“Great for USMLE Step II CS” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Eastern State Prison
Ranked #2 of 26 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great for USMLE Step II CS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed here the night before my Step II CS exam, which was about a 10-15 minute walk from the Cornerstone. The staff was extremely friendly and knew a lot about the exam logistics. They covered up the patch on my white coat for me, gave me snacks for during the test, told me what to expect, etc. They let me leave my suitcase there during the test, too.

Also easy walk to 30th St. Station to get trains, including the $7 train to the airport. Would definitely go there again if I was in Philly!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Wilmington, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed here for 3 days and can I say that the staff, the location, and the rooms were absolutely perfect!

The breakfast set up was devine and the service went beyond the call of duty (even going so far as to help me clean my shoes!). It is a great way to see Philadelphia if you are going for the first time and is super close to everything! The food was excellent...especially the breakfast! Yummmmm

Highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
East Providence, Rhode Island, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This place was very nice. The hosts were very welcoming and attentive; the breakfasts were delicious; the ambiance was very relaxing and beautiful; and the room we stayed in (Continental Suite) was perfect. The only minor complaint I have is that the temperature control for the AC was in the hallway and not in the room itself. We looked for it the first night but couldn't find it, so we tried to sleep with the windows open, but found it difficult because the college crowds outside were making alot of noise. The next morning we were told where it was, so that night we were able to sleep with the windows closed. However, we awoke in the middle of the night to arctic cold temps and realized that because the thermostat was outside the room it wasn't giving an accurate reading of the temp inside the room. So just remember where the thermostat is so you can enjoy your stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Someone was on hand when we arrived to take our credit card info, but we never saw any representative again. None of our questions were answered about where to eat or to park or to visit UPenn, which was the only reason we booked this close to the university. Room was crowded with knicknacks but not amenities for guests. No more useful than local budget hotel with same lack of useful information. Hot breakfast provided, but no personal touch at all. No different than chain hotel, and raked dirty leaves on side porch, too, and more expensive.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Chris S, Owner at Cornerstone Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
I appreciate constructive comments from all of our guests but must say I am not so sure I see the validity of any of the above. We are a small run bed and breakfast so we do not have a front desk staff that sits in our lobby 24 hours a day. I will concede that point but that is all. My father in-law lives on the premises so he is on the property 24 hours a day. Sometimes he has to run out to do some shopping but that is it. In regard to us not answering guests questions on where to eat or park that would be a first. These two questions are the ones we get the most so we know the answers very well. We have very detailed information on our website about places to park and dine near the Cornerstone, and in each room is a concierge book that also lists nearby dining options in case they did not check our website. If guest ask us we are always happy to assist them and even have detailed walking instructions to about 10 different restaurants. What I really do not understand is the “knickknacks” comment. I can assure you the Cornerstone is a knickknack free zone. Only one of our rooms the University Suite has any extra decorations other than the pictures hung on the wall. This room has a two small Wedgewood plates on the bookshelf and that is about it. Certainly nothing a guest would have to move out of the way. We consciously as owners keep the rooms simple so our guests do not have to move things out of the way to use the desks. As far as other amenities we do not provide I am not sure what they mean. We have hair driers in all the rooms, towels, shampoo, soap, conditioner, 24 hour coffee and tea, as well as guest refrigerators. Lastly in regard to the leaves, my response is it is fall. I sweep the front porch every single day but seeing as we do have a tree located next to the porch yes we do get a handful of leaves on the porch each and every day at this time of year.

If you think we are no better than a chain hotel than I suggest you just book with the Sheraton in University City. If you also think we are too expensive I will counter that point by saying when you come back to Upenn to visit your son or daughter just wait to see what they charge you during homecoming or graduation.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This was a good location for easy access to University of Pennsylvania, while experiencing a neighborhood as compared to staying in hotel on campus. I walked everywhere, and it seemed relatively safe even at night. There's a busy street on one side, but even so my rooms were quiet. I stayed in University Suite. The weather was very hot and air conditioning worked fine. Everything was super clean. There's a handy hotwater dispenser for tea at anytime, and snacks provided too. My only complaint: WIFi was temperamental. Hosts were exceptionally attentive and helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Usually staying at the Kimpton Hotel downtown and taking the bus to campus; decided to try this quaint B&B reviewed favorably on Tripadvisor. Situated on the corner of 33rd, and closer to the Drexel campus, the location is a 15 minute walk to campus. The wonderful 'Sabrina Cafe' is one block away. They do not inflate their prices like the Inn at Penn or the Sheraton, when university parents are expected in town. This lovely, well taken care of, historic home is a charm. It warmed my heart to see the parents, kids and grandchildren all chipping in to take care of this family owned business. I had the Franklin room at the top of the stairs, and was very happy. The breakfast for delicious, the treats left out all night were a nice extra. Close to the subway. I found my new home in Philadelphia when visiting U Penn...just don't let anyone else in on this secret!

Room Tip: Website has good description of rooms