“Fine hotel, not special, but functional” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4200 City Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19131   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #61 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
PA
“Fine hotel, not special, but functional”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed one night at this hotel for a family wedding nearby. It was OK. Nothing special, nothing bad. Very typical hotel...not run down but not upgraded. It wasn't cheap, so I can't give it higher ratings based on the price. The location is right on City Ave, so easy and convenient if that's near where you need to be. It was a functional place to lay our heads at night...not more or less than that.

The breakfast buffet was good...fresh made waffles and eggs, which was nice. Fruit salad with berries, which can be harder to find in a hotel buffet.

Another positive was that the valet parking was only $10, which is a good value for a hotel like this.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you very much for your stay and for posting a review. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay but sorry that the hotel and it's did not wow you. I will share you thoughts with all members of the team so that we can look to how we can improve so as to give our guests a more memorable stay.

Thank you and I hope that you will consider staying at the hotel the next time you are staying in the Philadelphia area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Philadephia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I was deeply disappointed when they wanted to charge me an extra fee to use the wireless internet in my hotel room. Then, they suggested I do all my work in their SMALL business center. The hotel manager didn't even know the correct number of Hilton corporate when I wanted to complain.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you very much for your stay and for posting a review. I am sorry that the hotel was not able to meet you expectations especially with regards to the internet. I will share you thoughts on this issue with all involved.

Again thank you for your stay and for your feedback, it was greatly appreciated and valued. I do hope that you will consider staying at the Hilton City Avenue the next time you are in the Philadelphia area.
Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

I was here before and the experience was not good for me at all!! The hotel is very well maintained but my problem had to do with their service.We used this hotel only because of the location of the event so I was against staying again.
We arrived late because of rain and the bar was the only thing open. I sat there for a few minutes watching the waitress go back and forth. Finally the bartender came and asked for my order. I asked for a menu but was told the kitchen was closed. He then asked me to hold while he checked. I was able to get a salad and wings in. The salad was fresh and the wings were also. Great bartender and service!!!
I finished and went to my room.
I can say my experience was much better this trip and I will return.

• Stayed October 2013
I want to thank you for your stay and for posting a review. I was very pleased to read that your stay this time was much improved over your previous stay. I have made note of the added service that was shown by the bartender and will be sure to share your thoughts with all concerned.

Again thank you for your stay and feedback. I hope that on your next trip you will continue to experience the ongoing improvement in the service here at the hotel. Thank you.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

If location is of prime importance, the Hilton might do it for you. Easy access to the mainline communities in one direction and the attractions of Philadelphia in the other. However, the actual experience isn't what it could/should be. The leather (?) easy chair and ottoman in our room were shabby. The ceiling next to the vent was dark, making me wonder about air quality. The fan in the shower just wasn't up to the job, and after the two of us had showered, it was like a sauna. The corridors were just not attractive. I had the feeling this was an old hotel that had been updated with mixed results. There were staff people everywhere. All were helpful. Valet service was prompt. So there were good and bad aspects. Final analysis--would we stay there again? Probably not. The drive in from King of Prussia is a pain, but there are many better, more reasonable places to stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your stay and for posting a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and will be put to good use. I have made note of the guest room issues that you raised and these have been addressed with the appropriate departments. I was very pleased to read that the hotel staff met your needs and expectations and they helpful in all of your dealing with them. I will be sure to share these kind comments with all members of the team.

Again thank you for your stay and for your feedback. I do hope that you will consider staying at the hotel again the next time you are in the Philadelphia area.
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

A return to this hotel still makes this one a gemini for me - exceptional on some fronts, weird on others.

Plus side:
This Hilton has, in my opinion, the best exec level lounge - the food offerings are expanded, there are always 2 hot items, fresh and roasted veggies, and a wide selection of cheeses (you could make what they serve a meal) and the staff is exceptional, especially Iris.

Minus side:
Rooms are a bit tired - leather armchair in my room (823) was comfy - but well-worn, with leather cracking on the cushions. Bonus points for a sparkling tub (i hate finding black and or cracked grout!).

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your stay and for posting a review. I was glead to read that in general the hotel and it's Service Team met your needs and expectations and will share your kind comments with them. I take note of the comments regarding some of the furniture in the guest room and will share these observations with the appropriate departments.

Again thank you for your stay and for your feedback. I do hope that you will decide to stay at the Hilton City Avenue again the next time you are in the Philadelphia area. Thank you.
Montreal, Quebec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

There is really nothing not to like about this hotel when you are visiting the Bala Cynwyd area. Breakfast is great. Nice bar. Beds are really comfortable and its quiet. The price is very reasonable. Lots of local restaurants and shopping near by.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to post a review. I was very pleased to read that both the hotel and it's Service Team were able to meet your needs and expectations and assisted in helping to make your stay such an enjoyable one. I will be sure to share your very kind comments with all members of the team since it was a true team effort.

I hope that you will choose the Hilton City Avenue again the next time you are staying in the Philadelphia area.
Winter Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We came for dinner at about 7:30 on a Thursday and for the prices they charge for a meal... I expected my steak to be excellent! My steak was over cooked for medium rare and I had to cut away the charred areas, just to get to the steak. I could have sent it back, but it took a while just to get my meal. The other parts of the meal was good (the bread was great, wedge salad delicious, also ordered mashed potatoes and sautéed mushrooms with onions which were also yummy!), but if this restaurants is called Delmonico's Steak House, then my steak should be perfect!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your stay and for posting a review. I am truely sorry that your meal in Delmonico's was not to your complete satisfaction. As you stated, even though many aspects of your meal were good, if the entree is not exactly what you expect it to be then them meal did not truly meet you expectations. I assure you that this is not the norm for Delmonico's and I will be sure to share your thoughts with all members of the team involved. Thank you.

Been to Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue? Share your experiences!