“Rudeness with front desk” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
AAA Discount upto 10% Off
Ranked #61 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Norfolk, Virginia
“Rudeness with front desk”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My family and I arrived in Phil. during early evening after a 5 hour drive to attend a funeral scheduled for the next morning. Staff was extremely disconnected-doorman included. Couple was checking in and took a little more time than usual. But more to that was the MOD or Front Desk Manager, a pudgy guy with a navy jacket, came out, walked passed me as I waited to check in, checked with the doorman to see if he was "ok", then returned to the back office. Ten minutes later, a guest arrived and was in line behind me. The Manager, walked from the back office again, saw me and the gentleman in line (couple was still at the desk), walked up to the gentleman behind me and asked HIM was he ready to check in. What do you think happened? The gentleman (who deserved to be called that) informed him that I should go since I have been waiting longer. Seems the manager went to the back and finally another front desk person came out and checked me in.
This was an intentional behavior of discrimination on the part of the manager. You see, I am a black woman and as much as I am a mature open-minded woman, I am extremely aware of great customer service and the attention to detail-I did not experience it that day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
I want to thank you for having stayed at the hotel and for posting a reveiw of your stay. I want to personally apologize if the Service Team at the hotel failed to treated you as anything but the truly valued guest that you are. There is no excuse for a guest to be treated with anything but a true feeling of warmth and hospitality, and if this was not the case during your check-in I am truly sorry. I assure you that the issue you have raised will be discussed with all of the team members involved.

Again thank you for taking the time to have posted your review and supplying the hotel with this crucial feedback about your experience at the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

On behalf of my organization, a prominent local university, I coordinate an annual conference-style event for professionals and advocates who work in youth development. Prior to 2011, this event was held at a large public facility in Center City until we realized we needed to "upgrade" the venue. Hilton was the choice, much to our delight, and we haven't looked back since. Our contact is a gentleman named Randy who is simply a hospitality all-star. Each of the last two years, he has: worked with us to reserve the plush Grand Ballroom (stellar accommodations); been available and pleasantly responsive to numerous inquiries and requests; and generously offered several delightful and complimentary perks. Randy, his team (which includes Paula, Gerardo, and Steve) and wait staff have a commendable way of making you feel as though your satisfaction is vastly more important to them than your rental fee. My colleagues and I have been exceptionally pleased with our event experience at the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue and I am more than happy to spend this time and energy touting the excellence of Randy and his crew.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for posting a review of you stay and for holding your company's event at the hotel. I was very pleased to read that all aspects of your stay and meeting were pleasant and enjoyable and that the Catering and Service Team met or exceeded your needs and expectations. I will be sure to share your very king comments with all members of the team. I look forward to having you and your company here again in the near future. Thank you.
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Perfect location for my trip. Parking just down the road.
Would warn guests not to try to park even briefly in the entrance (circle). The bells boys and valet service go nuts on you, if your car is even there for 1 minute!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you very much for having stayed at the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue and for taking the time to have posted a review of your stay. I was of course please to read that in general you found your stay to be a pleasant and enjoyable one and the hotel and it's Service Team met your expectations. I have made note of your comments regarding the parking situation and will of course discuss this with the hotel's Parking Valet and Door staff.

Again thank you for choosing the Hilton and we hope to have you as a guest again soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am a Hilton Honors member and like their properties. We stayed at this hotel when our power went out during hurricane Sandy. We live in Philadelphia area. First time we stayed at this hotel and everything was great. We found staff very pleasant and accommadating - it was certainly an oasis of warmth and welcoming to a couple travelers pretty weary and tired. Parking is an issue due to location and that is the only reason for not rating a 5 - although the valet personnel were great and they have a long way to hustle to get vehicles. Certainly a great Hilton property and well managed and certainly showed care for guests. Good exercise room, indoor pool and business center.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for having stayed at the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue and for taking the time to have posted a review of your stay. I am very please that the hotel and it's Service Team was able to make your stay enjoyable and in some small way relieve a little of the strain that you were experiencing as a result of the storm. I will be sure to share your very kind comments with all members of the team.
Cypress, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Rude staff, not clean. You learn to expect more from a Hilton Hotel after staying at their locations 2-3 times a week. When you run across one that does not stand up to the brand standards, I just don't go back again. The manager could barley even look at me when I was talking to him, he was more interested in other things issues. 30 seconds of a guests time is not too much to expect.

I had planned to stay for two nights over the weekend, but I checked out on Saturday morning, and checked into another Hilton location, where you get what you expect from the rates that you pay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
We are sorry that you had an unpleasant experience during your stay with us. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, values and respected and we regret this was not your experience. Please accept our apology for the poor service you received and know that your comments will be used as a reminer of how important our guest interactions really are. your feedback will help us to better deliver our brand standards moving forward. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope that you will consider staying with us again.

Brian Sheridan
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed here because a family event was being held in the hotel. Room was comfortable and good-sized. Towels were large and fluffy, but I did have to ask for an extra set of towels for both nights of our stay (we like 3 sets for the 2 of us). Parking is not too convenient. We used valet parking because we were "in and out" several times, but the self-park lot is a good walk from the hotel and charges each time you go in and out. The event was well-done - the service for cocktail hour and event was excellent, and food was very good, especially appetizer buffet. Convenient access from highway, lots of shopping and eating choices around.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view over the lake are west facing, so get warm sun in the afternoon (but no bright sun...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
I want to thank you for staying at the hotel and for having taken the time to post a review. I was very plreased to read that the hotel and it's Service Team seemed to have met your overall expectations and that your stay was an enjoyable one. I will make sure that I share your very kind comments with all members of the team.

Again thank you very much for your feedback and I hope that you will choose the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue the next time you are in the area for lesiure or business. Please have a wonderful day.
Clinton, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed here for one night while attending a conference at the hotel. I noticed the mixed reviews and was a bit leery, but was pleasantly surprised with everything.
Check in was quick and smooth, room was nice, good size, and comfy beds. Main drawback would have to be thin walls, but other than that, I would recommend or stay here again as well. The front desk was always helpful, bellman was great as was valet.
We had a nice buffet breakfast and dinner at Delmonico's was amazing!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
I want to thank you for having stayed at the hotel and for posting a review of your stay. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel and its service team seemed to have met you needs and expectations. I will ensure that I pass along your very kind comments to all members of the team here at the hotel.

Again thank you for your review and I hope that you will choose the Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue the next time you are in the area. Thank you.

Been to Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue? Share your experiences!