“Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City to your Saves list
Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One East Penn Square, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #38 of 82 Hotels in Philadelphia
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was in town for a wedding and chose to stay at the Residence Inn. The wedding was held at another hotel two blocks away so the Residence Inn was the perfect spot for all the festivities and to walk around the city.

We stayed in a one bedroom and the bed and pillows were comfortable. The living room and kitchen were nice, but we didn't really utilize it during our stay. The bathroom had Paul Mitchell products, which was pleasant surprise. Overall, the location is awesome and the staff were very pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed one night over labor day weekend and had a one bedroom - two queen bed - suite. The living space was a bit small but it was satisfactory. At check in, the front desk clerk saw that my daughter was holding a giraffe blanket and put a giraffe toy in the platinum rewards bag - it totally made my daughter's day and she still loves playing with that toy! It was a small but very thoughtful gesture.

Upon check in I did notice a strange odor in the room which I thought might be cigarette smoke either that or it was a funky left over smell from their cleaning products, either way I was not happy with the smell. I did call the front desk and they sent someone to check out whether someone had been smoking in the room or on the floor but that person couldn't smell anything.
Now on to the total lack of sleep we got that night....
The view of city hall was lovely but it is was very noisy that night- a lot of motorcycles going around and around the city hall block which made it difficult to sleep. When we arrived in the hotel the thermostat was set at 66 - a bit chilly, so I put it to 73, thinking that should be nice. It was HOT in the middle of the night and so my husband got up to lower the thermostat, and the a/c kicked in - what we didn't realize is that the A/C unit seemed to be housed in a closet in the wall so every time it kicked on it was so incredibly loud it woke us all up - including my toddler daughter who did not want to go back to sleep ...so between the motorcycle that kept us up initially and the A/C - upon check out we had all been awake since 3:30 in the morning...not a restful night at all!

We did inform the hotel staff about our horrible night sleep and they did give us a bonus points towards our Marriott stay. It was a nice gesture and kudos to them to try and "fix" things, but did not make up for the horrific sleep.

That being said, I might stay here again because it's so centrally located- just maybe not during the summer.

p.s. the breakfast buffet was ample and they did not run out of food, everything was hot and fresh. There were long lines to use the waffle iron...and people weren't always on their best behavior in line but that has nothing to do with the hotel, just the fact that "free food" and buffet lines makes people forget their manners.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Ed F, General Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Travelsfar1234

Thank you for the nice comment regarding our Front desk agent who kindly gave your daughter the toy giraffe. We know how tough it can be traveling with kids away from home so we like to have little play toys and coloring books to have when they arrive or at breakfast time. Very sorry to hear about the HVAC thermostat not working properly during your night. At anytime of day please don't hesitate in calling the hotel front desk. We have engineering on duty 24 hrs a day to assist if needed like most hotels. I do apologize that you had to deal with that and the noise of motorcycles outside the hotel. Unfortunately there was alot of activity going on downtown with the Made in America Concert thus causing more traffic and noise than a normal weekend. It's great for business but can get a little louder than normal. I'm glad the front desk helped you out the best that they could.
Thanks again for staying with us!
Acton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We came to Philly to see the sights and this was a medium priced hotel in the right area.

The room was large with a nice sitting area, and the staff were friendly and efficient. A burnt out light bulb was promptly fixed.

The mattress was a bit soft and like many hotels the thick mattress had fitted sheets that did not fit

Wi-fi worked well and is free and the included breakfast was perfectly adequate. Each of the three days we stayed was a different fresh fruit option along with cereals, and cooked items.

On the second floor is actually a nice area where we sat and relaxed with friends and discussed plans for the day. Basic free teais provided there as well.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mike Birdman,

I want to thank you for taking the time in giving your feedback on your stay. I appreciate the nice comments regarding the 2nd floor open "Great Room" that we have for guests to relax and unwind before heading out to explore Philadelphia.

Thanks again and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I've been to Philadelphia a few times for weekend visits, but this was my first week-long stay. I brought my parents here during their annual visit to the East Coast because they'd never been to Philly and I knew they'd love it. We wanted a place that had some space to relax and was also centrally located to the museums, historical destinations and great restaurants. This Residence Inn was perfect! It was in the middle of everything we wanted to do. We walked or took SEPTA most everywhere and didn't have any problems getting around without a car.
Our room was large with a separate bedroom, sofabed, and a functional kitchen, which really made it easy to enjoy our nearby Reading Terminal Market bounty. The daily breakfast was a real breakfast and not just a stale sweet roll and cup of coffee. Having laundry machines onsite also helped toward the end of the week.
Overall it was a great week with my parents in Philadelphia. They had a great time and I have to believe that part of that can be credited to this Residence Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

I will start with the positives. The location was great. Within walking distance to liberty bell, reading terminal, convention centre etc. The breakfast that was included was great. It had a little bit of everything like waffles, yogurt, eggs, bacon etc. Free wifi. The ladies working the front desk during the day were friendly and very helpful. Room was large but very out dated. I think it would be great if you were staying there with children. Now my first impression was not the best. I had booked a king suite through expedia and when I arrived early in the morning I received a queen suite. I showed my confirmation showing I was guaranted a king suite and asked for a king. The guy was very unfriendly and unhelpful. He told me I needed to deal with expedia. To me it sounded like I wasn't a paying guest because I didn't pay the hotel directly. I have never booked with a hotel directly when I travel. sometimes I book through Westjet etc and have never had an issue. I would stay here only if I booked directly with the hotel or you may not be treated like a guest. I was only booked for 2 nights so I just took the room as I was sick of argueing so early in the morning. I changed hotels after the 2 nights. I then stayed at Hamptons Inn and had a great experience. Parking was expensive here too much cheaper at the Hamptons.

• Stayed September 2013
Ed F, General Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear BAB2013,

Thank you for taking the time in giving us feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Thanks for the nice comments regarding the ladies at the desk and the breakfast. I don't know exactly what time you arrived at the hotel to check-in but you did say you arrived very early in the morning. Check in time is 4pm for the hotel and we cannot guarantee room type if you're arriving hours prior to check in time.Guests have until 12 noon for departure time so hotels more than likely would not have your guaranteed room type unless you arrive after check in time so the staff can have all rooms ready for the new guests. The hotel receives alot of reservations through eChannels and we rated in 2013 Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor. If you would like to talk directly to me my email address is edward.farrington@marriott.com or 1-215-557-0005.
Jupiter. Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The location is great. You can walk one block to Reading Terimal Market, the convention center and delicious restaurants. The hotel is in a nice older remodeled building. We enjoyed using the gym and swimming pool. We slept nicely in a quiet room at th back of the hotel. Our room's sink area is very tight, almost no room to put anything near the sink, especially for two people sharing a room. Overall the hotel is very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back of the hotel. Rear elevators make everything near the back a quick...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Scottdale, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Great location, spotless & comfortable rooms, very friendly staff. Would highly recommend. The bed was soft & comfortable, you just snuggle into it for sound nights of sleep. We stayed on 19th floor, with a spectacular view of City Hall. The complimentary hot breakfast buffet was very nice & enjoyed the late afternoon manager's reception.
We had a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Ask for room facing City Hall -- the view is breath-taking!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Ed F, General Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Hello Ruth J. I want to thank you for taking the time out of your day in giving such nice comments regarding our staff at the hotel. The entire team is fully committed in making sure each and every guest has a terrific experience while staying here. We hope to see you again next time you travel to Philadelphia! Thanks again for staying with us at Marriott Residence Inn Center City, Philadelphia.

Been to Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City? Share your experiences!