“Good size room with great location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City to your Saves list
Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One East Penn Square, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #39 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
Acton, Massachusetts
“Good size room with great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We came to Philly to see the sights and this was a medium priced hotel in the right area.

The room was large with a nice sitting area, and the staff were friendly and efficient. A burnt out light bulb was promptly fixed.

The mattress was a bit soft and like many hotels the thick mattress had fitted sheets that did not fit

Wi-fi worked well and is free and the included breakfast was perfectly adequate. Each of the three days we stayed was a different fresh fruit option along with cereals, and cooked items.

On the second floor is actually a nice area where we sat and relaxed with friends and discussed plans for the day. Basic free teais provided there as well.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ed F, General Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Mike Birdman,

I want to thank you for taking the time in giving your feedback on your stay. I appreciate the nice comments regarding the 2nd floor open "Great Room" that we have for guests to relax and unwind before heading out to explore Philadelphia.

Thanks again and look forward to seeing you again soon.

401 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I've been to Philadelphia a few times for weekend visits, but this was my first week-long stay. I brought my parents here during their annual visit to the East Coast because they'd never been to Philly and I knew they'd love it. We wanted a place that had some space to relax and was also centrally located to the museums, historical destinations and great restaurants. This Residence Inn was perfect! It was in the middle of everything we wanted to do. We walked or took SEPTA most everywhere and didn't have any problems getting around without a car.
Our room was large with a separate bedroom, sofabed, and a functional kitchen, which really made it easy to enjoy our nearby Reading Terminal Market bounty. The daily breakfast was a real breakfast and not just a stale sweet roll and cup of coffee. Having laundry machines onsite also helped toward the end of the week.
Overall it was a great week with my parents in Philadelphia. They had a great time and I have to believe that part of that can be credited to this Residence Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

I will start with the positives. The location was great. Within walking distance to liberty bell, reading terminal, convention centre etc. The breakfast that was included was great. It had a little bit of everything like waffles, yogurt, eggs, bacon etc. Free wifi. The ladies working the front desk during the day were friendly and very helpful. Room was large but very out dated. I think it would be great if you were staying there with children. Now my first impression was not the best. I had booked a king suite through expedia and when I arrived early in the morning I received a queen suite. I showed my confirmation showing I was guaranted a king suite and asked for a king. The guy was very unfriendly and unhelpful. He told me I needed to deal with expedia. To me it sounded like I wasn't a paying guest because I didn't pay the hotel directly. I have never booked with a hotel directly when I travel. sometimes I book through Westjet etc and have never had an issue. I would stay here only if I booked directly with the hotel or you may not be treated like a guest. I was only booked for 2 nights so I just took the room as I was sick of argueing so early in the morning. I changed hotels after the 2 nights. I then stayed at Hamptons Inn and had a great experience. Parking was expensive here too much cheaper at the Hamptons.

• Stayed September 2013
Ed F, General Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear BAB2013,

Thank you for taking the time in giving us feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Thanks for the nice comments regarding the ladies at the desk and the breakfast. I don't know exactly what time you arrived at the hotel to check-in but you did say you arrived very early in the morning. Check in time is 4pm for the hotel and we cannot guarantee room type if you're arriving hours prior to check in time.Guests have until 12 noon for departure time so hotels more than likely would not have your guaranteed room type unless you arrive after check in time so the staff can have all rooms ready for the new guests. The hotel receives alot of reservations through eChannels and we rated in 2013 Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor. If you would like to talk directly to me my email address is edward.farrington@marriott.com or 1-215-557-0005.
Jupiter. Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The location is great. You can walk one block to Reading Terimal Market, the convention center and delicious restaurants. The hotel is in a nice older remodeled building. We enjoyed using the gym and swimming pool. We slept nicely in a quiet room at th back of the hotel. Our room's sink area is very tight, almost no room to put anything near the sink, especially for two people sharing a room. Overall the hotel is very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back of the hotel. Rear elevators make everything near the back a quick...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Scottdale, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Great location, spotless & comfortable rooms, very friendly staff. Would highly recommend. The bed was soft & comfortable, you just snuggle into it for sound nights of sleep. We stayed on 19th floor, with a spectacular view of City Hall. The complimentary hot breakfast buffet was very nice & enjoyed the late afternoon manager's reception.
We had a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Ask for room facing City Hall -- the view is breath-taking!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Ed F, General Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Hello Ruth J. I want to thank you for taking the time out of your day in giving such nice comments regarding our staff at the hotel. The entire team is fully committed in making sure each and every guest has a terrific experience while staying here. We hope to see you again next time you travel to Philadelphia! Thanks again for staying with us at Marriott Residence Inn Center City, Philadelphia.
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

When I there in Philadelphia, it rained almost everyday and it limited lots of exploring. however, because of the convenient location of the hotel, I was able to navigate, even with the terrible weather. There's Macy's right across street and other shopping areas all within walking distance.
The best part is the Reading Market is located about five minute walking distance from the hotel and there's so many things to eat!
There's free mini snacks round 5-7pm everyday, and there are not so bad, considering it's included. The wifi worked really worked as well. If you need anything, the 7-11 store right next to the hotel lobby.
I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on and off for over 15 nights over a few weeks. The first problem I had was I experienced extreme rudeness from the woman at the front desk. That paled extremely in comparison, however, to my last few days there.

I had a significant bedbug problem.

I woke up one morning to see a bug crawling in my bed and found a series of bites on my leg and body. I captured the bug, took it down to the lobby and reported finding it in my bed and the fact that I had bites to the manager, Chris. He took the bug from me and when I called later said that particular bug was not a bedbug (which I believe was actually correct) and that pest control had checked the rest of the room and found nothing (which I found out later was a complete lie). He said it was unnecessary to change rooms and since I was already out for the day at work, I asked that the room just be thouroughly cleaned, sheets changed, etc..
I arrived back at 4 Am after work and found that they did not even change the sheets on the bed. A maintenance person came up about a half hour later with new sheets but had no idea how to make a bed. I tossed and turned all night with dreams about bedbugs.

The next day I found more creepy bugs near the sink. I immediately went down to the manager and was taken into a back room, away from the rest of the guests and lectured that buildings have bugs in them and that I was being paranoid. I checked out of the hotel that day and made a stop before I went back to NYC..

Only several hours later, while on a train back to NYC was I called by Chris and told that I should throw out all my luggage and dry clean all my clothes "just as a precaution". They did not, at the time, even admit to finding bedbugs in the room. It was only a few days later when I spoke to a Marriott claims adjuster that I found out they had found multiple adult bedbugs in the room.

I am 100 percent sure that Marriott corporate, the hands on day manager at the time Chris and the general manager, Edward [----------] were made well aware of this situation and I can prove it with emails that mention them by name. This situation was handled about as poorly as it could be and nobody in the chain of command seemed to care.
I will never stay at this hotel or any Marriott residence Inn. As a matter of fact it has changed my opinion of the entire Marriott chain. I highly recommend staying away from this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ed F, General Manager at Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Scotym,

I want to thank you for taking the time in filling out comments regarding your stay but unfortunately I do not remember this from October 2012. I went through all of our TripAdvisor comments from last August through December and only recall one other comment close to your sign-on name and that was Scott M but it said nothing regarding what is entered now. If you would like to reach out to me directly at edward.farrington@marriott.com or hotel 1-215-557-0005 so we could go over that would be great.

Been to Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City? Share your experiences!