In the University City area of West Philadelphia, you have three main hotel choices: Sheraton University City, Hilton Inn at Penn, or Homewood Suites. For the money, I prefer Homewood.
- The hotel is brand new, less than one year old.
- Rooms are clean and organized with more space for the money than the other area hotels.
- Since it's all suites, you have an efficiency kitchenette that would suffice if you wanted to eat in. However, you can also enjoy the included daily breakfast (and weeknight dinners) in the hotel's lounge at no additional cost. The lounge is impeccably clean and well-organized with coffee, tea, and hot chocolate offered 24 hours a day.
- The front desk staff are professional and courteous.
- The pool and gym areas are tidy with plenty of clean towels available.
- WiFi is free for guests and actually works, unlike the Sheraton's.
- If you give advanced notice, a free shuttle is offered by the hotel to take you where you need to go in Philly.
- The hotel is on the western edge of University City and the neighborhood a bit further to the west gets somewhat dicey at night. Thankfully, there are many restaurants and shops just to the east of the hotel . That area is relatively safe at night as it's regularly patrolled by Philadelphia PD as well as UPenn's police.
- Valet parking at $26/night is in line with other area hotels, but is too expensive considering you can self park at a garage down the street for much less.
- The rooms are energy efficient which is mostly positive, but the lighting in the toilet/shower area of the bathroom is way too dim!
Overall, after several pleasant stays at Homewood, I would recommend it for anyone looking to stay in University City.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The suites in our brand-new University City property come in studio and one-bedroom sizes, all with top amenities and modern, attractive decor. Each suite includes a full kitchen with a refrigerator, microwave and twin-burner stove, and features separate living and sleeping areas with all the comforts of home and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Tingo, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, BookingOdigeoWL, Priceline, Hilton Hotels, Venere and Otel so you can book your Homewood Suites University City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.