“Fantastic food, a tad spendy” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Calaca Feliz is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #331 of 3,481 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Arlington, Massachusetts
“Fantastic food, a tad spendy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Visited for dinner on the 4th of July, maybe not the best night to base a review on - the crowds in the museum district were the biggest I have ever seen and we were 90 minutes late for our reservation, but the hostess was totally pleasant about it - but La Calaca Feliz totally delivered for us. We were on vacation so we went a little wild with the drinks and appetizers and ended up with fancy margheritas (for the grownups), chips and their delicious guacamole along with 2 different ceviche specials which were presented more like beautiful mexican sushi. My very picky 11yo daughter ate these (probably because they were so pretty - and tasty!); my wife and I were shocked. I forget exactly what we had for entrees and dessert but everything was delicious. Our waiter (Tom? maybe? muscular dude studying medicine) was handling a bunch of tables on a busy night but he chatted with us like he had all the time in the world when he came by. Toward the end of the meal my daughter declared "I think this was the best meal I've ever had in my life" which is high praise coming from her. We loved it and will definitely visit again when we are next in Philly.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Cute patio, great service - can't wait to introduce this to more people!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I found this place on Yelp and met my mom there for an early dinner. Street parking was pretty easy and the storefront is deceptive - this is a large restaurant (by Philly standards) with a very scenic patio! We started with house margaritas (which are served iced or straight - no frozen option) and the nachos, which were massive and delicious.

I am endlessly craving nachos, and this is one of the best nacho plates I've ever tasted.

I wanted to sample the guacamole, which is listed for $10 and comes in this massive black stone molcajete, and asked if it came in a smaller size. It turns out there's also an off-menu side item size for around $4, which was a perfect size to top the nachos with.

The nachos were very filling, so for mains we stuck with soup - I had the pumpkin soup and my mom had the chicken tortilla. Both were very flavorful and colorful.

Definitely coming back - La Calaca Feliz is a very nice surprise in the Philly museum district. I could see this being a fun place for a margarita-fueled, high energy group dinner of 8-12 people. Also, for young families, I should mention the early dinner crowd vibe was very family friendly.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“chef's menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner here on the patio recently and we all decided to have the chef's menu. The food was well balanced, delicious, beautifully prepared and nicely timed. Well done. We will be back for more rice and beans!

Visited September 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“really good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I ordered the carnitas. And I loved them. We sat out on the patio on the most wonderful night of the year. I wish you the same luck.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Mediocre food and pushy staff.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We decided to try and stay in the Fairmont area of town after the prison tour because of the Made in America Festival. So after checking out a few places online we decided on La Calaca Feliz.

The Service - We made reservations and everything seems great until we sat down and were bombarded with sales pitch after sales pitch, our waitress went on for a abnormally long time about how good the margaritas were but the problems was our friend is in AA but she didn't get the hint even after we kept saying we weren't interested. Then she went on to try and push the guacamole on us even though we hadn't even had a chance to look at the menu yet. Throughout the meal it seemed like our waitress kept forgetting about us because the manager kept having to come check on us and we had to repeatedly ask for drink refills. At the end the manager brought us our check and asked us three times if we were sure we didn't desert or coffee and didn't seem to want to take no for an answer because if one person said no he would ask someone else. By then we just wanted to get the hell out. Terrible service.

The Food - WAY OVER SALTED!! The food is defiantly catered to the Fairmont neighborhood and is in no way authentic at all. Not worth the price for the service or food in my opinion.

The Atmosphere - The atmosphere was very nice, and it was a very cute place.

Conclusion - We will definitely not be going back or recommending this place to anyone we know. If you want the best tacos in town, your gonna have to make a trek to south Philly to a small hole in the wall call Los Gallos. The tacos Al Pastor are to die for.

• Visited September 2013