“Must see - take the children for sure!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of National Liberty Museum

National Liberty Museum
321 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)
800-822-8487
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #71 of 288 Attractions in Philadelphia
Type: History Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The National Liberty Museum is AN INSPIRATIONAL WALK THROUGH FREEDOM. Bring together the most interesting, thoughtful and transformative experiences to give visitors an inspiring look at the progression of freedom thorough history. We are especially interested in providing school communities with the tools they need to effectively prevent bullying and violence. To this end, our themed tours and workshops offer anti-bullying skills that students and teachers alike can take back to the classroom and playground. We also offer professional development for educators focused on ending bullying and violence in schools.Open Monday-Saturday 10am-5pm; Sunday noon-6pm. Closed Mondays during the school year.
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
“Must see - take the children for sure!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Small but powerful for all ages. Great location in Olde City and well worth taking the time to explore all the galleries and see the awesome glass collection.

Visited May 2012

Northern New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
“Different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Not what I expected at all. Inspiring details of "heroes" interspersed with glass sculpture. Very very large Dale Chihuly glass piece in the gift shop. Glad I went, wouldn't make a special trip to see, but might go again if I was in the city.
PS. Photos at the top as I write this review are of the Liberty Bell. That is incorrect. The museum is near but has nothing to do with the Liberty Bell

Visited March 2012
Arizona
24 attraction reviews
“Fantastic exhibits”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

We thought the exhibits were outstanding and the best museum we saw in Philadelphia. While there a group of junior high students were touring and we listened to the guide who kept us and them in raptures with his description. This is an educational experience not a museum where one views art or objects.

Visited May 2011
Houston, Texas
109 attraction reviews
“Would be a better book...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

I have to agree with an earlier reviewer that this museum is not "typical". Unfortunately, I really like most museums, so my tastes tend to run toward the "typical" I suppose. First for the pros--definitely not crowded on a Sunday when I visited. Granted it was December, but I was literally the only person in the place for a solid hour. The exhibits are on four floors, and they did have one very interesting and unique exhibit on violence among children that discussed various aspects from bullying to violence in the media, recent events involving guns in schools, etc. Each staircase has a different memorial to victims of the 9/11 attacks as well. But to be honest, I found the museum to be only mediocre due to a few points: 1.) most of the "exhibits" consist of extensive writing on plaques or posters on the walls. Honestly, it would have made for a better book, there was so much reading involved. 2.) Many of the "heroes" highlighted who fought for peace and liberty were actually martyrs, especially the 9/11 victims and those highlighted as fighting for civil rights on the first floor, all of which gave it a kind of depressing air. I felt like most of the time I would read about a person's efforts to bring freedom to their country and the explanation would end with the person being murdered. Lastly, 3.) the two exhibits I was most excited about were very disappointing. The "recreations" of Anne Frank's secret annex and Nelson Mandela's jail cell were easily 12 feet square and each consisted of a bed and a book and little else.

Additionally, I looked up times for the museum about a month ago when I booked my tickets, and since then they changed so that when I arrived I discovered that the museum didn't open for several more hours. I noticed another reviewer mentioned that there was also a lack of communication regarding when it is open, so I would suggest calling ahead.

Final verdict: I'm glad I visited and I learned a few things, enjoyed the unique artwork and several of the exhibits, but I would NOT return, take children under the age of 14, or suggest cutting something else out of your itinerary to fit in the Liberty Museum.

Princeton, New Jersey
“liberty off limits”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

I don't know what's in the museum because after driving for
over an hour to get there I found it closed for some kind of
"event". This was not announced on the web site, which I
had checked before setting out. So if you don't mind taking your
chances, I suppose this museum might be worth a visit.