“Spectacular!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   433 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Book Early And Save
Ranked #2 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Payson, Arizona
“Spectacular!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night (Fri., Nov.2) soon after it opened, and didn't want to leave! The decor is modern, colorful, fanciful and takes you into another world. On walking into the lobby for a drink, we saw quite a heart-warming scene...well-behaved dogs of every shape and size, and children with their parents. We had room 317 which had a city view. Everything in the room was spotless and new, and it was outfitted with beautiful linens, a large bathroom with a pocket door, Etro toiletries, and enough drawer and closet space. The bed had loads of linens and pillows, and the book "Alice in Wonderland" was even on the shelf next to the bed. I even loved reading the literary quotes that were inside the closet. You can't beat the location which is literally across the street from Independence Hall. On Saturday morning, we took the very interesting tour (the next night, there was a story on 60 Minutes about it) and the docent was fabulous! I plan to come back, and next time stay a few days, try the restaurant and soak in the very cool atmosphere!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SeanFlanigan, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear SophieBlue09,

I can't thank you enough for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to the City of Brotherly Love! The Alice and Wonderland book and the quotes in the closet are some of many ways to bring out the playfulness of what Monaco and Kimpton are all about; glad to see you enjoyed it.

Can’t wait to welcome you back!

Best,

VP of Playfulness

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Turkish first
Marlboro, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Hotel Monaco in Philadelphia had just opened the week I was there. The staff was very attentive. The hotel is in the old city, convenient to many historic sites. I arrived early but my room was ready. The decor is bright and a bit "busy" at the 'boutique' hotel--loved the pocket doors for the bathroom.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
SeanFlanigan, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Hi Dengaro,

Thank you for staying us on your recent trip to the City of Brotherly Love! Happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel and the pocket doors.

Come back soon!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Hotel Monaco is so awesome - it's really cool and trendy, which is fun - but moreover, it is very clean, and the bed is comfortable. THE BED IS COMFORTABLE! Slept like a queen. It's a great location if you're touring old city and the staff was wonderful. You MUST give it a shot. I found the price to be reasonable. The ONLY complaint I had was around the shower. It was a bit cold....it's one of those 'open shower stalls'. It's cleaner than most hotels (albeit it's new) and I loved that - but that was my only real complaint.
Wonderful - will go back. Definitely!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sean F, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear CoPhilly,

Thank you very much for staying with us! That’s great to hear you slept like a queen and enjoyed your stay.

Please come see us again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was a great hotel. The staff for the most part was very friendly.
I came here for a girls weekend. It happened to fall the weekend after Hurricane Sandy and the Hotel was at full capacity I was told. When we arrived at 5:30pm we were told our rooms would not be ready till 6pm. This was shocking since check in was 3:00pm. This upset me but they said we could have two extra hours on our check out day.
We came as a girls weekend and booked our rooms together but they could not put us together. We had one room on the 2nd floor and one on the 9th. DO NOT GET A ROOM ON THE 9th FLOOR. THERE ARE MAJOR MOISTURE ISSUES. I would not be surprised if there is mold. There was condensation on the windows and it created a strange odor. We had the night manager come and he said he could not smell what we smelt. He sent up a de-humidifier and the man that delivered the dehumidifier informed us that other rooms on this floor had issues and that the construction of this building there was a hurricane and moisture got in the walls. I don't know what the real issue is, but it was unnerving.
Rasheed was great with out luggage. "T" or "D" at the front door was amazing. The decor of the building was great. The ambiance was amazing. The happy hour was great - free wine from 5-6pm. Front desk was very responsive and helpful. We had an amazing girls weekend when we weren't inhaling the weird smells of the room.

Room Tip: Again - do not get a room on the 9th floor. I would give Excellent on all accounts if it wasn'...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Ashyo7,

Happy to see that overall you and your girl friends had a great time! However, I am terribly sorry to read about the problems you had with one of your rooms. I will be sure to have our Director of Engineering do a full inspection of the rooms to ensure that everything is ok with them.

Thank you for the great comments about Roshid and T. I will be giving them a couple high fives for a job well done!

Come visit us again soon.

Best,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Well this place isn’t going to be a secret for very long. I booked for my one year anniversary only to find out that Monaco was celebrating its one month anniversary—and it had that wonderful new, hotel feel.

Allow me to digress for a moment and say, that if you are a pet lover you will LOVE this experience. We did not bring one of our six dogs to visit though we were told that they would have been welcomed (without a pet fee!). However many others did and as pet lovers there was just something cool about watching dogs of all shapes (and sizes!) being walked around this posh hotel liked they owned the place. It enabled those of us who did not bring our furry little friends a great ‘dog watching’ experience.

Back to business. We stayed in a corner unit King Spa room (302) and the corner rooms are fantastic with all the windows. Bright, cheery and amazing—the website pictures don’t do them justice. They are romantic but sophisticated—I loved that the furniture and décor felt more like an apartment versus a hotel room.

The other two things that I liked about Monaco were the Red Owl Tavern and the Status Lounge. We went on a Sunday night so both these spots were not crowded but they were comfortable and places that you would want to hang out at for a long time—great décor and good menus. We did not eat at the Tavern, only passed through but it seemed like a great spot for casual dining. We did spent time in the Lounge though and that was a very casual spot, reminded me of someplace in the Southwest.

Lastly the only thing that I would say that was a bit touch and go (but I attribute this to the newness of the hotel) was the service. It was either spot on or way off. The door men/valet—top notch. Front desk were nice at first but easily distracted by other co-workers or guests even when the lobby isn’t that busy, they could be more focused for sure. Housekeeping was way off. We checked in at 3pm and our room was not ready for 30 minutes. Then when we asked for a second bath robe for the room (because there were 2 people staying in the room) they brought us XXL with no tie to close it. Then they came at 9:45 in the morning the day we were checking out to clean the room knocking on the door to wake us up.

Overall though, notwithstanding the service inconsistences which I am sure will be sorted out in the months to come, this property is a gem as most other hotels in Philadelphia leave a lot to be desired. News of this place is sure to spread quickly.

Room Tip: Corner Room
Dear Brownpads32,

Happy Belated Anniversary! Thank you for choosing to celebrate with us. Happy to see so many wonderful things about your visit, however, I am sorry about the challenges you experienced with housekeeping. I will be sure to share your review with them so that they can address and prevent this from happening in the future.

Hope to welcome you back soon!

Viborg, South Dakota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was my first stay in a Kimpton and this hotel is fantastic. The decor is eclectic and beautiful, the beds were the best hotel beds I have ever slept in, the staff was so attentive and helpful. Apparently, dogs love Kimptons too, and they were extremely well represented. We availed ourselves of all the services and have to admit we were impressed every step of the way. I would highly recommend staying here. Thanks, Monaco

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Lynda S,

Amazing experience for an amazing guest sounds fitting! That’s great that your first Kimpton visit was fantastic.

Hope to see more of you in the future!

Director of Creating Amazing Experiences
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am a regular at the Palomar in Philadelphia, but by way of a change of scene stayed here for a night. I wish I could have stayed longer, the room was beautifully decorated and well equipped, with all the typical Kimpton touches - warm 'slippers', dressing gown and iPod dock to play internet radio from back home. Breakfast was great in the rustic restaurant and the roof top bar was terrific, It was also great to catch up with Brad - who had been doorman at the Palomar previously and always makes me feel like I am home (from home :) ) Great job Kimpton!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sidslammer,

Thanks for staying and giving us a shot! Happy to see you liked it here. Now the real question, did you like it more than the Palomar? Just kidding you don’t have to answer that! Brad is fantastic and truly a great asset to the team. Happy you had the chance to catch up with him.

See you on your next trip!

Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!