid for it.

Room Tip: Be careful of the Parkview King room, ours didn't have a view as promised.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mark M,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. I am sorry to hear the bed and the view was not to your liking.

On your next trip please feel free to contact me directly at sean.flanigan@hotelmonaco.com so that we can ensure you get the right view!

Best Regards,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

We have only stayed once at a Kimpton hotel - Hotel Madeira in DC. We enjoyed it, and decided to give the new Hotel Monaco a try while visiting Philly. Our stay was wonderful - clean rooms, friendly staff, and a great location right by the Liberty Bell.

There are a multitude of great places to eat and relax nearby - we liked Amada, Chifa, and Zento. (Morimoto is nearby as well, but we had our little one with us and she's not into sushi... yet.)

If you want the Art museum, it's just a short cab ($10), bus, or subway ride away - not a deterrent or inconvenient, and there are so many great historical museums and parks right next to the hotel, you will have plenty to do!

No complaints about our stay - we even signed up for their frequent traveler program because of our stay - and you get complimentary wifi access just for doing that!!! Cheers!

• Stayed November 2012
Sean F, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Alexdavit3,

Thanks for choosing Hotel Monaco on your recent trip to the City of Brotherly Love! Welcome to the Kimpton In Touch family.

Hope to see you again soon.

Lancaster, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Booked a room weeks in advance for a wedding on 11-10-12. Check-in was at 3pm. At 4:15 when I tried to check-in I was told my room was not ready (the whole lobby was full of upset customers waiting for rooms). They couldn't tell me when it would be ready, just that they were working on it. We were given vouchers for free drinks at the hotel owned bar next door, however, the bar did not open till 5pm so we were stuck sitting in the lobby. I was tired and hungry and had nowhere to relax!
At around 5pm we got our room. It was a cold 65 degrees inside the room. Ordered room service (chicken sandwich). We were promised it would be less than 30 mins for the food to come. 45 mins later it showed up. At least they offered to comp it.
The glass side on the open shower was too short, but since the water pressure was so weak the puddle didn't get too big.
The next morning at check out I voiced my concerns to a manager who offered to take $50 off the bill.
Nice location, but I'd think long and hard before I'd stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
SeanFlanigan, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Spitfi-r,

I am terribly sorry to hear about the problems you experienced. I hope you received the email I sent out to you today. If you would be so kind to contact me directly at sean.flanigan@hotelmonaco.com or call me at 267-386-9462 it would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

My second stay here; previously visited about a week after opening. As a longtime Kimpton Inner Circle member, I was familiar with and looking forward to seeing how the Monaco met the IC "experience". I was pleased with almost everything....the welcome "home" was warm and friendly, wine hour was well attended and appreciated, the rooms were over-the-top awesome, all staff members went out of their way to be helpful. The bed was SO comfortable...and the bathtub in the shower has to be seen to be believed! The Kimpton hotel experience met all expectations...and all staff were exceptionally trained and prepared to assist.

The adaptive reuse of an old office building is amazing. The use of high end materials, finishes, hardware, furniture is unbelievable. I spent wine hour in the "living room" just checking out the myriad of decorating details....oversized armoires, paint brush(s) backdrop to check-in desks, the cool assembly of varied seating...all wonderful just to stare at! Same with the rooms; large patterned carpet, yellow doors, red lacquered drawers, poodle lamp, other oversized lamps, sweatshirt robe....all eclectic and stand alone, yet pulls together to approach sensory delight!

The only drawback was room service...on both stays, room delivery was slow and orders incomplete. A call to the front desk helped resolve issues, and on one occasion the meal was comped....but it is apparent there is a learning curve that needs to be completed. I certainly plan on coming back...and I know the Red Owl tavern will figure it out....so I look forward to the "best-in-class" Kimpton experience!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear MarkDonaldson,

Thank you for the personal email and the wonderful review! I am thrilled to hear about how great your experience with us and Kimpton has been. I personally commit to ensure we improve the In Room Dining experience. Thank you again for the kind words and the feedback.

Look forward to welcoming you back.