“Good location to sight-see” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City

You added Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City to your Saves list
Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One East Penn Square, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Enjoy Great Summer Rates!
Ranked #37 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Palm Bay, Florida
“Good location to sight-see”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

My wife and I stayed for two nights in late September to do some sight-seeing while in town for my brother's wedding in south New Jersey (we moved to Mt. Laurel, NJ for the wedding after this stay). My brother’s finance’ suggested this location due to its proximity to the Old Town so I booked using Marriott points for our 2 night stay. We arrived around 1pm on Thursday and the staff person at the desk said that it would be no problem checking in early. We had a room on the ninth floor (918) and had no issue with traffic noise even though it is very busy on the street out front which is across from City Hall. The room was comfortable and roomy enough for the two of us and most importantly, clean . I sued the business center to check email and update my Facebook since I didn’t bring my laptop. It was a nice center with four PC and two printers. The fitness center was very nice and up to date. The breakfast area was the standard Residence Inn type but was well-stocked and the staff attending to it was very on the ball. Overall, we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. My wife realized that she left a pair of a very expensive shoes after we had moved hotels to New Jersey for the wedding. The lady, Della, was very helpful and arranged to have them shipped to our house in Florida and flowed up with a tracking number.

The walk from this location in the City Center area to the Old Town area where Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and other historic sites was very do-able as it took about 15 minutes to walk the 12 blocks. At night, we taxied down to the area for dinner and a great meal one evening at place called Farmica. We also took the Frommer’s book advice and avoided Geno’s and Pat’s and walked about two blocks farther to a little place called Cosmi’s Deli which was the best Chessesteak that I have ever tasted! We also enjoyed a really good breakfast one morning in the Reading Terminal at the Amish Restaurant. My wife thought that the eggs tasted really fresh and I really enjoyed the huge pancakes.

Overall, it was a very nice stay at the property and its location made everything walk able.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Kenosha, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

Good location. I also liked that they had a no party policy for the weekend. The breakfast buffet was also great.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
schuylkill haven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

I'm a Marriott member so I booked the room and used points for the free night stay. Arrived at 11:30 room was ready.I was expecting a garage view but i opened the blinds to see an incredible view of City Hall. Very nice at night when it is lit up. Purple and gold the night we stayed. Very close to the Reading Market. We loved it! Lots of great treats. We also went to Octberfest.I beleive it was Walnut or Chestnut St. Lots of fun ! Bands , food, beer a good time. We visited friends staying at the Holiday Inn they got the garage view!! LOL!

The room was very clean, loved the lobby. Valet parking rocks!! 42 dollars worth every penny.Never heard noise from the street. We stayed on the seventh floor. Breakfast was very fresh. Employees were helpful and friendly. We fogot toothpaste and the front desk had plenty.I stay at Marriotts because they have great beds and wonderful service. I also like the non-smoking rule. I would stay at this location again because its very close to everything, cheaper than Courtyard(next door) free breakfast,great service!!! The elevators are a bit different must use room key. Didn't always work though, but its for safety.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

Thanks to Josh, a front desk staffs and I believe he is one of the best front desk staffs in this hotel. He is very accommodating, pleasant to deal with especially feeling exhausted after traveling for many hours from our trip, I find him very helpful. Indeed there is a rude night front desk staff we have encountered with during our stay though, just be aware. In general, this place is good.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

This was my first stay at a Residence Inn. I booked it due to its proximity to the Pennsylvania Convention Center (on Penn Square, a 5 min walk to the CC). I also knew I'd be in my room (working) quite a bit, so I wanted a larger room.
I got their standard jr. suite, which has a king bed, plus a quasi-separated sitting room / kitchenette with fridge, cooktop, microwave, coffee maker and dishwasher.
The little workdesk is ok, with a relatively comfy chair, but not exactly ergonomically friendly ... but I've yet to find a hotel with a good workstation that doesn't hurt my neck/back/etc.
I was on the sixth floor, and there was some traffic noise. That doesn't bother me, but be advised that you should ask for a higher floor if it does bother you.
The bathroom is small and pretty dated, but clean... and the shower had excellent water pressure. Oddly, the sinks in the bathroom and kitchen had very poor pressure.
The complementary breakfast is pretty good. For hot breakfast, scrambled eggs, pork sausage patties, pancakes, grits, oatmeal, and a self-serve waffle-making station were some of the things I remember seeing. They also had bagels, bread and english muffins, with a toaster station, plus yogurt, fruit and cereal.
The exercise room is relatively well equipped, with three treadmills and at least as many stationary bikes (all with TVs attached), plus a rack of dumbbells and a few universal machines.Internet access is wireless and free in rooms and common areas. It's not very fast, but it is reliable. There is also a small business office on-site with 4-5 terminals and a free printer (which works, but appears to be on its last legs).
Apart from the breakfast area, which is nice, there is no other restaurant or bar on site, but there are plenty in the neighborhood. There are some sundry items available for purchase at the front desk, including, I believe, beer and wine. I didn't buy anything there, so I"m not sure about the prices.
All in all, the hotel was adequate for all my needs.and in a great, downtown location. And the regular rates are not very expensive (about $119, reserved directly on the Marriott website).

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Hamilton, NewJersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

My highest commendations to the wonderful staff of this fine hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Residence Inn, Philadelphia Center City - resulting in no small part from the helpfulness and friendliness of this Marriott property's team of employees. Everyone we encountered greeted us warmly and was very attentitve to our questions. Also, I made some requests for extra amenities in our room - including a DVD player. Everything I wanted was provided with absolutely no fuss, and at no extra cost.

Our 1 bedroom suite was immaculately clean and comfortable, although we did not find it to be as large as some other reviews have stated. The bathroom was absolutely tiny. However, for our group of 3 close friends, the accomodations worked out just fine. The king-sized bed had the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on. And my friend who bunked on the sofa bed said it was quite comfortable, also. He slept very well both nights. Some traffic noise was audible from the street below, but this is to be expected in such a busy area. However, we did not hear any noise from the rooms of other guests.

And OMG...what a VIEW!!!!!! I cannot say how wonderful it was to look out from our windows at the EXQUISITE facade of city hall by night. We were positively in awe of the sight.

The hotel's breakfast buffet was excellent - with choices ranging from scrambled eggs, sausage, pancakes and waffles, to cereal, yogurt and fruit. Everything you could want. Even Philly cheese sauce for your eggs & grits, too! YUM! All included free with the room price. The hotel's valet service was convenient and very efficient. We chose not to use in/out priviledges, as Philly makes it so easy to use public transportation. There are cabs lined up at the front door. And the Philly Phlash tourist bus stops just outside the hotel and goes just about everywhere in the city. But when we called for our car before checking out, it was promptly delivered. At $35 + $7 tax a night, the price is ok. It's tough to find parking in this area - and we found it well worth the cost.

The only problems were that the elevators are a little slow, as has been commented on by other Trip Advisor reviewers. But it did not cause us inconvenience. If you're not in a hurry, it probably won't bother you. Also, the hotel does not have a restaurant or room service. However, there is a Quizno's directly next to the hotel for quick munchie runs, and many nearby eateries. if you play on dining in your room, I would recommend researching a few local restaurants that deliver to the hotel before your stay.

Other than that, this is an excellent hotel with friendly service, at an extremely reasonable nightly rate. I honestly don't think you'll find a location better for seeing the historic sights of Center City Philadelphia. Marriott, you should be very proud of this hotel!

Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

I'm usually not impressed with Marriott hotels, but this Residence Inn was one of the best hotels I've stayed in recently in relation to the cost of our stay. Our corner room on the 19th floor was incredibly spacious and clean. It fit three adults and our dog very comfortably. When looking for a hotel in Philly that accepts pets, we looked at the city and suburbs and I'm most certainly happy we chose this hotel. It's in a very convenient location for all points of exploring Philadelphia (both in walking and/or taking the subway). I would stay here again without any hesitation. Oh, free internet is included in the room charge, which was very unexpected considering Marriott typically charges a fee for access.

The staff were incredibly pleasant and helpful, too. In terms of parking, there is a very cheap lot one block north of the hotel on Juniper at Filbert, which is significantly cheaper than the hotel valet option.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City? Share your experiences!