“Mike The BRAIN of Philly Cheesteak Tour” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 122 Activities in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: Take a Free and Friendly walking tour with us! It’s free, which means you tip us what you want. It’s friendly because we’re friendly folks. And it’s Philadelphia because we love it and want you to love it too. We’re a Philly company and we’ll show you the whole Philadelphia – or the whole of what’s in walking distance. We lend our friendship freely and we’ll gladly recommend a place to go out after the tour.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Mike The BRAIN of Philly Cheesteak Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We spotted Mike a block away sign in hand and a smile on his face. Full of energy and knowledge he was on point from the first moment he began talking. Originally with 3 groups it ended up just being my girlfriend and I so made it that much more fun and exciting. After living in the Philadelphia area our entire lives we took our first tour together and Mike definately helped us with some interesting and great information. This guys knowledge was so strong and was clear he loved what he was doing. He amazed us with ever word he said. Mike is extremely friendly and easy to talk to he had so much information on everything we walked by and was even quicker with a off the book question. I am not much of a history kinda guy but he made me feel very comfortable to ask questions and did not make me feel dumb for asking something the average person may know. He has a great sense of humor and ties it in with some singing and just A+ everything. Really enjoy talking about facts we learned to our visiting friends to area. GREAT TOUR GREAT TOUR GUIDE ALL IN ALL GREAT EXPERIENCE We look forward to exploring the other Free and Friendly Tours they offer in the area.

MIKE DEFINATELY PUTS THE CHEESE ON THE STEAK IN THIS TOUR!!!

THANKS MIKE!!!

Visited January 2013

Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
“Time well spent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I have lived in the Philly area for 15 years now, but the Colonial Cheese steak and Billy Penn tours gave me a lot of information in a nice and enjoyable way. Mark is friendly, outgoing and quite knowledgeable about the history of center city Philadelphia. I'd strongly recommend this tours to any visitors or even locals. For me this was really time well spent. Keep up the good work, Mark.

Visited January 2013
Bedminster, New Jersey
“Thoroughly enjoyed the Colonial Cheesesteak tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Just as advertised...a fun way to learn quite a lot about the historical district in Philadelphia -- and even (most of) the children enjoyed it! Mike is friendly, outgoing, and knowledgeable. Since it is free, it was no-risk for us and our motley crew with 4 adults, a 10 year old, two thirteen year olds, and two eighteen year olds. We weren't sure how well the kids & teens would do so we liked the knowledge that we could leave at any time. In the end, we chose to continue for the full 2 1/2 hours even though we had planned to stop at the 1 1/2 hour point -- and felt it was well-worth the tip we gave him! Calling ahead (even a 1/2 hour beforehand) is great because then he knows to expect you and will wait a couple of minutes if you are late. BTW, the meeting point is in front of the OMNI hotel -- I couldn't see any street address there.
In the future I plan to take the Billy Penn tour!

Visited December 2012
New Hyde Park, New York
“An enjoyable "free and friendly tour" of Philly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I decided to take a trip to Philadelphia at the last minute. I went on line and found the Free and Friendly Tour. Our tour guide was Mike and he was extremely knowledgeable and very friendly. We were on tour with a couple from Germany and their baby(a very well behaved baby) and they enjoyed the tour as well. In addition, Mike was very forthcoming about restaurants and other places to visit that his tour did not include. Eventhough we have been to Philly several times, I would highly recommend this tour because of the addtitional knowledge we learned about our nations history. Thanks so much for the easgoing and enjoyable tour.
Lori R.

Visited December 2012
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“A personal tour of Philly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I've been to Philly several times, but this is the first tour of the city I've been on and highly suggest it. I took the Billy Penn tour with Mark, who provided a very informative and witty walk through of center city. It was well-paced and personal enough to allow for any questions and discussion en route to the various checkpoints. My favorite parts were the exploration of different architectural styles seen in many buildings downtown, as well as the awesome lunch from reading terminal market. If you're in Philly and have time for a tour, I'd recommend these gents.

Visited September 2012