“A mixed bag” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Opa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #837 of 3,786 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 13th Street
Transit: Broad Street Line-Walnut Locust Station
Description: Opa is a new Modern Greek restaurant and bar located in Center City's Midtown Village neighborhood. The menu features a fresh take on traditional Greek flavors. Featured items from the mezedes (small plates) include herbed keftedes (meatballs) in a ouzo-tomato sauce, octopus and spinach croquettes served with a smokey feta dip. Large plates offer a variety of items such as striped bass and pastitsio. The signature cocktail list and Greek wine selection offer the perfect complement to your meal. Acclaimed designer, Jun Aizaki/Creme, created an alluring setting which includes a striking birch branch canopy. Walk-in seating is available at the 24 seat bar and offers the full menu.
Boston
“A mixed bag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

As other reviewers have stated, there are problems with portion sizes. The quality of the food was good but the lamb shank could have fed an army, whereas the chops were three of the tinest and thinnest that I have ever seen - would have been too small as an appetizer. The hazelnut chocolate icecream was excellent, and the server was very friendly and efficient.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Bethlehem, PA
“Not really much of a beer garden....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I read about the Drury Beer Garden at Opa on a recent Yahoo travel story rating it one of the Top 10 Beer Gardens in the US. My wife and I tried to stop in for a drink early on a Saturday evening. The restaurant/bar section was over-capacity, with literally no room to move. We eventually pushed our way to the back exit to the "Beer Garden." It was essentially just a patio enclosed by a fence. There was a DJ, very little seating, and wall-to-wall people. We immediately left. I wouldn't really call a patio with a DJ a "Beer Garden."

We didn't eat there, so I can't comment on the quality of the food. But I know if I had been eating there, I would have been furious with the number of people bumping into me and looming over my table, and the noise. I felt bad for the people trying to enjoy a meal in the midst of such a chaotic bar scene.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
new york
“Good food but inconsistent portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We visited OPA on a saturday evening. I had made a reservation for a party of 5 several days before. We arrived on time and sat at the bar about 1/2 hr before our seats were available which was no problem for us. We had delicious drinks at the bar, a Greek Margarita and OPA Martini - spectacular! The guys had Dewars and a few beers. Our seats were very cramped(the guys were both 6'5) but after asking we were allowed to spread out a bit and we were finally comfortable. It is a very small dining area.
The food tasted wonderful but my complaint was the inconsistent portions. A calamari appetizer fed 5 of us but the spinach croquetts were barely enough for 2 - same price. The swordfish special was minuscule while the lamb shank could have fed 2! My son ordered the pastichio and it was appetizer size. Most of the patrons looked to be enjoying a ladies night out. There was a loud group of men at the bar but they were just drinking.(.too much!)
With so many restaurants to try in Philly I can't say I would go back but it was a pleasant evening...mostly due to the company we were with. Our server was very slow and just sort of blah... the bartender was nice & we enjoyed sitting there before dinner.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Elkridge, Maryland
“Good food, great service and value for your money.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Went to dinner before orchestra concert. Perfect walking distance from the Kimmel Center. Opa has great decor and ambiance. The food was delicious and great value for what we paid. I'd definitely go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Kreskin2207
“Poor Service and Bland Food Can't Save The Great Atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My guess is the point of a $2 Anniversary party is to drive awareness, excitement, and grow the customer base. The only problem is that the service and food have to deliver. I wasn't expecting full size portions for $2 but what we got was extremely small. Either way, I can look past the portion size completely and simply based on food I won't return.

The spinach croquettes (as they were out of the advertised lamb croquettes) were the highlight of the menu. I'm not even sure if they are on the standard menu. The gyro was okay (about the size of three fingers put together.) The surf & turf souvlaki was bland and cold.

After realizing we'd have to spend $50 on the $2 menu to get remotely full we opted to order a few full size appetizers. The ribs appetizer, while pretty tasty, came with two small ribs and about 1/2 cup of sweet potato hash. That serving was $9 - for two ribs and 10 cent worth of potato hash. The greek fries were okay but they were just fries.

The biggest issue was the service. I'm not sure if they weren't use to it being busy or they couldn't handle this anniversary menu or what, but the service was terrible. We had to wait 10 minutes for every drink we ordered (all canned beer by the way.) Our first order to the waitress was for four items - after 15 minutes we got one of them - the spinach croquettes. After inquiring and waiting another 10 minutes we go two more of the items. I inquired about the fourth again and ordered a fifth - the fifth item came 10 minutes later and after inquiring yet again about the gyro it finally arrived. Needless to say...it didn't live up to that wait. Love the atmosphere and the vibe, but the food and service were sub-par.

• Visited February 2013