“Definitely Center of the City” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City

You added Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City to your Saves list
Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One East Penn Square, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Enjoy Great Summer Rates!
Ranked #39 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
South Park Township, Pennsylvania
“Definitely Center of the City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed at the Residence Inn for a tournament at the convention center. It was nice being that close that we could walk - and fortunately the weather was decent. Our room had a queen size bed and sleeper sofa. We had 3 people registered for the room but we didn't have bedding for the sofa. One phone call resolved that. The room had a full size refrigerator, stove top, and dishwasher plus plates and utensils. The fridge was great as we had cold drinks for the tournament. We loved looking at City Hall which is right across the street - fortunately our room faced it. The thing we didn't like was the noise from the street. We were only on the 3rd floor and it seems like the buses run all night. Being on the 3rd floor was helpful though as the elevators were slow. We took the steps many times. Lots of historical landmarks within (a slightly longer) walking distance. Make sure to get a map of all the sites. FYI - almost every road is a one way street which can make navigating very confusing.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Rochester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

The first room shown to us was very smokey smelling and the sofa was threadbare with stains. We asked to move and the second room was fine. The beds were comfortable and he breakfast was very good. No pool, but a decent workout room. The best part was the staff, who were very friendly and helpful. Valet parking was $48! If you park in a nearby garage, you can get it down to $29. Right next to the subway line and china town.

Room Tip: The room looking over the state house was nice. Not sure what the other side was.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Oak Harbor, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We were staying in Philly for a teachers conference and originally had reservations for the Marriott Downtown. After checking out our room and seeing how very expensive everything was, ($16.00 a day for in room wi-fi, no access to free computers, no microwave and terrible views) I walked over here to see if they could get us in. I talked to Marc at the front desk and he was able to get us in the next day with a beautiful view room, (2202)! The room was more like an apartment that overlooked beautiful city hall. The amenities included free breakfast and light dinners, wi-fi in our room and a business center with free computers to use. The staff at the front desk and the buffet room were so friendly, professional and helpful. This facility is so much better than the uppity Marriott Downtown!

Room Tip: 2202 has wonderful views!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

This hotel has a great location and seems to be generally the cheapest of the four Marriott properties in that area. I traveled twice to Philly in the last few weeks and stayed at 3 of the 4 Marriott's in Center City and I can say that this one is decent overall. I had a nice view of city hall from room and I liked the proximity to Septa and to a few good restaurants. My main complaints with this hotel are probably the main reason I would probably not stay here again though. First, there was no safe in my room. I had a small suite and I was surprised to look around and not see one. Also, on every day I was there, the water in the shower cut off at some point in the middle of my shower. It seems to be some kind of water pressure issue as I resolved it by just turning the water off and waiting a minute before turning it back on. Not what you expect from a nice Marriott. I mentioned it to the front desk and they said they would send maintenance to take a look but as you might imagine with a water pressure issue, maintenance can't fix it easily.

Room Tip: Higher floor is better.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Ed F, General Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Michael S,

I wanted to thank you for commenting regarding your past stay with us in July. We are in a great location being in downtown Philadelpha. We are in the hub of activity with City Hall across the street and Reading Terminal two short blocks away. I did see that you commented that you were wanting a safe. We do have plenty of save deposit boxes located at the front desk. You also commented regarding no water pressure one morning. Unfortunately, there was a steam issue in the city that caused some issues with some hotels/offices one morning. Very sorry that you had this issue but the good news is that it came right back on for you. We do appreciate you staying with us and welcome you back for future visits.

Hernando Beach, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

This is an older hotel - not as modern or chic if you are a Marriott member. I tried to get in the convention center hotel but they were booked. When we arrived and I knew there were nicer hotels we walked to the convention center location and they told me to come here ...I wanted to show my siblings a great time for the weekend including a nicer hotel as this was my gift. Price is good and rooms are spacious with the living area. I am spoiled by Marriott's other properties and wanted to share that experience with the family - that's all.

Room Tip: Stay up on the 10th floor or higher for the view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Virginia N,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us in June. The hotel has a different feel than the other hotels in the city. The hotel has a historic past with being built back in the 1900's. We're lucky to have one of the nicest staff that any of the hotels have. We're extremely sorry that your hotel room was not up to standards that you were expecting when booking the hotel. If at any time you would like to talk further please don't hesitate in contacting me at the hotel.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

This hotel could not have a better location. I was coming in from the airport and the train stop is less than two blocks away. Independence Hall and LOVE sculpture is within walking distance. I arrived well before check-in time and was able to leave my bag with the front desk with no issues. I asked for a lunch recommendation and the front desk was extremely helpful (Reading Market). I arrived back at the hotel to check in and a room was ready to go and it was AWESOME! Kelly set us up in a corner studio (10th floor I believe). One view was of the city hall (beautiful at night) and the other was of Macy's. Cool aspect is that you have to use your room card to access the elevator. The sink and mirror were located outside the bathroom which is always a plus when traveling with others. I don't understand people commenting on the size of the bathroom, it's a vintage building, that is the way they built them! The bellman/valet were always there to open a door and greet us. Overall a great experience! Great priceline find!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that ends in 02
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hopedale, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I was in town with 3 colleagues to take an exam for a year-long certification course. We were so stressed and had lots of cramming to do. Marc, Thomas, and the rest of the staff could tell we were a bit flustered and accommodated a room change for one of us and our time constraints in fetching the car. Marc called The Walnut Street Supper Club and got us in during prime dining hours when everywhere else was full because of events in the city. They caught us coming back from our day long exam and asked us how it went, then gave us a complementary bottle of wine to celebrate! Exceptional friendly, personal service. I'm definitely coming back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing City Hall. The scaffolds are finally down and you can see the gorgeous facade.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Rey 72,

Thanks for the wonderfuly comments regarding how well Marc and Thomas took good care of you after a rough exam. Marc is one of the best supervisors that I've ever had in a hotel and you all got to see why. He will always go out of his way in making stays to be as good as they could possibly be. I'm so glad he was able to get you all into the Walnut Street Supper Club on a really busy night. So glad you loved Philly!

Sincerely, Ed F

Been to Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City? Share your experiences!