“In the footsteps of Billy Penn!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 122 Activities in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: Take a Free and Friendly walking tour with us! It’s free, which means you tip us what you want. It’s friendly because we’re friendly folks. And it’s Philadelphia because we love it and want you to love it too. We’re a Philly company and we’ll show you the whole Philadelphia – or the whole of what’s in walking distance. We lend our friendship freely and we’ll gladly recommend a place to go out after the tour.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“In the footsteps of Billy Penn!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I really enjoyed my walking tour of Philadelphia. My guide, Mike, was enthusiastic, friendly and full of interesting stories which he told (and at times performed!) theatrically. My only 'disappointment'? That there were not more people to share in such a quality tour! So, get down to City Hall Philadelphia and look for the Free and Friendly sign - it's really worth it!

Newark, New Jersey
“Don't Miss Out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I went on the afternoon Billy Penn tour a few days ago and what a tour! Mike, the tour guide, provided plenty of insight on the hidden gems of Philadelphia, along with detailed histories of the eclectic architecture of City Hall, Academy of Fine Arts and other buildings along Market Street. It wasn't my first time in Philly - I've already done the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall sightseeing. Yet I learned more about the actual city of Philadelphia and got a taste of its unique culture because of this tour. Also, Mike is really awesome at answering your questions - he is a really enthusiastic guide. It is plenty of walking, so I recommend wearing some comfortable shoes and you're set for this tour! I look forward to my next trip to Philly and go on the morning tour! Believe me, as someone who pretty much wrote off Philly during a visit years ago, I'm glad to see how wrong I was about this city! Thanks, Free and Friendly Tours!

Boston, Massachusetts
“Check them out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I enjoyed the morning tour so much that I decided to go on the afternoon one as well. Both were great fun and highly enjoyable. Definitely check them out.

New Brunswick, New Jersey
“A free, interactive, informative and VERY enjoyable experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

My girlfriend and I were very excited to take a well-deserved day-trip to Philadelphia as a break from studying for our final exams. We caught wind of Free and Friendly Tours via Facebook about two weeks ago and decided to try it out, as we wanted to save as much ca$h as possible.

I only had the opportunity to see the first tour --- which involved a detailed account of the travels of Billy Penn and how he came to lay out the city of Philadelphia. We learned a great deal about the Quakers, who predominated the city for some years in the 17th century, until the Church of England made its way to the city and the Quaker count dropped heavily. The tour included historical accounts and comparisons with modern-day lifestyle. One of my favorite points on the tour was doing a "then" and "now" comparison of the city's architecture.

I don't want to give too much away --- this was a tremendously informative and relaxing walking tour and much of the information is NOT contained in classic tours of Philadelphia (the ones where the guides need to dress in a fancy colonial outfits to reel your attention and wallet in).

At the end of the tour, you'll probably be hungry --- have Mark take you somewhere on South Street; I guarantee you'll find something that appeases your palate! Our group had lunch at a place that served European wraps --- meal deals were only $7.00, and they were sure to fill you up and be delicious.

I recommend this walking tour for couples, families, solo travelers and small groups.

Nice idea Mark and Mike!

Haddonfield, New Jersey
“cool idea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Great Service. Mark and Mike are both very knowledgeable about the history of Philly. I learned quite a lot. Everything was fascinating. They are both interesting and they don't inundate you with dates. The 2 1/2 hour walk might be a lot for some people, but I didn't mind it. I love the fact that it's free. I don't have to decide whether or not to get a tour or pay for food. Being a poor college student is rough enough. Try it, it's fun.