“Nice place in great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City to your Saves list
Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One East Penn Square, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #39 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
Natick,Massachusetts
“Nice place in great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This hotel is right in the midst of downtown next to City Hall, so everything is within walking distance.

The problem with that is if you are driving, it can be a little tricky to find with all the one-way streets downtown. We circled a few times before we figured it out.

The room was nice and clean and the shower was good, and they even had a Jacuzzi in our room which was nice.

Overall, I would stay here again only if I didn't drive in. As others have noted, the valet parking is $40 which is ridiculous. Upon checkout, there's also an $8 city parking tax, and with tip, you end up paying over $50 to park overnight!

The breakfast that was included was very good with many choices and a very friendly staff.

We had no problem with the valet parking....they greeted us right away upon arrival and calling for our car upon departure took only 10 minutes.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

398 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Got to Philadelphia early and the front desk got me an early check in, a great start for a short stay. Fast and efficient check in, thanks Kelly! Nice room, recently refurbished, quiet on the 8th floor. Very clean, very friendly and courteous staff-front desk, breakfast servers and maintenance folks all helpful.
The hotel is very centrally located in Center City. No complaints. I parked myself in a lot around the corner (Convention Center Parking), get a discount before parking voucher before going, I saved $35 parking from noon day 1 to 8PM Day 2.
I will stay there again.

Room Tip: The guest service staff is nice, just ask them, they will steer your right!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Ed F, General Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear TheCFO,

Just wanted to thank you for the nice comments regarding our engineering team, breakfast servers and the Front desk. They work extremely hard each and everyday making sure our guests have a memorable stay in Philadelphia. I'm glad the team gave you the info to save on parking as long as you don't have to move your car in/out during your stay. The Front desk team also is very familiar with all of the restaurants, shows and entertainment the city has to offer.

Thanks Ed Farrington
Maryland Heights, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

You want to know why your paying so much. And if you didn't book eirly in phily u pay for it. But don't worrie, this place is clean and roomy you can walk to anything - Chinatown, liberty park, bus depot, market, restaurants, macys... Continental breakfast is the best ever. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Parking? Might as well valet though there is public lot in the back. Just stayed the night. Very comfortable. Wifi icemachine kitchen cable clean large room and bath room.

• Stayed September 2013
Atlanta, GA.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel twice this year and both times were a disappointment. When I booked this trip I had forgotten why I didn't like it last stay, the LONG wait for valet parking. I was immediately reminded upon arrival when no valet was within site when I pulled up. Had to go in and ask for a valet. They did show up in a few minutes so not a huge deal but way below the service I expect at any Marriott brand. There policy asks you to call for your car 30 minutes in advance. Yet in two stays I did that and still HAD TO WAIT for my car when I got downstairs. Unacceptable valet service in my opinion and they charge $40 per night for the valet. The valet is seriously understaffed and since it happened three times on two different stays I'd guess this was not a fluke but regular problem.

The best part of this hotel is the location. It is excellent. But there is also a full service Marriott, a Marriott Courtyard, and a Ritz Carlton on the same square so I won't be staying here again. All the other options are much better.

My room..... Dated furnishings is the best way to describe it. It needs some serious updates. Towels and bedding were pretty basic, upgrades amenities are needed here.

But the biggest problem for my stay was the noise. First the A/C was noisy. It sounded like someone was in the shower when it turned on. Engineering actually improved that problem by making an adjustment so I was happy about that. However there was banging noises both in the evening and in the mornings. It was the water pipes! And it is loud noises not just a little background noise. How did I know it was the pipes?? Well when I took a shower, half way through the shower the water stopped! Then made the banging noises, then the water started again. I mentioned this to the reception desk and they made note of it. But they didn't seem surprised so I suspect this a common problem. They need serious facility repairs at this location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Ed F, General Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear TLinAtl,

Very sorry to hear that the valet drivers weren't available upon your arrival. Unfortunately at times they are retrieving other cars for the guests but as you said they were there a short time later. I'm upset to hear about the issues that you had to deal with with the water and pipes making noise. That's not something any guest should have to deal with when staying in a hotel and I apologize for that. If you want to take further my email is edward.farrington@marriott.com or 215-557-0005 so we could go over more of your stay.

Thanks Ed Farrington
Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights during a recent long weekend in Philadelphia. I was very pleased with the hotel and would not hesitate to stay there again. If Tripadvisor would allow me to give the property a "Very Good +" rating, I would do so without hesitation. (There were a few glitches that keep me from giving it an "Excellent" rating.)

The location is ideal for tourist activities. I did not have a car and did not need one. The hotel is ideally situated nearly in the middle of the major tourist attractions of the city. I walked everywhere and loved it. The hotel is also on the Big Bus Tour route, so that is very convenient, and I recommend it for a good overview of the city.

Check-in was a breeze and very pleasant. That was my only experience with the front desk personnel. I was given a room upgrade, which was an unexpected perk. I had reserved a studio but was given a 1-bedroom with a separate living area/kitchen. It was great for me -- plenty of room to spread out for the weekend! I felt like I had a cozy apartment of my own in the heart of downtown Philly. The kitchen had nearly everything I wanted, except an oven. It would have been nice to have an oven, but this was not a major drawback as I'm not much of a cook!

There is no standard hotel room service, but delivered food is available from a nearby Chili's restaurant. There is a ton of variety! The pepperoni pizza was surprisingly good. (Great pizza from Chili's -- who knew?) I enjoyed the convenience of this dining option so much that I opted for it for all three nights. However, the service deteriorated significantly during my visit. Night 1: Food arrived in about 20 minutes (though I was told to expect 30 to 45 minutes)...Night 2: food arrived in about 45 minutes (as I was promised)...Night 3: food took over 2 HOURS and multiple phone calls to arrive (I was originally told it would take 30 minutes). After that experience, I would advise someone to avoid it. Place a carryout order and go pick it up yourself if you want Chili's food.

Reading Terminal Market is located almost next door to the hotel -- TONS of food choices! And perhaps the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever eaten (4th Street Cookie Company). I was less impressed by Bassett's Ice Cream -- underwhelming, at best.

Just a couple criticisms of the hotel. It would have been nice to have tourist literature in the room. There was none. Yes, there are Paul Mitchell toiletries, but they are so tiny! If I had been sharing the room with another person or family members, there is no way there would have been enough shampoo and conditioner. Yes, I'm sure the hotel would have provided extras if asked, but that is an inconvenience. Finally, the elevator situation is really lacking. If the hotel is crowded, get ready to wait a long time for the elevator. Pack your patience!!!

I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again. It was clean, comfortable, and in a great location at a decent price.

P.S. I read earlier reviews that complained about the noise. My room was on the 8th floor and faced a parking lot. Noise was not a problem. But I can see that if you have a room on a lower floor facing the beautiful City Government building, it could get noisy due to road traffic.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Ed F, General Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Louise Cincinatti,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time in letting us know how your stay went. We do use Chili's like most of the hotels nearby giving an opportunity to get food sent to your room. I was very upset to hear about the issues that you had on your final night and will be getting with management there to find out what occurred and make sure it doesn't happen again. We've had a great business partnership with them but want to make sure they are servicing our guests.

Thanks again for staying with us at Residence Inn Center City.

Sincerely Ed Farrington General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was in town for a wedding and chose to stay at the Residence Inn. The wedding was held at another hotel two blocks away so the Residence Inn was the perfect spot for all the festivities and to walk around the city.

We stayed in a one bedroom and the bed and pillows were comfortable. The living room and kitchen were nice, but we didn't really utilize it during our stay. The bathroom had Paul Mitchell products, which was pleasant surprise. Overall, the location is awesome and the staff were very pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed one night over labor day weekend and had a one bedroom - two queen bed - suite. The living space was a bit small but it was satisfactory. At check in, the front desk clerk saw that my daughter was holding a giraffe blanket and put a giraffe toy in the platinum rewards bag - it totally made my daughter's day and she still loves playing with that toy! It was a small but very thoughtful gesture.

Upon check in I did notice a strange odor in the room which I thought might be cigarette smoke either that or it was a funky left over smell from their cleaning products, either way I was not happy with the smell. I did call the front desk and they sent someone to check out whether someone had been smoking in the room or on the floor but that person couldn't smell anything.
Now on to the total lack of sleep we got that night....
The view of city hall was lovely but it is was very noisy that night- a lot of motorcycles going around and around the city hall block which made it difficult to sleep. When we arrived in the hotel the thermostat was set at 66 - a bit chilly, so I put it to 73, thinking that should be nice. It was HOT in the middle of the night and so my husband got up to lower the thermostat, and the a/c kicked in - what we didn't realize is that the A/C unit seemed to be housed in a closet in the wall so every time it kicked on it was so incredibly loud it woke us all up - including my toddler daughter who did not want to go back to sleep ...so between the motorcycle that kept us up initially and the A/C - upon check out we had all been awake since 3:30 in the morning...not a restful night at all!

We did inform the hotel staff about our horrible night sleep and they did give us a bonus points towards our Marriott stay. It was a nice gesture and kudos to them to try and "fix" things, but did not make up for the horrific sleep.

That being said, I might stay here again because it's so centrally located- just maybe not during the summer.

p.s. the breakfast buffet was ample and they did not run out of food, everything was hot and fresh. There were long lines to use the waffle iron...and people weren't always on their best behavior in line but that has nothing to do with the hotel, just the fact that "free food" and buffet lines makes people forget their manners.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Ed F, General Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Travelsfar1234

Thank you for the nice comment regarding our Front desk agent who kindly gave your daughter the toy giraffe. We know how tough it can be traveling with kids away from home so we like to have little play toys and coloring books to have when they arrive or at breakfast time. Very sorry to hear about the HVAC thermostat not working properly during your night. At anytime of day please don't hesitate in calling the hotel front desk. We have engineering on duty 24 hrs a day to assist if needed like most hotels. I do apologize that you had to deal with that and the noise of motorcycles outside the hotel. Unfortunately there was alot of activity going on downtown with the Made in America Concert thus causing more traffic and noise than a normal weekend. It's great for business but can get a little louder than normal. I'm glad the front desk helped you out the best that they could.
Thanks again for staying with us!

Been to Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City? Share your experiences!