“Decent mid range hotel in Center City” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City to your Saves list
Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One East Penn Square, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #39 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
Philadelphia, PA
“Decent mid range hotel in Center City”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I spent the night at the Residence Inn recently when we attended a formal event in town. The location is very good if you want to be right at City Hall, as it is actually in the traffic circle that surrounds it. On a Saturday evening, the biggest problem we encountered was actually get close enough to the property to drop off our luggage. We couldn't get anywhere near the entrance, and with a Courtyard right next door, it was a literal traffic nightmare.
We finally opted to just go to our offsite parking and walk down to the hotel. Once we got there, our check in went very fast and we were on our way to our room. We had a nice view on the 20th floor, looking right out onto City Hall. Although I thought I had booked a one bedroom suite, the room I got was more like a studio, as there was no division between the living room/kitchen and the sleeping area. It was more of just an L shape. If I was paying for a stay and not using Marriott points, I would have probably inquired about it, but we were only there for one night and the room met our needs.
For a Marriott property, the rooms themselves seem a bit dated. The furniture is not high end by any stretch of the imagination. Counter tops are not granite.
The stay included breakfast until 10:00am. We got there around 9:40am and were lucky to get full selections. As it approached 10:00, the staff begins to break down the buffet, with the coffee going first! So if you want breakfast, don't be late.
Overall, the property met our needs for a single overnight in Center City. It is middle of the road at best. If you are looking for upscale Residence Inn, this is not the hotel for you. But the location is great, which in a large city like Philadelphia counts for a lot.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of City Hall.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

401 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The hotel is right across from Philly’s gorgeous City Hall. That’s pretty much all I can say for it. The lobby has extremely low ceilings, and feels dark and musty. The second floor bar area is much more what you would expect from a lobby. Our corner room had one of the weirdest layouts I’ve ever seen, with a small kitchenette and living room, tiny sleeping area, and oddly configured bathroom. The room was straight out of 1995, and the furniture showed it. Wifi was fast and free. As for the breakfast, it only is offered til 10a.m. on the weekends, so by the time we got up and down there, we were out of luck. I’ve never seen a hotel where breakfast stops at 10 on the weekend before.

The hotel was very crowded and boisterous, and I could see staying there if you needed a kitchenette for some reason. Otherwise, the Courtyard next door -- which was the same price -- looked much nicer. Other hotels are in the nicer Rittenhouse Square area for the same or less.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Harrington Park, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Went on sightseeing weekend last weekend. The hotel was very well located. The room was adequate though the bathroom was very small. We were very pleased with the girls at the desk. They were very helpful. Watch out for the valet parking. Our car was damaged and no one told us about it. We didn't notice until we went for gas. Try to park elsewhere!!!

L

Room Tip: The views from the high floors are very nic
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very friendly staff at this hotel, which goes a long way with this weary traveler. From check-in to check-out, and everything in between, they made me smile.

Room itself was clean and comfy. And, I had a spectacular view from the 25th flr!

Only two minor beefs: the wake-up call system was off by 19 mins (which is a lot at the crack of dawn). Told front desk...hope they fixed it. Second item was the HVAC system was loud.

Both items that I could live with.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Although you can't beat the location of this hotel (right in front of city hall), it does leave something to be desired in terms of the room itself. The room is large and spacious but in my opinion, it does not make good use of the space. The bathroom is tiny with barely enough room to close the door! There is a small vanity outside of the bathroom which is nice if 2 people are trying to get ready but this place definitely needs a larger bathroom. The bathroom itself was not as clean as I would have liked and needed some upgrades.Also, I wish the rooms were a bit more "smell proof" - we smelled like curry all weekend because someone in a room on a our hall was cooking and it stunk up the entire hallway and seeped into all the rooms. Don't get me wrong, I love curry - but don't want to wear it like perfume. Other than that, our bed and the room were comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
North Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This hotel was located in a good location, right on the circle around City Hall. You have to REALLY look for the gold awning to see where to pull up to drop off your luggage and valet park. Parking is typical BIG CITY price $48 and you really don't have another viable option. Don't expect help with your luggage. My daughter and I had several pieces of luggage and NOT ONE person offered to help us. In fact the gentleman who was out front "managing" the arrival and departure of guests walked AROUND to the drivers side of my car when the valet parking attendant was leaving my car and I am still not sure what he was doing, but it wasn't helping us.....AT ALL. He just sort of wandered around our car as my daughter and I loaded the van. The breakfast bar was nice and relatively complete and the 2nd floor is a comfortable meeting area with plenty of chairs and tvs. Our room was typical for a Residence Inn, small refrigerator, microwave and two burner stove. We had a nice view of City Hall, a queen size bed and a pull out sofa. Our pull out sofa was not equipped with linens and we looked EVERY where in our room- not even an extra pillow. We could have called down for them but when we realized it at midnight we were too tired to wait, so mother and daughter piled into the queen sized bed- problem solved.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view if that is important to you.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Not sure of value as we used our points, but loved the hotel. Nice room, neat and clean with plenty of space. Decent breakfast options, free wi-fi and a nice friendly bar.

Most of all was the location, location location (as they say in real estate). Across from city hall and right near all N E S W bus and metro connections.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City? Share your experiences!