“Decent stay but it is the little things....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites University City

You added Homewood Suites University City to your Saves list
Homewood Suites University City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4109 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 (University City)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Double HHonors Points
Ranked #16 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta
“Decent stay but it is the little things....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed here for a week, so I believe that I can make a fair assessment of the hotel and my stay. The previous reviewer said it best: "It's the little things" that make this hotel not so great. It is certainly in a great location, near the universities and has a few delivery places close by. The free breakfast and dinner are great amenities and the food was actually pretty good. The female chef did an amazing job and was really nice! Now for the not so good.... I had to change rooms twice and would have the 3rd time, but I didn't have the energy to do so. The first room had thick layers of dust everywhere; with the allergies that I have, I couldn't stay in the room for more than 2 minutes without sneezing and going into an "allergy fit". Therefore, I had to switch rooms. They immediately switched me to a "cleaner" room, which it was....until I noticed the DIRTY USED WASHCLOTH hanging on the shower rack. Immediately I was grossed out and couldn't do it. The 3rd room was clean on the surface...until the next morning when I went to take a shower and noticed hair in the shower stall. I mean eeewww the main thing hoteliers need to know is to ENSURE THE ROOMS (especially BATHROOMS AND BEDS) are immacuately clean. I complained to the manager, and he promised to comp the night, WHICH HE DID NOT. I got a full bill without any additional rewards or anything. The housekeeping staff was great; the housekeeping manager sent someone to clean my room and she did a great job. Overall it's the little things that made this not so great of a stay. I probably will not choose to stay here in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Paul D, General Manager at Homewood Suites University City, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear NeatFreak25,

First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations and I am actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure cleanliness and comfort are our first priority. I understand the condition of our guestrooms were of concern, I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind as we look towards refresh options. Again, I apologize for the inconveniences and I hope we have another opportunity to provide a great stay for you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Columbia, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I rarely have the pleasure of staying at a new hotel and I'm in deep like of this place. I say like and not love because there's no restaurant. I'm a business traveler so I need food within reach.

Everything is clean, and in order. Staff is pleasant and professional. The room is technologically updated. There are two flat screens, your door opens by a mere swipe of your card, the power in your room is activated and sustained by your room key. There are outlets galore throughout the suite. AND because I'm a Hilton diamond member I had water and milano cookies. My biggest grievance is the walls are a bit thin and I have a very happy family next door. It's not overly bothersome, but is definitely noticeable.

I am very pleased and if in this area again, I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
Paul D, General Manager at Homewood Suites University City, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Greerel,

Thank you for your review. We are very proud of the staff and our new hotel.
Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I currently been staying here for a week and the little issues are starting to add up. I'll start with the positives though. This hotel is clean and modern and the staff is very friendly. Very nice pool, hot tub and work out room and the hotel is completely smoke free. As for the issues, I travel frequently so there are small details that I noticed that others may not but the hotel staff should be on top of. The HVAC unit in my room was missing the filter and from the looks of the dust on the coils it looks like it was that way for a while. Also, the ceiling fan light was burned out. I reported both and it was quickly taken care of. The rooms do not have a TV channel listing card to use like most hotels have. The TV does have a menu but it takes time for it to load. I like to be able to see quickly what channel I want to change to. If you do laundry here, you may need to pay for drying twice. My load only filled half the dryer and was not fully dry after the 45 minute drying time. Finally, one of the elevators has been finicky the entire time in reading the key card so there has been a few times I ended up on the ground floor instead of my room floor. I was told that it was fixed but the issue keeps on happening not with just me and other guest, but hotel staff as well. This issues alone would be no big deal but adding them all up has brought my rating of this hotel down. Also there's the valet parking. Be prepared to pay $39 a night for this and it's not even covered or garage parking. There is a small surface lot behind the hotel where they park the cars open to the elements. There is no self parking at the hotel. The valets do an outstanding job.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Paul D, General Manager at Homewood Suites University City, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Scott A.,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we apologize for the condition of your guest suite. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We have addressed our team in regards to your review and we will make the appropriate corrections. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future. Thank you again for your comments.

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We actually stayed here just following Hurricane Sandy. After 5 days with no power, heat, etc., we decided to escape NJ and go down to Philly to visit our daughter for the weekend. We needed a warm room, hot shower, a washing machine and dryer, and a gym, and this hotel offered us all of that and then some. The staff was super friendly, room was large and immaculately clean, breakfast bar was decent. The only down side was the location. Not very convenient to center city, but I didn't care, we walked anyway. We met other people who were staying because they lost their homes, or couldn't get back into their homes, etc. very humbling experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear chirish61,

Thank you for your comments about your stay. We are glad that we could help you in a difficult time. Look forward to seeing you in the future.

midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My daughter was starting at Penn University for a semester as part of the international programme from the UK. We needed somewhere to stay for a couple of days until she could move into Uni accomodation. I looked at other hotels in the campus area but was impressed with the amount of space this offered. Bear in mind we had luggage for 5 months for her and a normal hotel room would have been a squash.
We had a sitting area and kitchette( hob, full size fridge, microwave) bathroom and a spacious bedroom with 2 double beds. It was spotless and quiet. Both men at reception were so helpful as we were new to the area (and country) They even provided us with a free shuttle to get her cases down the street to her new accomodation.
Breakfast is a help yourself buffet, all fine for what we needed especially as included in the price.
All in all, it worked very well for us and if I pop over to visit her, I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear MidlandsSophie,

Thank you for your comments about your stay. We hope to see you on your next trip across the pond to visit your daughter.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I had a long morning at the airport and I was first greeted by the hotel manager and instantly felt better. The security of the hotel is superb! You have to have a room key to get to the guest floors. Got up to my room on the 10th floor, you also have to use the room key to turn on everything in your suite. I love it! Very conservative on energy. I reserved a 1 bedroom king bed suite. Everything was extremely clean and well lit if you need it to be. Up to date appliances and HUGE flat screen tvs. One in the common living room area and the other in the bedroom. The bed is huge and comfortable.

We sadly missed the dinner on Thursday night, they were having SALMON! My favorite. We did however partake of the breakfast on the next morning. Hot and cold items were very good! We really loved the breakfast burritos on saturday morning! The breakfast attendants were very nice as well.

The gym has weights and cardio machines, balls, mats, and large mirrors. The technology in this hotel was everything! Easy access to restaurants and if you need to get downtown a cab ride is usually $15-$20, and the subway is a 5min walk. I loved the location! Not in the hussle and bussle. Very quiet and relaxing.

IF YOU ARE IN PHILADELPHIA ON BUSINESS, you must request that your company puts you in this hotel! Although it is an extended stay with a kitchen, laundry services etc My boyfriend and I had an amazing time celebrating our anniversary here. We will definitely be back! Thank you all sooooo much! :-)

Room Tip: Room 1013 was a great view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lenny G,

Thank you for your review about our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again soon.

Manasquan, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Just stayed for 2 nights while my Mother had surgery at University of Philadelphia Hospital. Great hotel so clean and staff is so friendly and helpful. I travel a great deal for business and love staying at a Hilton hotel and this one is on the top of my list. Also recommend the hotel to the surgeon to recommend to families of his patients they are adding it to their list ! We will be back in 2 weeks and will without a doubt again stay at the Homewood Suites>

Thanks !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Donna K,

Thank you for the positive comments about the staff. We are very proud to provide the best service.

Paul

Been to Homewood Suites University City? Share your experiences!